Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
SomeBlueKind
Banned

Pull offs and muting the next higher string

I've been playing for a while, but when playing pull offs, ive noticed that quite often the neighboring next highest string to the string on which I am pulling off, often rings out. It is particularly noticeable when I pull off without using my strumming hand to mute the neighboring string (obviously). Though I've been playing for a while, this has been a real nuisance for me. However, I recently, by accident, figured out that if I overtly pull off on the string with the intention of carrying my finger so it contacts the next highest string, I can make sure it is muted.
I've watched quite a few video lessons on pull offs, but they don't really go into how you make the other strings stay muted. For this one song I want to play, it has a whole bar basically where there is 32nd note hammer ons and pulloffs consecutively on the D string. This is beyond my ability to play even the 32nd notes with its tempo, much less keeping the G string muted all the while. Even the technique I discovered and mentioned earlier is out of the question at this tempo. My question is: Are there any methods for pulloffs and muting the higher neighboring string that I may have overlooked/missed/forgot/been too much of a novice to produce that could help when having to produce quick pulloffs and hammer ons like in the song I'm trying to play? Does everyone else just flick the string they want to pull off with enough force to make it ring out well, without making contact with the next higher string at all, thus keeping it muted? What am I missing here?
Thanks
SomeBlueKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
SomeBlueKind
Banned

P.S.
I forgot to mention that the pulloff is to an open D string. Otherwise I wouldn't have a problem muting as I would just let my index finger lazily make contact with the higher string.
Thanks
Old 12-12-2012, 11:23 PM   #3
Bad Kharmel

just roll your ring finger back against the G-string while you play the riff, you just have to learn to mute the stings you don't want to sound with your left hand
Bad Kharmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:53 AM   #4
SomeBlueKind
Banned

Thanks for the attempt Bad Kharmel, but that video didn't teach me anything I didn't already know, as evidenced by my second post. It also had nothing to do with pull offs, and a proper technique for executing them with speed and, more importantly, clean with open strings. Guess it's back to another several years of trial and error (mostly error).
Old 12-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #5
Bad Kharmel

Just rest your ring finger on the g string immediately after you pull-off, not unlike a classical rest stroke, but with your left hand, or just make sure you only pick the string you want to sound
Bad Kharmel is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: