Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
owen556

For Any Guitarists Dealing With Tendonitis

I might as well change that to coping, or suffering from tendonitis. I've had it since December and its ruined the year for me. My progress on guitar was slowed tremendously, my workout routine had to end after making some decent gains, and now I'm on a month long break from guitar. Maybe more depending on how my wrists/thumbs heal- IF they heal.

I guess it started when I punched a friend of mine (seeing how hard we could punch) and I felt like Id broken my thumb after and for the next month it ached. X-rays didn't say anything and I kinda dealt with it for like three months wearing braces and icing it and of course not playing guitar. It went away and I resumed working out and playing slowly until it came back AGAIN about a month and a half later. I was able to play guitar for a while with it but the pain became excruciating and I really miss working out....

So I've been ice dipping both hands now because they both ache all the time. Ice dipping basically means you place your hands in a bucket of ice until they go numb in order to reduce inflammation.

Anyone else suffer from bad wrists/thumbs? Did it ever get better? What did you do to speed the healing process? I'd love some feedback because it kills my mood not being able to play or lift =/ Besides it gets really boring around here lol
owen556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:32 AM   #2
supersac

i dont have much advice

just relax and get your technique down good and it you feel discomfort or tension while playing fix it

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:06 AM   #3
DoubleBassCrash

I got that shit in my left hand, especially in the thumb, some days are worse than others, it has gotten better but it hasn't gone away, I hope it does go away eventually, I've had it for about three or four months now. As a right-handed guitarist I've had to start teaching myself to play left-handed, flipping the guitar the other way & using my left hand to strum, it's crazy how much faster my right hand has picked up the fretboard versus the left but it's truly like starting all over again, very frustrating after you've put years into playing one way. We use our hands for everything, crazy how much we take for granted until it's taken away, there's some stuff I just can't play anymore, time will tell whether it's been taken from me for good or if I'm privileged enough to get it back. I feel your pain, literally, & I wish you best, too.

I've never used the cold treatments you're using, when I finally went to see the doctor about it I was shown hand exercises, places to apply pressure on the tendon for brief moments off & on repetitively, then after the exercise massaging the area, using warm water treatments to loosen my hands up. That stuff definitely works for me, just make sure you don't sleep it on, cut back on using that hand as much as you can so the tendon can heal & doesn't tear, more tearing only makes it worse...
DoubleBassCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:42 AM   #4
wiggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by owen556
I might as well change that to coping, or suffering from tendonitis. I've had it since December and its ruined the year for me. My progress on guitar was slowed tremendously, my workout routine had to end after making some decent gains, and now I'm on a month long break from guitar. Maybe more depending on how my wrists/thumbs heal- IF they heal.

I guess it started when I punched a friend of mine (seeing how hard we could punch) and I felt like Id broken my thumb after and for the next month it ached. X-rays didn't say anything and I kinda dealt with it for like three months wearing braces and icing it and of course not playing guitar. It went away and I resumed working out and playing slowly until it came back AGAIN about a month and a half later. I was able to play guitar for a while with it but the pain became excruciating and I really miss working out....

So I've been ice dipping both hands now because they both ache all the time. Ice dipping basically means you place your hands in a bucket of ice until they go numb in order to reduce inflammation.

Anyone else suffer from bad wrists/thumbs? Did it ever get better? What did you do to speed the healing process? I'd love some feedback because it kills my mood not being able to play or lift =/ Besides it gets really boring around here lol

I use 2 buckets, one with warm water about 42C. The other I float a couple (2 litre) of bottles of ice to make the water about 12C. I go 3 minutes in warm then 1 minute in cold and repeat 3 times. My hands are Almost 100% I reckon they were about 30% last November.

btw for those here that like to get all righteous, this is not medical advice!!! It's Buckets of water for Christ sake!

wiggedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:04 AM   #5
Spaztikko

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggedy
I use 2 buckets, one with warm water about 42C. The other I float a couple (2 litre) of bottles of ice to make the water about 12C. I go 3 minutes in warm then 1 minute in cold and repeat 3 times. My hands are Almost 100% I reckon they were about 30% last November.

btw for those here that like to get all righteous, this is not medical advice!!! It's Buckets of water for Christ sake!

You can't pass it off as medical advice because you aren't able to prove you're a doctor, I suppose that's where the rule really applies. You're offering your own opinion about your experience, so it's different to the point of being ok imo.
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

I had a bit in my elbow when playing a long time, went away after 6 months or so, my elbow was too bent when sitting
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
pick6

My left hand is kinda screwed up, I know I play too hard and press much harder than necessary. I'd been trying these stretched out chords on a classical and it started. I've been working on a lighter touch, and keeping my thumb in position better. It comes and goes though. I don't have anything like what you are describing, but I laid off the nylon string and stick to the electric, narrow neck.

Good luck with it.
pick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me

Using ice too much, especially in the extreme you are doing, can actually worsen the symptoms. Use cold initially with 20 min on each hour. After that heat is the way to go but neither should be used so much that any pain or numbness happens. Just saying, you are playing with your body's inflammation process and you can make it worse very easily. This is coming from a guitar player who has been dealing with it for 5 years now and I'm going through med school. This was the advice my instructors gave. Hope it helps because for the first time in 5 years I can play longer than twenty min without my hands going numb and can actually play through a 3 hour practice now with no pain or numbness.
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, and deeelay
Vox Time Machine
Crybaby 535Q

Cmatmods.com
bluestratplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me

Quote:

Doing that counteracts doing either one. Heat increases the inflammation and healing response by increasing blood flow to the area. Cold does the opposite so the body doesn't overdo it which can cause swelling and pressure on nerves which can cause pain. You do cold initially to decrease the response and swelling, then after a couple days do heat.

Either way, glad to see you're doing better as I am very aware of the pain in the ass carpal tunnel and tendonitis can be. I finish med school in four months and have to wait to get a job until after I have surgury on my left wrist and heal. But you can make it more managable.

Also if you have a regular doctor that you go to regularly, ask him to give a steroid injection. Not to expensive and helps ALOT with tendonitis. Unfortunatly for me, it didn't help my carpal tunnel but it got rid of the tendonitis in my right wrist in a few days after one injection.
Vox Time Machine
Crybaby 535Q

Cmatmods.com
Old 05-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #10
owen556

Quote:

I'll definetly try that and hopefully it works. I also have been playing trumpet for 8 years and it hurts a lot more when I play that then when I play guitar. Hopefully this works on top of the ice dipping method. I used to go to physical therapy for it but the woman I was seeing left so I haven't gone in 3 weeks.

I've also been taking gluscosamine and reading up on different supplements like magnesium because apparently tendonitis can be correlated with magnesium deficiency. Or people just want to sell me pills as placebo.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #11
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me

If you are going to take anything, take an NSAID like ibuprofen regularly. Just take it with some food and take it regularly for two weeks. Taking with food helps prevent GI problems. Those may take four to five days before a therapeutic effect is noticed. But if you aren't resting then you aren't allowing it to heal.
Vox Time Machine
Crybaby 535Q

Cmatmods.com
Old 05-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #12
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

I've had a few minor issues but always been able to deal with them. Have you seen a doctor and/or physio about your problems?

The main thing with avoiding injury is good posture, see here -

And I visited a physio recently who told me guitar players should do these stretches. Bear in mind I don't know if you should do them while injured, but if you're ok these might be good.

Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #13
owen556

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
I've had a few minor issues but always been able to deal with them. Have you seen a doctor and/or physio about your problems?

The main thing with avoiding injury is good posture, see here -

And I visited a physio recently who told me guitar players should do these stretches. Bear in mind I don't know if you should do them while injured, but if you're ok these might be good.

Thanks you so much for these! the first two felt really good and the third was great. My flexibility for the second one was pretty terriblebut i could feel it throughout my forearms.

Yes I've been to a doctorsoffice a few times and they hardly look at it they just said its tendonitis and that I should take ibuprobfen and RICE and such. Ill add those stretches to my list of stretches and start taking advil much more often.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #14
wiggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestratplayer
Doing that counteracts doing either one

Maybe, seems to work though. The way I understood (imagined) it to work is, hot and cold get's the blood flowing. One thing I did notice initially was the tempory relief right after doing it.

I almost rested, but I did refrain from bending notes and trying to play live SRV. I done a month of slow mo practice (Jaimie Andreas), which improved my technique a lot.

Last edited by wiggedy : 05-07-2013 at 10:13 PM.
wiggedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #15
owen556

I tried the combo of heat and ice and the relief was nice, only I had jazz band that night and ended up playing trumpet for two hours and the pain was so bad i took a codeine. The pain has also been worse as of recently because I've been trying to work out a little in bit with LOW WEIGHTS and LOW REPS like the physical therapists have been saying and it destroyed my wrists/thumbs.

Rate This Thread: