Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Classic Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-03-2014, 09:19 AM   #12641
eGraham
Logjammin'

I agree. It's hard for me to honestly pick favorites when it comes to Floyd, but I think I can say that Division Bell is one of their better albums to me.

The music is just superior. Lyrically may not be as strong as The Wall or WYWH for example, but the music is top notch.

October 23, 2014
eGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:50 AM   #12642
dansatadmad

egraham- I have a definite favourite floyd album, in fact its my favourite album ever. Animals!!! I reckon i play this album at least 2 times a week and still not gotten bored by it.
The floyd are the only band that i can say that i love nearly all their albums with the exception of AHM. Yet AHM is often a persons fave floyd album. I guess this just shows the brilliance of the floyd. They seem to have an album for every mindset.

My second fave would rotate between Dsotm and the liveside of ummagumma.

Wywh,the wall ,the division bell,meddle and More(yes i love More)would vie for third.

Obscured and pipers whilst are still excellent dont scream at me to be played,
whilst the final cut does get played heaps by me i find it hard to play it when others are home as it is too much of an individualist album.

Last edited by dansatadmad : 06-04-2014 at 06:11 AM.
dansatadmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:58 PM   #12643
romencer17
UG God

i really really can't get into Division Bell, it's just too safe and boring. it's not offensive like AMLOR but just kinda puts me to sleep. Sounds like Floyd without any ambitious drive. i liked it as a kid but it lost its appeal over time.

but like it is said above^ that's just floyd for ya, everyone has their preferences. My favorites are Dark Side and Piper, both being some of my favorite albums ever.

Sumdeus
romencer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #12644
eGraham
Logjammin'

Animals is another one high on my list.

I have some favorite songs from Momentary Lapse, but the album on the whole is not too high for me. That said, I really like Learning to Fly, One Slip, and Yet Another Movie.

I can agree that TDB isn't as "aggressive." It's definitely a Gilmour album, and he's historically just not been as in-your-face as Waters, musically.

October 23, 2014
Old 06-17-2014, 06:31 AM   #12645
dansatadmad

Learning to fly is a good song. I dont mind momentary i even like dogs of war,which most people seem to have a major problem with.
I love Gilmours sounds but love the passion of Waters lyrics even more. If the songs of the floyd weren't so profound lyrically then i dare say they wouldnt be my favourite band.
On saying that, Gilmours notes get into your soul. He has an amazing ear for music.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:37 AM   #12646
eGraham
Logjammin'

I really like Dogs of War.

Dat sax

October 23, 2014
Old 07-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #12647
jesse1994

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...0705-story.html

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOO
jesse1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #12648
romencer17
UG God

I'd care if it was Division Bell sessions

Sumdeus
Old 08-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #12649
eGraham
Logjammin'

How did I miss this thread for a month? ;___;

Anyway I'm excited for another PF release. I didn't expect anything after Division Bell.

October 23, 2014
Old 08-08-2014, 10:41 AM   #12650
Rickholly74

Maybe it's just my observation but I think musicians like Pink Floyd more than the average music consumers. I'm not sure why but I think if you ask ten musicians about Pink Floyd, eight out of ten will nod in agreement (if not total reverence). Ask ten non musicians and the stats will be much lower ("yeah, they're ok" or "I just don't get it"). What is it that make us musicians revere them more?

My own opinion is that their music and the way they play can often sound so simple but in reality is so complex. Strange tempos, unusual key changes (that shouldn't work but do for Pink Floyd), harmonic interplay between Richard and Dave along with other things that make musicians say "WOW!".
Rickholly74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:11 PM   #12651
eGraham
Logjammin'

Well, for me, personally, I really enjoy the blues. David Gilmour's a very talented multi-instrumentalist that incorporate the blues somehow into most of the music he writes, so that's a big attraction to me right from the start.

Also, Gilmour, Waters, and Wright were all real musicians. They're similar to the Beatles in that fashion. Most bands have one, maybe two people of true talent who drive the band, but Floyd is different in the respect of artistic input and motion.

I guess it takes a musician to recognize what it means to be a good musician, even if you aren't that good at it yourself (like me). A lot of what Floyd plays, like you said, is not the most complex stuff in the world. But at the same time it works excellently, and not just anyone could come up with the way they did things.

October 23, 2014
Old 08-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #12652
romencer17
UG God

I would disagree, Pink Floyd is accessible as hell so tons of people don't play music dig Dark Side and The Wall. Nowadays it's more common for me to hear musicians saying Pink Floyd isn't compositionally complex enough and too simple.

also

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
Also, Gilmour, Waters, and Wright were all real musicians. They're similar to the Beatles in that fashion. Most bands have one, maybe two people of true talent who drive the band, but Floyd is different in the respect of artistic input and motion.

what? please explain to me how someone like Roger Waters is a real musician compared to others and what bands only had one or two real musicians out of all the musicians they had. Waters is a musician but Mason isn't? really? or Barrett?

Sumdeus
Old 08-08-2014, 09:08 PM   #12653
eGraham
Logjammin'

Mason never was a major contributor as far as how the music was made, though. A talented musician, perhaps, but unfortunately he was kind of smothered by the other guys. "Real musicians" was a very improper way to say what I meant.

And when it comes down to it, most of Floyd really is pretty simple. But simple or complex doesn't matter as much as if I like it or not lol

I don't know how to classify Barrett. I don't really like his era of Floyd, save for a few of the hits. I can't say if he was a prodigy or insane.

October 23, 2014
Old 08-09-2014, 03:15 PM   #12654
romencer17
UG God

I'd say Barrett was the most innovative guitarist in 60's psychedelic rock, but Piper is one of my favorite records and I believe it is pretty much the perfect psychedelic album. He was a genius whose ego was too fragile for the fame and attention he started getting, and he got caught in the chokehold of managers and expectations when he needed to be free as an artist. Fellow bandmates pushing hard for fame and money certainly didn't help, and I think he could tell he was going to get kicked out which is when he started the really weird antics in order to make it difficult for the band. I think the acid binging was a mix of depression and a need for escapism due to freaking out over sudden fame/attention and your band plotting to bail on you. They of course also didn't know too much about how it can affect you if you trip nonstop for a month, unfortunately.

ultimately i think there was a whole lot of elements that make it too complex to just say "it was drugs' or "it was inherent mental health" or "it was the fame", but all I know is it was sad and it shouldn't have happened. His solo albums and the parts of Saucerful he wrote show to me that he certainly wasn't running out of ideas; if only his mental state had stayed stable...

I also would have really enjoyed more material with Syd and Gilmour working together, since they were old friends they probably had good chemistry and it would've been interesting to have Syd do main rhythm and the crazy freakout stuff Glimour borrowed from him later and have Gilmour doing more melodic/bluesy leads and accenting stuff

Sumdeus

Last edited by romencer17 : 08-09-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #12655
Ante Škifić

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
How did I miss this thread for a month? ;___;

Anyway I'm excited for another PF release. I didn't expect anything after Division Bell.

Hey, I just saw this post - and couldn`t believe it! I did some googling, and yeah - they are releasing an album!

Wow, that is really exciting...I`ve been listening to their music since forever, and that are truly great news!
Ante Škifić is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:15 AM   #12656
dansatadmad

I dont think they are as accessible as you say. Dsotm and animals are very hard to get into on the first listen nevermind ummagumma and patgod etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by romencer17

what? please explain to me how someone like Roger Waters is a real musician compared to others and what bands only had one or two real musicians out of all the musicians they had. Waters is a musician but Mason isn't? really? or Barrett?

What defines a musician?
I would have thought that Roger waters fits very well into the Dylan,Young,Diamond and lennon mould.
Is being a good musician only related to how well you play a certain instrument. Sorry i cant agree with that.
All 5 members of floyd are great musicians in my mind.

Last edited by dansatadmad : 08-22-2014 at 08:30 PM. Reason: misplaced commas
Old 08-23-2014, 06:29 AM   #12657
farcry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ante Škifić
Hey, I just saw this post - and couldn`t believe it! I did some googling, and yeah - they are releasing an album!

Wow, that is really exciting...I`ve been listening to their music since forever, and that are truly great news!

**** off.... no they aren't... are they?
farcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:58 AM   #12658
eGraham
Logjammin'

Yea, it's mostly instrumental tracks that were leftover from The Division Bell.

I think at least one song with singing has been confirmed, and from what I've read it's supposed to be another epic.

October 23, 2014

Rate This Thread: