steve_muse
Never had this before

You, the Living's on film4 tonight and yo should watch it u british cunts

Pretty l8 tho
steve_muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM   #11422
andyscoot
UG Senior Member

Kicked off my build up to Halloween (really just an excuse to watch Horror movies that I haven't seen) with Videodrome. Damn son.
andyscoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM   #11423
GuitarGod_92
Trans Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzaw
There seems to be a problem with "horror" movies these days, and I feel it's atmosphere. They just don't have a horror atmosphere.
Those are basically what 90% of creepypastas are based on (and are so good at). For instance, you know the "Convicts can lick too" creepypasta, right? The whole "horror" factor of that is based on these facts. And it is a very good pasta too, perfectly showing this kind of stuff being used to creep the **** out of you.

If you're referring to the one where the girl thinks the dog licks her hand under the bed, I feel the need to point out that that isn't creepypasta, it's an actual urban legend/ghost story thing that has been around for forever.

And it's "humans can lick too"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Joel
But with jumpscares, it will always be a jumpscare.

where is that gif of the big vomiting all the little

i've said it in here before, jump scares are a technique that has great significance in horror, what you should be mad about is shitty directors trying to run their whole films on them
Quote:
Originally Posted by suckersdream
I'll suck your dick

GuitarGod_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM   #11424
seventh_angel
So-Called New-Age(d) Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_muse
A lot of it is just sort of 'this is 60s culture' and it's all quite misogynistic but it's aware of that and it's about his gaze after all. The ending, he watches the mimes fake play tennis and they ask him to fetch the ball, he drops his camera and picks it up, throws it back, and he starts to hear actual noise of the ball hitting off the bats so it's as if once he renounces the illusionary mechanical lens he begins to encounter reality.

Oh yeah, that's a great scene ! And yeah, the whole movie is just "This happens." ( change scene ) "This happens too." ( change scene ) "This happens as well. Damn, don't we live in an extravagant era ?". I hate those kinds of things. It's like those extremely violent movies that came out on the 70's because some people realized "Woah, we can shock people !" and so made movies based purely on shock factor ( like Straw Dogs and, especially, Deliverance ). I don't like those types of movies at all either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyscoot
Kicked off my build up to Halloween (really just an excuse to watch Horror movies that I haven't seen) with Videodrome. Damn son.

You had never watched it ? It's quite good. I've been planning to watch Dead Ringers again because I hardly remember it, but my idea is that I kinda didn't like it or dislike it. Naked Lunch is terrible though.

---

Just came back from La Chambre Bleue - The Blue Room. It's a cool little mystery that's easily watchable, but there's a huge chunk of the movie where I was like "why is this relevant?" and I still didn't get that part and it didn't make sense in my head. But, besides that, it's a cool movie.

Oh yeah, weird trivia: the movie was in 1.33 : 1. I found it quite interesting to have a movie from 2014 shot in that aspect ratio. Oh well, that was it
seventh_angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM   #11425
seventh_angel

Tomorrow Lisbon & Estoril Film Festival's program will be released. Main cinema event in Portugal, to which I attend several sessions each year. So stocked.

------------

Editing here because I don't want to make a triple post.

Just saw Inception for the... probably fifth time. It's so good. I understand that its downside is the overexposition. My main problem with it is not that it overexposes, but with the way it sometimes does it so in the most unsubtle ways.

It's still a pretty amazing movie, and probably the best Sci-Fi Action that comes to mind, which I now feel like making a top of some sort, because I'm bored.

- Inception
- District 9
- eXistenZ
- Forbidden Planet
- Children Of Men
- Starship Troopers
- Equilibrium
- Terminator 2
- Minority Report
- Paprika
- Total Recall

( I wouldn't consider Dark City "action", so it's out of there; V For Vendetta is out too because I don't think it's "Sci-Fi" )
Old Today, 02:11 PM   #11426
seventh_angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventh_angel
Tomorrow Lisbon & Estoril Film Festival's program will be released. Main cinema event in Portugal, to which I attend several sessions each year. So stocked.

Kind of a disappointing line-up. Only really interested in Deux Jours, One Nuit; that one I won't miss.

Then there's three movies that sound interesting that I had never heard of before this which are:

Bai ri yan huo - Black Coal, Thin Ice, which is a Chinese crime thriller, so why not;

Ja-yu-eui eon-deok - Hill Of Freedom, which sounds interesting from the synopsis in imdb, also it's only 66 mins long;

and P'tit Quinquin, which in a 200 mins mini-series that will be shown entirely in film form; feeling a The White Ribbon vibe with that one.

The catch is the price, which is more expensive than it used to be, with the sessions for Deux Jours, One Nuit and Black Coal, Thin Ice at 7, and the other two at 5, so I'm still not sure which ones I'll watch. Also, I have to add watching Interstellar, which gets here on the same week, but for that I'll pay between 3 and 4 as usual, so that's not a big issue.

One thing that saddened me was the inclusion of The Disappearance Of Eleanor Rigby, but only the (Them) version, which I'll pass because I want to watch the (Him) and (Her) versions. Also was expecting Birdman and Boyhood, but nope. Boyhood was supposed to get here on October 30th, but was dragged last week to November 27th; I thought it was because of the film festival, but apparently it was not. Birdman will only get here on January 15th. Both are sad sad news.

Oh well...

Rate This Thread: