Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Classic Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
Cloud9TN

Any keys players?

Just wanted to let any keyboardists know I've created a group at:
groups.ultimate-guitar.com/keys
Cloud9TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
travislausch
UG's Haibane Renmei fan.

I dabble in it. Especially vintage synths. I'm more of a Geddy Lee than a Rick Wakeman, though. But my holy trifecta of keyboards would be the MiniMoog, the Mellotron, and the Hammond B3, with the Fender Rhodes butting in as the fourth wheel.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #3
ChucklesMginty
\_(ツ)_/

I'm getting started with it, I'm getting good at piano but there is not a whole lot of info online in regards to rock/metal keyboard playing.

Hoping to get a Korg workstation soon and just practise my ass off and figure out songs by ear. Not to mention learning how to program synths.

If you have any insight to share in how you got started I'd love to know!

Last edited by ChucklesMginty : 02-05-2014 at 05:14 PM.
ChucklesMginty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:35 PM   #4
travislausch
UG's Haibane Renmei fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucklesMginty
there is not a whole lot of info online in regards to rock/metal keyboard playing.

A lot of the "normal" techniques can be applied in rock and metal though. Especially parallel fingering, where you perform runs and match the fingerings on both hands left to right. But otherwise, I agree. There really isn't much for rock or prog synth playing out there to learn from. And the synthesizer books I've seen often have more to do with the technical aspects like oscillators and modulators rather than playing.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:27 AM   #5
Cloud9TN

Exactly guys! This is what I am talking about. Wouldn't it be great if we could ask those burning questions and have someone who knew the answers!

Chuckles what kind of Korg are you getting? I've played on a Korg Karma for what seems like ages, I just recently went with a Yamaha MOXF.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:47 AM   #6
op4blushift

I dunno if this is the right place for this thread, but I have a Korg X50 that I've basically neglected since I bought it last year. I've been playing it of course, but I really want to learn how to actually to do some more technical stuff (making my own combinations, saving presets and what not) but I keep putting it off. That and I just want to get better at playing it since I'm a pretty terrible piano/keyboard player in general (I took lessons for about 4 years when I was a lot younger but I've forgotten most of it )
op4blushift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:17 PM   #7
Cloud9TN

op4, no worries man, if you'd like to maybe learn some stuff feel free to join our group. Post some questions and maybe we can get you some answers. Specifically, I may be able to help you alittle with your Korg, I played a Korg Karma for a long time so I know the terminology and layout they use frequently.

I had maybe about 8 lessons (via Skype) and I feel like I was alittle beyond what he wanted to teach me. Although I must say the exercises he wanted me to do was helpful overall.

To me the 2 biggest things that help me with the keys is knowing my chords and knowing the inversions.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:37 AM   #8
travislausch
UG's Haibane Renmei fan.

I'd really like to upgrade to a better workstation soon. I lost my last decent keyboard in a break-in, and have since relegated to a cheap Casio I bought at a Black Friday sale for $75. I also own and play a ton of touchscreen synthesizers on my Galaxy Note 2. I have a crazy good Prophet-5 emulator, a vocoder through the app Caustic, Jordan Rudess' MorphWiz (I also have Bebot Robot Synth on my iPod Touch, as well as a Hammond B3 emulation and a Mellotron emulation).

However, I do have a KORG nanoKEY USB MIDI controller which I use with Reaper and GarageBand, and Reaper has my largest VST instrument collection, which includes a MiniMoog clone, a Fender Rhodes clone, two grand pianos, Drumkit From Hell, an Oberheim OB-X, another Hammond and Mellotron... and more.

Rate This Thread: