Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 12-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #21
Volcz
The Vox Dude
 
Volcz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Marshall DSL401 or any other hot british amp.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.

Last edited by Volcz : 12-30-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Volcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #22
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man
 
ihartfood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Texas
the DSL401 is right up your alley man.
__________________
My Rig
Like Telecasters?
ihartfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #23
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
how loud can you play at home?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #24
target4998
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
as loud as i like mate
target4998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #25
Artemis Entreri
Panned
 
Artemis Entreri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
The dsl is such a... Not good amp though.
__________________
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Artemis Entreri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #26
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
ah ok sweet, tube it is then

can you stretch like 40? the traynor ycv50b is 440 on thomann and would be near enough perfect for what you want (without forking out tons more money, anyway). (budget for getting slightly rooked by your CC, though.)

an od wouldn't hurt, either, to use as a boost for the heavier stuff. the harley benton vintage od on thomann is nice, it's like 29 euro and is a rebranded joyo (which is a tubescreamer clone).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #27
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist
 
lucky1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
+1 for vox vt if you need a good bedroom amp, cheap. The preamp tube in it may be a gimmick but for an amp that costs less than $200 new, it has amazingly natural low to mid gain tone at apartment/bedroom friendly volume. And usable fx, and a headphone jack.
lucky1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:00 PM   #28
Volcz
The Vox Dude
 
Volcz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1978
+1 for vox vt if you need a good bedroom amp, cheap. The preamp tube in it may be a gimmick but for an amp that costs less than $200 new, it has amazingly natural low to mid gain tone at apartment/bedroom friendly volume. And usable fx, and a headphone jack.


But why bother with a hybrid when he can get a tube amp which will sound much better? He can play as loud as he wants.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Volcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:35 AM   #29
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
 
Blktiger0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Marrietta, Ohio, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis Entreri
The dsl is such a... Not good amp though.


Good contribution!

Now go away.

TS, The Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 is pretty much exactly what you're looking for. I'll second Dave's suggestion of the Traynor as well. I hear good things about them quite consistently. I also second his suggestion that you grab a cheap overdrive pedal for boosting purposes.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:47 AM   #30
Myshadow46_2
Join the pack.
 
Myshadow46_2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
If you can get to a music store you should try out a few amps. You'll know when you play "the one" I don't know what Stratford is like for music shops, but if you can get to Birmingham there are a few. I always find PMT (the shop, not menstruating) to be really helpful.
Myshadow46_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:49 PM   #31
Artemis Entreri
Panned
 
Artemis Entreri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
Good contribution!

Now go away.

TS, The Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 is pretty much exactly what you're looking for. I'll second Dave's suggestion of the Traynor as well. I hear good things about them quite consistently. I also second his suggestion that you grab a cheap overdrive pedal for boosting purposes.


Dude try the traynor before you consider the JCM. Two of my friends have one and I used to. It's the worst mid range amp I've ever played.
The gain is fizzy and harsh, the cleans are unusable. It's just not a good amp. And I love the 800s and 900s but Marshall changed the 2000.

One option, even though you CAN play as loud as you like, is to get something on the lower wattage end. I CAN play as loud as I want but my ears honestly get tired after a short period of time with my deluxe on 10. Marshall's class 5 is a little on the low gain side for you, but cranked with a boost would get you your more classic rock through higher gain examples. I love the class 5, especially with an external speaker. It's something you should ideally compare on your own though sound samples are okay too. I really, strongly advise against the DSL. I moved away from it, one of my friends never plays his and the other is trying to sell his.
__________________
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Artemis Entreri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #32
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
 
Blktiger0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Marrietta, Ohio, USA
^You like the JCM900's, but think that the DSL is too fizzy?





You can keep your Hybrid 900's and I'll stick with the DSLs

You say it was too fizzy. What tubes were in it? What speakers did you use it with? How loud did you crank it?

I mean, if it's good enough for Gary Moore, I would say any of us mere mortals should be just fine with it.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:01 PM   #33
Artemis Entreri
Panned
 
Artemis Entreri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
To be honest unless I was offered a JTM-45 I wouldn't trade my p2p deluxe for a Marshall. Never had anything bad to say about the 800s I've played or the 900 my old teacher used live. So maybe every DSL I've played is a lemon but I hate em.

Mine had JJs and Sovteks, both of which were eh. I used the original 2x12 that were in it whatever those were along with a mesa cab which I borrowed for a little. I usually used it with the master on 10 and got my gain from cranking the pre so anywhere between 5-9. I kept it for so long because it was alright flat out with my PRS, but pushing 110db is never enjoyable.

I was sad when he switched to the DSL. He sounds like himself obviously and I'm probably just biased but I like his tone on older recordings better. Could I tell it in a blind test? I'd give myself a 50/50 shot.

Honestly TS you have to go play for yourself. But I liked the DSL when I got it (duh) but I really grew to dislike it.
__________________
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Artemis Entreri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:34 PM   #34
Alphaform
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Wait.. So the guying saying NOT to get a DSL401 is the guy that say Marshalls Class 5 sound great?

Logic.
Alphaform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:44 PM   #35
Artemis Entreri
Panned
 
Artemis Entreri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
You ever played em both? I like the little class 5 with a big cab and a boost. You gonna tell me what I like and don't like? This is the point I've made in my last three posts. You gotta go play them. Every recommendation i got on UG when I was younger was something I ended up selling cause I didn't like it.
__________________
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Artemis Entreri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:11 PM   #36
Offworld92
One among the fence.
 
Offworld92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern California, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis Entreri
The gain is fizzy and harsh, the cleans are unusable. It's just not a good amp. And I love the ... 900s but Marshall changed the 2000.


What is this I don't even.

I'm sorry, but you're talking crap. Maybe the DSL you had was damaged in some way, but the stuff you describe is not indicative of DSLs at all. The DSL is essentially what the 2205/10 should have been. Great amps when dialed in right.
__________________
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:22 PM   #37
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis Entreri
To be honest unless I was offered a JTM-45 I wouldn't trade my p2p deluxe for a Marshall. Never had anything bad to say about the 800s I've played or the 900 my old teacher used live. So maybe every DSL I've played is a lemon but I hate em.

Mine had JJs and Sovteks, both of which were eh. I used the original 2x12 that were in it whatever those were along with a mesa cab which I borrowed for a little. I usually used it with the master on 10 and got my gain from cranking the pre so anywhere between 5-9. I kept it for so long because it was alright flat out with my PRS, but pushing 110db is never enjoyable.

I was sad when he switched to the DSL. He sounds like himself obviously and I'm probably just biased but I like his tone on older recordings better. Could I tell it in a blind test? I'd give myself a 50/50 shot.

Honestly TS you have to go play for yourself. But I liked the DSL when I got it (duh) but I really grew to dislike it.
He wasn't using the DSL in the studio, DSL's were his live amps. In the studio he mostly used a JTM45, especially on his later stuff.
There was nothing wrong with his live tone, nothing at all. A properly dialed in DSL with the right tubes and speakers is a fine amp - as long as you don't get one of the ones with the bad rectifier.

__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 12-31-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:38 AM   #38
Artemis Entreri
Panned
 
Artemis Entreri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
What is this I don't even.

I'm sorry, but you're talking crap. Maybe the DSL you had was damaged in some way, but the stuff you describe is not indicative of DSLs at all. The DSL is essentially what the 2205/10 should have been. Great amps when dialed in right.


I'm talking my personal experience with the amps. It's moderately possible I owned and both of my friends own duds but I couldn't stand one. Next time I'm forced into guitar center maybe I'll check one out again.
__________________
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Artemis Entreri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:44 AM   #39
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
He wasn't using the DSL in the studio, DSL's were his live amps. In the studio he mostly used a JTM45, especially on his later stuff.
There was nothing wrong with his live tone, nothing at all. A properly dialed in DSL with the right tubes and speakers is a fine amp - as long as you don't get one of the ones with the bad rectifier.



true, but isn't the 401 combo a bit different? it probably has a crappy speaker and a non-ply cabinet. the heads are a different story, but they're a lot more when you factor in a decent ply cab with decent speakers.

i still say the traynor is a good call.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:17 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.