Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
marcelaguiar

App that layers at least 4 tracks on iPhone

Jesus Christ. I wouldn't have thought I would be on such a huge quest for something that seems so simple. All I want to do, is use the built in mic from my phone to pick up the noise coming out of my amp, then record a couple things and put them together. I was originally just using the Voice Memos app to record a rhythm, then I would play the sound file and play a lead to it. Does an app this simple exist? Sorry if I sound mad =P
marcelaguiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
Sid McCall
(Actually, I'm Scott)

Garageband is $5. There's also an app called four track that I've heard of. I use Garageband and it's worth every penny.
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Sid McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
primusfan
Conspiracy Music Theorist

Old 01-31-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid McCall
Garageband is $5. There's also an app called four track that I've heard of. I use Garageband and it's worth every penny.

Garageband is garbage.

@TS:
Why are you recording anything guitar-related with an iPhone? I mean, I'd get it if you were recording like a short speech on an iPhone. But to get any decent recording of a guitar, you're gonna need to use something better than an iPhone.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
Sid McCall
(Actually, I'm Scott)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Garageband is garbage.

@TS:
Why are you recording anything guitar-related with an iPhone? I mean, I'd get it if you were recording like a short speech on an iPhone. But to get any decent recording of a guitar, you're gonna need to use something better than an iPhone.

On what basis is it garbage? I've used it to demo tracks while traveling or for the few weeks that my macbook crashed. It has enough features to create a quick multi-tracked mix with guitar amp sims. It's not supposed to be Logic in your pocket, it does everything it's designed to do. The keyboards and drums sound great as well, the app has inspired a ton of songs for me.

When you're done with a demo, you can plug it into your computer and export the garageband session. Then, assuming you're on a mac, you can open that session up, yank out all the stems, and continue looping/demoing/processing that audio in a full DAW like Logic or ProTools or whatever (I use Ableton Live).

To be fair: I'm using an Apogee Jam, Blue Snowflake, and headphones, so I'm not sure how well the built-in mic would work.

Last edited by Sid McCall : 01-31-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
schwinginbatman
Excuse me, good sir!

Quote:
On what basis is it garbage? I've used it to demo tracks while traveling or for the few weeks that my macbook crashed. It has enough features to create a quick multi-tracked mix with guitar amp sims. It's not supposed to be Logic in your pocket, it does everything it's designed to do. The keyboards and drums sound great as well, the app has inspired a ton of songs for me.

When you're done with a demo, you can plug it into your computer and export the garageband session. Then, assuming you're on a mac, you can open that session up, yank out all the stems, and continue looping/demoing/processing that audio in a full DAW like Logic or ProTools or whatever (I use Ableton Live).

To be fair: I'm using an Apogee Jam, Blue Snowflake, and headphones, so I'm not sure how well the built-in mic would work.

Yeah, for quick demos and recordings, GarageBand is simple and effective, but as a serious DAW it's ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashIsWin
It's like someone listening to some really old blues or whatever and going, "What a prick. Obviously you ****ing 'woke up this morning'. Twat."
schwinginbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
Sid McCall
(Actually, I'm Scott)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwinginbatman
Yeah, for quick demos and recordings, GarageBand is simple and effective, but as a serious DAW it's ass.

Well duh. Any DAW with exclusively touchscreen control will always be ass. But still, OP asked for something to layer 2 to 4 tracks of guitar, and for that (and quite a bit more) Garageband is worth $5.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #8
schwinginbatman
Excuse me, good sir!

Quote:
Well duh. Any DAW with exclusively touchscreen control will always be ass. But still, OP asked for something to layer 2 to 4 tracks of guitar, and for that (and quite a bit more) Garageband is worth $5.

I have the version that comes on the Mac laptops, and even without the touchscreen part it's ass. But it's good enough for $5 on a phone, in fact that a pretty sweet deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashIsWin
It's like someone listening to some really old blues or whatever and going, "What a prick. Obviously you ****ing 'woke up this morning'. Twat."
schwinginbatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: