Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
gucio93
>_>

Marshall JCM2000 Reverb Tank

Hey guys, hope someone can help me out with this. I'm looking to sell my Marshall JCM 2000 but the reverb doesn't work on it. Before I put it up on the market I figured I might as well fix it as I read that reverb tanks don't cost too much to replace. I looked at the model of Reverb Tank in my head and it is an Accutronics 4EB3C1D. However, when I went online a lot of people were saying that the standard Reverb Tank used in JCM 2000s was the 4BB3C1D. To be honest I don't know the difference at all and was wondering if I could replace it with the 4BB since I ca't find a replacement 4EB anywhere. Also, are there any other reverb tank models I could buy to replace the one in my Marshall or do I have to stick with the Accutronics? I just don't want to buy anything and find out it won't work in my head for whatever reason.

Thanks in advance guys!
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
gucio93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gucio93
Hey guys, hope someone can help me out with this. I'm looking to sell my Marshall JCM 2000 but the reverb doesn't work on it. Before I put it up on the market I figured I might as well fix it as I read that reverb tanks don't cost too much to replace. I looked at the model of Reverb Tank in my head and it is an Accutronics 4EB3C1D. However, when I went online a lot of people were saying that the standard Reverb Tank used in JCM 2000s was the 4BB3C1D. To be honest I don't know the difference at all and was wondering if I could replace it with the 4BB since I ca't find a replacement 4EB anywhere. Also, are there any other reverb tank models I could buy to replace the one in my Marshall or do I have to stick with the Accutronics? I just don't want to buy anything and find out it won't work in my head for whatever reason.

Thanks in advance guys!

i would troubleshoot the reverb tank first. plenty of time you can take apart the reverb tank and fix it (usually the springs fall off). also check the lines going to the reverb tank (sometimes they are disconnected or are connected wrong). and also check the send receive tubes (if it has any).

they reverb tank might also have it's model number on there while your messing with it.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
gucio93
>_>

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
i would troubleshoot the reverb tank first. plenty of time you can take apart the reverb tank and fix it (usually the springs fall off). also check the lines going to the reverb tank (sometimes they are disconnected or are connected wrong). and also check the send receive tubes (if it has any).

they reverb tank might also have it's model number on there while your messing with it.

I've already found the model number on the tank, but it doesn't seem to be the one that comes stock on JCM 2000s. I'll try taking it apart first before I look into ordering a new one though. thanks!
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
Raijouta
Actually called Dylan

I'd say it's more likely the amp's reverb recovery circuit, rather than the tank itself, that may be busted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Raijouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:13 PM   #5
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Any reverb tank with a 150 ohm input impedance will work fine.

Usually when a reverb tank breaks it's painfully obvious when you look inside it. The usual way they break is where the spring attaches near the transducer. If there is a spring in there unattached it's dead, Jim.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:47 PM   #6
LaidBack
Call me Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Any reverb tank with a 150 ohm input impedance will work fine.

Usually when a reverb tank breaks it's painfully obvious when you look inside it. The usual way they break is where the spring attaches near the transducer. If there is a spring in there unattached it's dead, Jim.

Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
LaidBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #7
gucio93
>_>

So I took out the reverb tank and everything seems to be fine with it. Everything is soldered correctly and none of the springs have fallen off or anything of the sort. Does that mean it has to do with something within the amp? If so could that be a relatively simple fix, or could I possibly screw a lot up if i try doing it myself?
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Old 11-22-2012, 12:54 AM   #8
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Do you have a multimeter? You should read almost a short circuit across both the input and the output plugs on the tank. Somewhere around the 100 ohm mark give or take.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: