Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-07-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
mastermoo420

[Help] Guitar Style: Attack Mute

How do you do the attack mute technique? I found a site for it but it was kinda bad at explaining things for me, even with the videos. I wasn't sure of exactly what I was looking for...

This technique, my friend says, is essential to this one song I wanna play and adding something to my guitar arsenal would always be nice. :3

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Last edited by mastermoo420 : 08-08-2008 at 06:03 PM.
mastermoo420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:51 AM   #2
Zertuche
The American Werewolf

What is attack mute? It sounds cool
Old 08-07-2008, 11:21 AM   #3
Snap017
UGs...Snap?

I honestly have no idea what Attack Muting is.

But it sounds quite metal, and I request that you tell us what it is when you find out. What's the song you're trying to learn?

Snap017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
mastermoo420

Haha nice replies... In fact, the song I'm trying to learn is not rock at all. Here's a youtube link to Kotaro Oshio playing it live:

Also, I'm asking for help from the UG community :P I guessed that with all these guitarists, there should at least be one who should know it. Although a search on the main site showed no results...
Old 08-07-2008, 07:20 PM   #5
DaddyTwoFoot
Barned

I think it's a bullshit term that someone made up. So far in this video, the only thing I can think of that would fit that bill is muting the strings with your right hand. If your friend says it's essential, they must know what it is. Ask them.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
DaddyTwoFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:23 PM   #6
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Most of that song contains absolutely no non-standard technique, about the most unusual thing in there is the tapped harmonics that he does sometimes; the rest of it is more down to interesting use of pretty standard techniques like strumming, dead notes and natural harmonics.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:43 PM   #7
mastermoo420

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTwoFoot
I think it's a bullshit term that someone made up.

http://cache.qihoo.com/wenda.php?do...&kw=attack+mute

Long link is long.

And interesting use of strumming is right. To get the sound I want (but is nowhere near as flowing as Kotaro's), I need to just do constant downstrokes, which are obviously wasted movements. I have no idea how he does it and a Guitar Pro tab definitely can not show that.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:33 PM   #8
DaddyTwoFoot
Barned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermoo420
http://cache.qihoo.com/wenda.php?do...&kw=attack+mute

Long link is long.

And interesting use of strumming is right. To get the sound I want (but is nowhere near as flowing as Kotaro's), I need to just do constant downstrokes, which are obviously wasted movements. I have no idea how he does it and a Guitar Pro tab definitely can not show that.

After going through Google, that's the only site I found that uses that term in context. Thus, a bullshit term that someone made up. There's no non-standard technique. Just watch and learn.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
DaddyTwoFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:30 AM   #9
mastermoo420

Ugh, w/e. :P I'll just do the song in my style regardless of the existance of the attack mute or not.

EDIT: In the video link I posted, at 0:16, is the "verse" of the song, I would say. If you call that an "interesting strumming" then that would probably be the attack mute from what the other link (that tries to explain attack mute but is really hard to follow for me >_>) says it is. He always manages to pull out the melody and make it emphasized which is probably due to the technique (whether it's bs or not)

Last edited by mastermoo420 : 08-08-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:58 AM   #10
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Ugh, w/e. :P I'll just do the song in my style regardless of the existance of the attack mute or not.

EDIT: In the video link I posted, at 0:16, is the "verse" of the song, I would say. If you call that an "interesting strumming" then that would probably be the attack mute from what the other link (that tries to explain attack mute but is really hard to follow for me >_>) says it is. He always manages to pull out the melody and make it emphasized which is probably due to the technique (whether it's bs or not)

There really is nothing special about that technique; he's just playing reasonably well with his fingers.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #11
Axe Murderer

Monty Montgomery
Acoustic??? Little Wing

Sounds like Guthrie on one of his electric Shures!
Axe Murderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:33 PM   #12
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe Murderer
Monty Montgomery
Acoustic??? Little Wing

Sounds like Guthrie on one of his electric Shures!

Yeah he's good but OMG...long much? Seriously, I could have done with about 6-7 minutes less of that.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:39 PM   #13
mastermoo420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
There really is nothing special about that technique; he's just playing reasonably well with his fingers.

He's doing finger picking and, you know the other site that teaches it? He's doing the thing where you use your middle and ring finger's nails and hitting the strings. All the while his thumb and forefinger are picking the melody somehow. You can see it easily and it's seen in his other songs, too. If there's nothing special about the technique, please help me learn it.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:45 PM   #14
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
He's doing finger picking and, you know the other site that teaches it? He's doing the thing where you use your middle and ring finger's nails and hitting the strings. All the while his thumb and forefinger are picking the melody somehow. You can see it easily and it's seen in his other songs, too. If there's nothing special about the technique, please help me learn it.

It's not a whole separate technique though; it's more of a style of playing than a technique.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:03 PM   #15
mastermoo420

Hmmm. I guess you're right. Either way, I wanna learn how to learn this style. >_> No doubt, like any style, there should be basics and the rest is to make it your own. And those basics are what I need. >_>
Old 02-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #16
yaanlee

Lol I'm surprised that no one here knows what attack mute is.. I thought it was a pretty well-known technique but I guess not.
As far as I know, it is not a bullshit term; it's either unique to Kotaro Oshio or used only among a few fingerstyle guitarists. Some people nicknamed it "Kotassive," a combination of "Kotaro" and "percussive"
So, what's attack mute? Basically, it is to strum AND mute your strings at the same time. Eehh.. this technique is hard to describe, but.. uh ok i'll divide this reply into two parts: 1. percussive and 2. strumming
1. Percussive: (i'm just going to explain it whether you know it or not) let's say you see x's on your tab. That means to MUTE the strings by hitting them with your right hand, making that "chuck" sound. Try that on your guitar. Pluck 3rd and 4th string with your index and middle finger; hit it with your index and middle finger to mute, but do it strongly so the strings will make percussive sound.
2. Strumming: Yeah I don't think I need to explain this, right? Lol
Point of using percussive skill on guitar is to create drum-like sound. Like, that percussive I explained in #1 sounds like a pedal hi-hat. Downside is that, however, you have to mute your sound. Well, sometimes you want to keep your melody going and while you still have that drum-like sound. So what do you use? Attack mute!

I'm sorry, my introduction was too long. I thought knowing the concept of attack mute was important to understanding the actual technique.. Anyway, how do you make hi-hat sound and play notes at the same time? I'll explain it right now.
First of all, your right hand. Open it wide. Then, fold in your middle&fourth fingers so they will touch ur palm. Like that rock sign or whatever. ALWAYS keep that shape. It's like the basic of attack mute.
Each finger has a role: Thumb- playing bass (usually 6th string)
index- playing melody line (usually 1st-3rd strings)
middle&fourth- playing mute (x's on your tab)
pinky- hitting the body to generate bass drum sound
Here is the hardest part: when you are downstrumming, first make a fist. A really loose fist. Then, as you downstrum, throw open your index finger (make sure your index finger is straight by the time your done downsturmming!). As you do that, hit 1st-3rd strings with your folded-in middle&fourth fingers. Try to hit them with your nails so you won't get cuts all over your fingers. As soon as you hit with your "muting fingers," hit the body with your pinky. As you upstrum, just simply play the bass with your thumb and use your index finger to play the melody line.
I'm sorry, but this technique is just too hard to describe in words... so anyway, when you use this technique repeatedly (which is likely because normally attack mute is used as a substitute for normal strumming), your right hand will look as if you're throwing away your index finger everytime you downstrum, and all your fingers will come back to that loose fist as you upstrum.
Here a few tips.
1. Use your wrist. Keep it loose so you can snap it as if you're playing basketball. t helps a lot.
2. Make sure to stretch out your index finger and pinky all the way; if you don't do this one thing properly, the technique doesn't really work out that well.
3. Don't hit the strings with your muting fingers (middle&fourth) at a right angle. You must hit them at a certain angle so that your fingers will somewhat slide over the strings, but still striking the strings to make hi-hat sound. (Finding this angle is the most tricky part of all)

It takes a lot of practice and it hurts at first.. Fyi tt took me 2 weeks to master. When you get it, you will start to here subtle but obvious hi-hat/bass drum like sound whenever you're downstrumming. Well, good luck.

p.s. if you learned how to do it already during past 2 years, you know what, just fml I just wasted my 10 minutes hahahaha
yaanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:35 AM   #17
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

Cool story bro. Now GTFO. Nobody really cares. If we would have, we would have kept this thread alive. Instead, it's over 4 years old! Let dead threads rest in peace.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: