Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
Anzio
Dawn of a Nightmare

Gutting a guitar - How?

Okay so i have this old mexi strat that i got from my brother in law and i enjoy it, but i find the sound wanting. So i wanted to replace all of the hardware so it can be a little beast like it should, but i dont really know what all im gonna need or what its going to cost. Can anybody give me some pointers?
Anzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
sstony

Look on-line for the parts you want to replace (pick-ups, tuners, volume ann tone pots ) whatever and youŽll find the price.
sstony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
stonyman65
Unregistered User

If you can do it yourself it's free. All you will need is a phillips head screwdriver and some wire cutters to snip the ground wire and output wire.

If you want to swap pickups/electronics, you'll need a 60w soldering iron and some rosin core electrical solder (the thin stuff).

New hardware will probably cost around $60 for a new bridge, $30 for a new sustain block (if you want one), about $70 for new (locking) tuners.

Pickups will cost around $60 each if you are going with something like Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan, Fender pickups tend to be a bit cheaper. For potentiometers and a switch and jack, that will be another $30 or so.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother much replacing the hardware besides maybe the tuners for locking ones and a brass sustain block. A pickup swap and electronic swap is where the money is. That's what'ts going to make the most difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
stonyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
Roc8995

Agreed. You've got a $250 guitar, and if you replaced everything on it with an upgraded version you'd hit 250 again in a hurry. Heck, you could easily do that just with pickups, electronics, and locking tuners. Considering you can get a used MIA strat for 5-600 if you're patient, I'd be very careful about how much you decide to sink into this guitar. Gutting it and starting over is not at all cost-effective. You'll either spend more than it's worth upgrading a guitar that didn't sound good in the first place (and no guarantee it will improve enough to make it worthwhile), or you'll have to cheap out and perhaps end up with an instrument no better than it was originally.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
Guitbuilder

What kind of amp are you using? Guitar upgrades don't amount to much if your amp sucks.
Guitbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: