Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Music Theory Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-03-2003, 05:39 PM   #1
mongbrain
RAPE ME!

Guitar Lessons???

I was wonderin wether there would be much point in having guitar lessons. A few of my friends play guitar and they have never had a single lesson, they just learnt from books. Because lessons are so expensive i've decided not to take them. wot do u guyz do?
Old 01-03-2003, 05:43 PM   #2
redwing_suck
Official UG "Do It" Ref

most people recommend them. ia m looking into them right now cause i am missing a lot of the fundamentals of playing, even though i know a bit more about theory than most people. i recommend them (i guess) if you want to become the best player you can be. teaching yourself causes you to get stuck in a rut, like i am in right now..... i dont know what to do next.

peace
Old 01-03-2003, 05:52 PM   #3
mongbrain
RAPE ME!

yea, but i got this book which teaches u absolutely everything u cud ever need 2 no about playin guitar, so im not sure whether i wud need a teacher
Old 01-03-2003, 06:14 PM   #4
frigginjerk
UG's Friggin' Jerk

i took lessons for a while, and they were really helpful. it's not like a structured course or anything though. i would just go in, and my teacher would say: "what do you wanna learn today?" and then we would go from there. so if I wanted to learn some theory, then he knew all about that, or if I was trying to master some part of a song, he could help me tab it out. so i would reccommend finding a teacher who will let you decide what to learn.
Old 01-03-2003, 06:19 PM   #5
frigginjerk
UG's Friggin' Jerk

Quote:
Originally posted by mongbrain
yea, but i got this book which teaches u absolutely everything u cud ever need 2 no about playin guitar, so im not sure whether i wud need a teacher

even tho the book might contain all the info you could ever need, you never know when you will read it wrong, or simply fail to see the complexities of an idea. a guitar teacher can physically show you how your book works.
Old 01-03-2003, 06:22 PM   #6
garett
UG Addict

This is becomming a question that should go in an FAQ.

Ok this is my personal opinion as a guitar teacher, student and someone who taught themselves for most of their guitar playing life.

"Guitar lessons" is somewhat of a misleading term. So is the term "guitar teacher". I prefer mentor or tutor. A teacher is only there to show you the doors to walk through and make sure that you're making the correct decisions and forming the correct habits.

You have to practice. You have to teach yourself. The teacher only shows you what to learn (if you don't know) and monitors your progress to make sure that you're progressing at a decent pace.

There is no way that a guitar teacher can literally transform you into a Vai or Satriani with 1/2 hour per week even if he/she had your entire life to do it in. You're the one who has to take the initiative. What you're paying for is for a 3rd party to critique you and give you suggestions for improvement, and to tell you what you should be learning if you don't know.

With that said, I've been playing for 8 years and in that time I've taken lessons for maybe a total of one year. I did pretty good teaching myself. However, I found that everytime I got into lessons my growth would excellerate at an enormous rate. Lessons help. A lot.

That is my un-biased opinion. However, I am a guitar teacher so take that into consideration while considering my advice.

Old 01-03-2003, 06:42 PM   #7
benjmc
Insignificant Writer

MMM>...this really should go in a FAQ....right well I believe that lessons point you in the right direction and then you walk/run that way...

so yea...basically anything i say will be the same as what Gar said...so listen to the man!

Leave well alone
Old 01-03-2003, 08:10 PM   #8
ninjaadam44

over the course of 2 years on my own, i made decent progress and could do minor impressive things (impressive to me, anyway). after 6 months of lessons, i'm guessing i got around... say 4 times better. in that time, i became a much more efficient and technical player (lol, sounds like i'm better than i am) and i now have a fairly strong foundation of theory.
taking dmal out of context... but i like the quote...
download my songs...
Old 01-03-2003, 09:48 PM   #9
nok
UG Newbie

Wink you shouldn't

i haven't took lessons too you know...you can really practise from yourself...provided you have the "materials"...u know what am in? get it? i've tried myself and here i am todey...at least i can say im improving for me...i guess...
Old 01-03-2003, 11:31 PM   #10
OwenOD69
Banned

I myself haven't had lessons, but at times that made things frustrating. Sometimes you'll hit road blocks where you don't wanna play another punk song, you think your own stuff sounds like crap and you think coz you don't take lessons there is no possible way you can play Metallica.

BUT....

If you wanna teach yourself I recommend mastering Blink 182 / Sum 41 stuff first, it's easy, and you'll get sick of punk music and want to learn something that sounds good and is more challenging. That's when you start listening to Metallica and Randy Rhodes era- Ozzy Osbourne.

When you play "Diary Of A Madman" for some-one and tell them you've never taken a lesson, they look at you like you're the re-incarnation of Hendrix. But you can only get away with that for so long, if you wanna start writing your own stuff like that you'll need a bit of help. What am I saying, if you wanna write anything remotely like a Randy Rhodes piece, you're gonna need a LOT of help.

I'm lucky enough to have a dad that has played classical music his whole life, and now that I know I've gotten as far as I'm gonna get with out a bit of guidance, I'm gonna dive into classical music.

Buying a scales book wouldn't hurt either.
Old 01-04-2003, 12:07 AM   #11
nok
UG Newbie

yeah! a lesson booK!

a lesson book is a good idea.i had one that can teach you almost all.but i guess a book would be complete with practise and watching...that too would not be a harm... i've watch clips of guitar players and it worked.then looking at a book plus that one can be a good routine...you can really do it if you really put yourself into it...
Old 01-04-2003, 12:20 AM   #12
ninjaadam44

quick question here: how do you know if it's teaching you "all" unless you already know what all is? i've seen books that claim they can teach you everything there is to know, only to find others that are far better. how do you know you have the real deal?

if you insist on going the book route, my TEACHER recommends the berklee series (3 books) for the theory part. it seems pretty solid.
download my songs...
Old 01-04-2003, 12:26 AM   #13
nok
UG Newbie

Well there you are! you know a good book. lucky for you.... but then as a guitar player, you will get there...know waht i mean? guitar styles and techniques will basically come to you...altough some books would not contain"ALL" then you're aware that "ALL" is not there,therefore you will be able to know what "ALL" is...right?
Old 01-04-2003, 01:01 AM   #14
ninjaadam44

you seem to be missing something; i know it's not all there because (aside from things like logic and a teacher) i've compared several (actually, a **** load) of books. i don't see how these things will just "come to me" though. will it be a sudden realization, or more of an 'in a vision' type thing? i understand that with practice you do progress, but i think that the importance of an actual, in the flesh, responsive teacher is too important to be solved for with books.

the best learning advice i've ever gotten was to make the most and use the hell out of every resource you can. a teacher is a very, very valuable resource.
download my songs...
Old 01-04-2003, 05:13 AM   #15
nok
UG Newbie

am not telling you not to go for one am just saying "if i were you" and man if youve done good bec of that good for you... im happy for you.ok? you can choose whatever you want...but ive learned that way...for me... iguess...

Old 01-04-2003, 08:13 AM   #16
Corrupted_Youth
Holier Than Thou

Well I've been playing guitar for about a year now, and I've been going to lessons for about 4 months. And I've got to say, they've really payed off. Everything I could do before, I do far better now. And things that were impossible to me before are actually in grasp. My skill has probably doubled in those 4 months.

I'd say that if you have the money, go for it. Try out a couple lessons, see if it's what it's cracked up to be. If you like it, then stick with it. If you don't like it, then just drop it.

One bonus that I've found, and I'm not sure if all teachers do this, is that my teacher will teach me any song I want and photo copy the tabs from the artist's song book. I've found that really useful.

Good luck, either way

Rate This Thread: