Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-29-2013, 12:51 AM   #1
nathan:-)
Rockin' it out

Old Japanese Guitar Restoration

Hey everyone, just thought I'd share with you a restoration I did on an old guitar I literally picked up off the side of the road! Apparently it was some kind of Tiesco.
I made this thread regarding identification and it's features if you'd like a bit of a 'back story'. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1602243

I was uploading pics to Facebook as I went along, which you can view on Photobucket here:
And if you're interested, here's a description I was updating as I went along, enjoy!

Quote:
"For anyone who's interested, I'm going to try and restore this old guitar I found. The first pictures were uploaded for forum users online to hopefully identify the brand and hopefully model of the guitar, but I thought I'd upload them for you guys to see the progress (hopefully!).

Update: Progress! As you can see the body was re-sprayed by Cody's Street Art Designs! It now looks better than ever.
I have purchased all the parts required to re-build it. All for a grand total price of $68.75, thanks to eBay.
I'm completely re-doing all the electronics. The single coils were removed and replaced with mini-humbuckers. The single coils were encased in these chrome-looking covers which were very corroded. As the holes were too big for regular humbuckers and too small for regular single coils I went with mini humbuckers. These fit great after a bit of filing.
The two sliding pickup selectors are out and will be replaced by a 3-way Les Paul/SG style switch. It was too expensive to buy sliding selector switches online, and I have no idea if they would fit or work correctly.
Another thing that is very interesting about this guitar is that the body is almost the same as a Stratocaster, only the wrong way around! It's like they got a Strat body, flipped it over, and routed all the holes in!

Update: All done! I'm very happy with how everything turned out. No major issues, although a better quality killswitch from JayCar will definitely be needed.
Although somewhat crude, raising the bridge with 7 washers for each screw turned out alright, and was a quick and easy solution. Overall it's an awesome and unique guitar and for the price it is absolutely excellent.
nathan:-) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:02 AM   #2
timbit2006
UG Monkey

Looks cool. I like the planets.
One question though: Why didn't you fill the holes below the bridge?
Old 10-03-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
DavesGuitars

That's cool! Is the scale right with the bridge there?
DavesGuitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #4
Darrell_Licht

I like the style dude
Darrell_Licht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:56 PM   #5
Rockin' it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit2006
Looks cool. I like the planets.
One question though: Why didn't you fill the holes below the bridge?

Didn't think of that, should have filled them in before getting it sprayed!
Old 10-03-2013, 11:57 PM   #6
Rockin' it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesGuitars
That's cool! Is the scale right with the bridge there?

I'm not sure to be honest. I wasn't all too worried about the technical side of things. However I tried to put it as close as I could to where the bridge was originally.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
J_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan:-)
I'm not sure to be honest. I wasn't all too worried about the technical side of things. However I tried to put it as close as I could to where the bridge was originally.

If you moved the bridge, it's never going to play right. It needs to be EXACTLY where it originally was or the scale will be off and it will not intonate correctly.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: