Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
Steelywarlock

Edge zero II tremolo questions

I've looked at every thread on here to do with this bridge and I haven't yet found a detailed answer. If this is in the wrong area then I apologise.

According to ibanez, this bridge with the zps3 stop bar installed isn't considered to be a floating tremolo, then when you take it off it "becomes a normal floating trem". They also say that you could brake a string and the others will stay in tune, although I've been told that last statement is complete garbage.

Basically what I want to know is with this trem and the zps3 installed, could I detune without a medium-heavy adjustment of the bridge? I'm looking at getting a 7 string ibanez (rg827qmz) and I would want to change between standard and drop A etc. in college.

I've only had one experience with a floating trem and that was a licensed floyd on a cheap ltd. I read up on how to set them up and everything and I am competent with setting up other guitars but I couldn't keep it in tune or intonate it at all.
Steelywarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
solidrane
Wekk Blka

I'll start with this:

Every guitar on the planet will go slightly out of tune upon string breakage or detuning a string, not because of the bridge but the neck. You release abound 10-20 (Don't quote me on this) pounds of force on the neck when you take off a string letting the neck back bow a little (I hope you know what neck bow is)

Look, put your guitar flat on the ground then dive the trem to release the string tension, that's what I'm talking about (your neck bending)

So I'll answer your question:
I had a RG370DXZ. The zero point system (zps) is NOT like a true hardtail let it be a tune-o-matic or a strat hardtail. Put the zps system on, then try to use the trem... there will be the ever so slightest movement, the same movement when tuning - It's the parts of the trem + zps.

Garbage? no. Will it go out of tune? Yes (sorta)

Me tired, that may be a sloppily written answer but I hope you get something from it

Last edited by solidrane : 01-19-2013 at 03:54 PM.
solidrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
DarthV

Standard B to drop A on a 7? Should be able to do that quite easily, even without the ZPS installed. Probably need to adjust the other strings, but you shouldn't need to adjust the bridge.

Edit:

If you want to do larger changes, then you're going to have to adjust the bridge angle. The ZPS doesn't make it a hardtail.
Kemper KPA

Last edited by DarthV : 01-19-2013 at 04:54 PM.
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
Steelywarlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidrane
I'll start with this:

Every guitar on the planet will go slightly out of tune upon string breakage or detuning a string, not because of the bridge but the neck. You release abound 10-20 (Don't quote me on this) pounds of force on the neck when you take off a string letting the neck back bow a little (I hope you know what neck bow is)

Look, put your guitar flat on the ground then dive the trem to release the string tension, that's what I'm talking about (your neck bending)

So I'll answer your question:
I had a RG370DXZ. The zero point system (zps) is NOT like a true hardtail let it be a tune-o-matic or a strat hardtail. Put the zps system on, then try to use the trem... there will be the ever so slightest movement, the same movement when tuning - It's the parts of the trem + zps.

Garbage? no. Will it go out of tune? Yes (sorta)

Me tired, that may be a sloppily written answer but I hope you get something from it

What I mean is on a les Paul, if you snap the high E yes it may affect the neck but the other strings will still be in tune. On a floyd rose, if you broke the high E all the other strings would either go sharp of flat because the tension of all the strings keep it floating. I've been told by plenty of people that this is the same thing that happens to the edge zero ii.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
Steelywarlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthV
Standard B to drop A on a 7? Should be able to do that quite easily, even without the ZPS installed. Probably need to adjust the other strings, but you shouldn't need to adjust the bridge.

Edit:

If you want to do larger changes, then you're going to have to adjust the bridge angle. The ZPS doesn't make it a hardtail.

What I wanted to know about was the part about ibanez saying once you take off the zps3 it becomes a normal floating bridge, I couldn't tell whether they meant the zps3 was a sort of hardtail. My other option is to get a schecter and block off the floyd so that its hardtailed.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #6
DarthV

It's floating whether the zps is there or not, the zps just makes it more stiff. For the price of a new Premium, why not try to track down an older MiJ rg7621?
Kemper KPA
Old 01-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
Steelywarlock

At the moment I'm picking between a schecter hellraiser c-7, this rg827qmz and a couple of others. I like the idea of the zero ii and how easy it is to set up but I'm not sure about blocking it off, the schecter has an original floyd and I can just buy a tremol-no and hard tail it when I need to.

Thanks for the help anyway guys
Old 01-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
Steelywarlock

This is the exact article I was talking about just so everything is clear. " Installation of the Zero Point System in the Edge Zero II makes tuning easier and faster as well as providing stable tuning for long performances, all while maintaining smooth tremolo playing. Loss of tuning is kept to a minimum, even when a string breaks. For players that prefer a full floating system, simply remove the stop bar" the last statement suggests that it isn't a floating bridge while using the zps.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #9
DarthV

ZPS on my rg3570z is enabled and still pulls back. Just much more stiff than any of my other ibanez edge bridges. You could remove the ZPS and then just block the bridge like you would do on any floating floyd.
Kemper KPA
Old 01-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #10
Steelywarlock

Ill look into it a bit more and make a decision. Thanks for helping
Old 01-19-2013, 11:08 PM   #11
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidrane
I'll start with this:

I don't mean to be that guy, but the Evertune Bridge prevents that now >.> So not EVERY guitar on the planet....
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: