Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
Lespauljames
UG Member

tone advise

hello guys, i have a question regarding, squire 70's jazz badd ( natural, maple neck, big black inlays) and ashdown evo 2 300 with 2x10 cab.
the bassist in our band has this rig. and cant seem to find the tone he is after.
i have spoken to him on the matter, and he would like a tone close to cliff burton on the MOP album.

is there nything that could help us to achieve this, or is it all in the eq?

best

James
Lespauljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

The thing he needs to remember is that while the tone (debatedly) worked for Metallica, would it work in your band? Any instrument tone may sound great solo, but it can suck hard in a band situation.

Deliriumbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
shmbluh12

Get a big muff and a cry baby wah.
shmbluh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
Ziphoblat
Hazardous

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmbluh12
Get a big muff and a cry baby wah.

Why? That would only help you get his distorted tone, which he didn't even use all that often (with some of the worst examples of his playing).

First thing I'd be doing is scrapping that Ashdown, good for nothing but sounding like mud being thrown on a wet field. Really isn't even close to being in the ballpark if that's the sound he wants.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:03 AM   #5
Sliide90027

Shot in the dark....(going by what is posted on the amp controls and Ziph's learned opinion)

Boost 220 3db
Use Bright, drop the Deep (getting past the 15" will be enough)
Shut off the subharmonic generator (getting past the 15" will be enough).

No compressor. Compression messes with technique and widens the Bass Response.
Use a little tube emulation to warm it up.

See if that gets things started
Sliide90027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:01 AM   #6
J3G2

^^^^ What Sliide said really. I'd also suggest using new strings (any brightish roundwounds will help IMO). Most tube/valve emulations will work well with new strings to get the tone you're looking for but all in all we're all limited by what we have available to us.

Hopefully you get the sound you want!
J3G2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
dmac1725

Thank you for the advice (I am the bassist in question) - if it helps, this is the tone I was specifically looking for ........

Used this track to jam to and just love the sound. I will try the aforementioned tips and let you know how I get on. I recently restrung the squier with rotosound swing bass 105's, so hopefully that will help too.
(no wah wah or fuzz.......i'm not quick enough to solo like Cliff) :-)
dmac1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
John Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac1725
Thank you for the advice (I am the bassist in question) - if it helps, this is the tone I was specifically looking for ........

Used this track to jam to and just love the sound. I will try the aforementioned tips and let you know how I get on. I recently restrung the squier with rotosound swing bass 105's, so hopefully that will help too.
(no wah wah or fuzz.......i'm not quick enough to solo like Cliff) :-)

When setting my tone I always try and have the type of music that I play playing at the same time.
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
John Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #9
Sliide90027

I was getting a similar tone to the first vid from an overdiven tube.

In particular, my first observation is that the highs are so suppressed in the clear sparkle range that it sounds like he was overdriving a tube preamp, and the saturation really make this appear to be the case.

The ultra lows and subharmonics were not there in my first listen, so it could be any number of fuzz pedals as well. First impression is a whole bunch of mids. I probably need to use the headphones on this tiny computer.

Lots of people love Cliff. I was doing things with a Boss HM-1 Heavy Metal Pedal in 1982, and backed off of that as it was not needed. That pedal provided some Bass that was lost when using a DS-1, something that it did not sound like was important on the first listen. Now I use absolutely outrageous stuff I hope to get out in the next 6 months.

So, just take your amp, turn the Input to 12 o'clock and the Output to 9 o'clock. Kill the Subharmonics. Set Bass at 3 oclock, Mids at 1 oclock, treble at 3 o'clock, flatten the EQ or give yourself some boost at the 180hz and the 1.3khz and see how close that gets you.

Want more Saturation, turn the Input up. Want more beyond that? Crank the Mids.

In 2005 I met a guy who dragged me to a Music Store because he said he played guitar and was one of Cliff's Pall Bearers, had grown up with him and had all sorts of garage recordings. I told him I played Bass He heard me in the store (as we left the said "Why didn't you tell me you could play bass, it sounded like your were playing Seinfeld interludes") and stayed on me to get me to buy an amp and play in public again. I overheard him call me the best bassist in NC. (well...wow)

Funny how a Drummer from my past said I sounded like Trujillo, but better.

and never listened to these guys.

Last edited by Sliide90027 : 01-03-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Sliide90027 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: