Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-12-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
jc.90

Making the 'in your head' voice more closely match your IRL voice

This might be a dumb thread and I apologize if it is /:

Okay, so, I KNOW your voice sounds different to other people than it sounds in your head. Like a lot of people, I'm usually pretty satisfied with the way my voice sounds in my head. Obviously, though, when I record it, it's a different ball game. A lot of times it sounds shaky. Sometimes I'll go into an area with good acoustics like the bathroom and plug my ears and then I'll record. I get a better sound when playing it back that way, sounds clear, not shaky at all. Still not what it sounds like in my head, but it's all right. But still, it's really disheartening. My question is, is there anyway you can make what your voice sounds like in your head translate IRL or will it always just sound that great only in your head? Is there a way for me to be more aware of what voice actually sounds like without my ears being plugged? Any suggested exercises to strengthen your voice, get a clearer and less shaky sound, etc?

I'm just really annoyed right now because I feel like I could be a pretty good singer if I knew the right exercises. I used to take lessons, the first song we did was "You & I" by Lady Gaga and that song is just my perfect vocal range, the whole thing is very easy for me. She was incredibly happy with the way I performed that song. But I just honestly didn't like the way my instructor taught, she'd spend forever talking about unrelated topics, etc. I continued with lessons for months but I just didn't feel like they were benefitting me. Again, maybe the way she taught she didn't mesh with me but I'm too broke to keep going to anymore lessons. Any advice would be appreciated, guys. (:
jc.90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:23 PM   #2
GoldenGuitar

You can do the opposite for now, and then as you get better your recorded voice will begin to meet your expectations for how you want it to sound.
GoldenGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:58 PM   #3
jc.90

Wow, that's a great video right there. I'll definitely be enlisting that little technique in my journey to get somewhere close to the same sound in real life. I'll be checking out that guys other videos, thank you for that link.
jc.90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:54 AM   #4
KrisHQ

When you get better at singing and start singing more on pitch, you will also gradually start to like/accept your own voice.
I remember when I started singing that I HATED my own voice, but it was really nothing more than an excuse for having bad pitch and technique. Several years later I've become much better in technique, articulation and pitch and I've started to accept this is the way I sound, and sometimes I even like my own voice.
Also, the more you record the more you grow accustomed to your own voice, and gradually "the voice you hear in your head" and your recorded voice with blend together.
As for exercises, there are basic routines you can do like singing along to a piano. Either holding notes for an extended time, sing up/down major/minor scales and more advanced would be trying to sing harmonies.
But it has to be fun, another good way to practice is simply to record a lot of songs. Just remember to very carefully listen to the original melody-line and make sure you're singing it correctly. Just record as many takes as you need, it's not about the final product, it's about practicing.

Last edited by KrisHQ : 02-13-2014 at 06:57 AM.
KrisHQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:52 PM   #5
Mud Martian
Slow Shredder

After months and months and potentially years of focused vocal training you'll know your voice well enough that there won't be much of a difference between what others hear, what you hear on a recording, or what you hear internally. Focus on technique and building vocal strength. You'll eventually learn to like your voice.
Mud Martian is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: