Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
yoman297
how quik do i get ban

Is this a good plan?

I'm attempting to form a band and I am recording a six song demo which I am going to send to friends to try to convince them to join. I have quite a few options so it may be an easy option.

I have two questions:

1 - Does this seem like a good plan?

2 - How should I approach friends?
and a bunch of other things
yoman297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
supersac

recoring demos is never a bad idea imo but i dont think id use them to convince people to join a band maybe so thye could hear what your music is like

if theyre friends"hey man wanna jam sometimes" seems to work well
or even"lets start a band!" has worked in the past

i feel like you shouldnt have to convince someone to be in a band

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
ccannon1
Band Geek

yeah, straight up just ask them to join your band. If they want to join you, they'll join you. The demos will be really useful once you get the band together though, just so they have a general idea of what sound you're going for and how the songs go.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
dankhus
Chief Procrastinator

The biggest issue I see with this is that you're basically trying to take other people on a joyride, except you're the one paying for it. If you're the one recording everything, maybe you should consider sending your demo to a label and think about other band members only for a live situation.

But I don't know, I like Reznor and Corgan's ways of handling things, doesn't always work though.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
D..W..

If they're friends, just ask them straight out. If they're strangers, show them the demos so they can see whether they like your style and want to jam.
D..W.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
yoman297
how quik do i get ban

After I talk to some friends could I send the demos to whoever is willing to join or would that give them the wrong idea?
and a bunch of other things
yoman297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Just try what it's like to play with your friends. You can just go and have a jam. If it feels it could work, start playing together. But if you see no potential in the band, maybe try another members.

I sometimes go and jam with my friends. And sometimes we decide to do a little band project. So just ask them if they want to jam with you.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #8
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Jamming is the answer.

If a band evolves from your jam sessions, then it's time to give them your demo's so they can learn the songs. It's probably worth pointing out that they're just demo's though, and that the other guys can provide creative input for their parts. Ok, so you don't have to let them completely re-write the whole song, but unless you give them a bit of freedom to express themselves you're going to make them feel like session musicians rather than a contributing band member.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #9
kilbie
Super Noob

Next time you see your friends you should tell them that you've been thinking of making a band and ask if they would like to join. I don't really see any need for sending them a demo. If they're unsure about whether or not to join your band for reasons such as they don't know how good you are or the genre they want to play, you should suggest to them that you have a jam. I would recommend that before you have a jam, decide on one or two cover songs that you all like so you will have something to play together at the jam. This is also a good way to see how well your friends play their instruments and how committed they are to being in your band (ie. did they practice the songs before the jam?). At the jam you can play your songs to show your friends how you would like the band to sound. Then if all goes well they will decide to join your band.
kilbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: