Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #1
Mishakuz
UG's Unsung Hero

Down-tuning acoustic guitar

Hello Everyone,

I have two acoustics guitars, and I would like to down-tune one of them to D standard. I tried it out, and it sounded fine and was more playable than in standard tuning. The intonation seemed to be fine as well.

My question is if I can keep the guitar tuned down all the time, or if it's better to tune back up to E standard while it's being stored?

Thanks in advance
- M

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez EW20ASE acoustic

Amp:
Peavey XXX EFX 40
Mishakuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
dannyalcatraz

Leave it be, it won't hurt it. My Ovation Elite has been in New Standard Tuning (CGDAEG) for more than a decade.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

like dannyalcatraz said. my husband keeps most of his guitars tuned to D all the time including his 1936 kalamazoo, 2 70's gibsons and his recording king, and they're all fine.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:17 AM   #4
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishakuz
My question is if I can keep the guitar tuned down all the time, or if it's better to tune back up to E standard while it's being stored?
There's no need. In fact, guitars aren't shipped at standard pitch, (E-E), but rather either a half or whole tone down. It is also suggested to tune down to D-D when storing a guitar for any length of time.

My 12 strings will send their whole lives in D standard.

Depending on the scale length of you guitar, and your particular touch, you may want to try going up to a one gauge thicker string set. (This only if the bottom end sounds "loose" or "flabby").
Captaincranky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
Bikewer

The bluegrass-country "jam" guys I play with occasionally have a lot of vintage instruments, and most of 'em tune down and then capo to standard pitch.
Takes a little strain off old wood....

It's annoying if they don't capo because then you have to do a lot of transposing in your head! Fortunately, most of these tunes are three-chord jobs.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: