Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #1
kingy2176

On a plateau

Hi there I have been playing the guitar now for a better part of 20yrs picking it up playing watching others even the occasional jam session at my place with mates but here is the problem I have never been able to nail it or progress to a high quality level I suck at picking as I only use my thumb and index finger and seem no matter how much passion I have for this instrument I cant get off this plateau. I dont understand scales but can play by ear after a little bit of time, what is the answer to my problem as I really want to progress and get off this same old same old stuff any help would be cool.
kingy2176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Get a teacher. You'll progress so much faster. You need to understand chords, scales, theory, technique.

Obviously you've never bothered to actually understand the music you play. You want to improve so now you need to start analysing it technically so you can understand it and can apply it.

What scales do they use, what chord progressions, why do they work? Etc.

How do you learn all that? Get a teacher. It's the best way.

Otherwise go to www.justinguitar.com but that's a very distant second best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 12-19-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
socrfb

Sounds like you need theory. Justinguitar has some stuff on theory. You can also check musictheory.net or books like Music Theory for Guitarists by Tom Kolb. You can buy it online for less than $15.
socrfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
kingy2176

Thanks for the replies I watch Justin on youtube all the time but mainly skip all lessons and just learn the songs he plays as I can see where he is playing the chords and you guys are right I do need to learn more of the technical stuff but I just cant understand the meanings of scales, and chords I know where the chords are and a little bit of scales but it is more along the lines of watching someone then playing it rather than knowledge of how they got that scale etc but I will never stop playing hopefully I will start learning about what the hell Im playing cheers.
kingy2176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:10 AM   #5
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

So now skip the songs and watch all the lessons. Don't watch it on YouTube, watch it on the website and follow the curriculum he set. He's very good.

Or get a teacher. And use punctuation.

Scales allow you to solo, they allow you to understand music, intervals, how chords are built. You'll never be decent unless you put a little bit of time into learning it.

Just get a teacher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: