Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 03-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #21
one vision
Trolling /sg/
 
one vision's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgraves
What's harmonic about that scale now?

The Harmonic Minor isn't named so because the 6th has some special harmonic property. It's called that because it shows up primarily when harmonizing the dominant in a minor scale.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Kharmel
no, harmonic major is the third mode of harmonic minor, being major with a raised 5


It was a joke.
__________________
Gibson SG '61 Reissue w/ B7 Bigsby & Gold Hardware, bitch / Almansa Cutaway 403

New composition, the shit's dope.
Romance No. 1 D minor

/sg/ - Solid Guitar
one vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #22
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
 
MaggaraMarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Finland
Who cares about what the scale is called? Does it really matter? It has a lot to do with the chords you are playing over. The chords are more important and I bet the b6 is there because of the chords you are playing over.

The right answer is major scale with a b6.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #23
ha_asgag
Registered User
 
ha_asgag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Ionian(b6) could be a concise derivative name for this.

It is true that "names get in the way" and it's hard to retrace any existing HISTORICAL / FORMAL names for this.

Assuming there weren't any typographical errors, the closest match I found was
"Ethiopian Scale" from http://www.apassion4jazz.net/scales2.html.

The above source should have been sufficient however complications occur due to the discrepancies in the Ethiopian scale formulas when you look up other sources:

Ethiopian Scale = 1-2-b3-4-5-b6-b7 [= Aeolian]
source: http://www.ehow.com/how_4457553_pla...ale-guitar.html
source: Guitar Pro Scale database

Ethiopian Scale = 1-2-b3-4-5-b6-b7 [ascending] / 1-2-3-4-5-b6-7 [descending only]
source: http://www.medianmusic.com/ScaleForeign.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, a relative mode of this scale was used in Bartok's Mikrokosmos: No 10.
ha_asgag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #24
Hail
i'm a mean bully
 
Hail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ha_asgag
Ionian(b6) could be a concise derivative name for this.

It is true that "names get in the way" and it's hard to retrace any existing HISTORICAL / FORMAL names for this.

Assuming there weren't any typographical errors, the closest match I found was
"Ethiopian Scale" from http://www.apassion4jazz.net/scales2.html.

The above source should have been sufficient however complications occur due to the discrepancies in the Ethiopian scale formulas when you look up other sources:

Ethiopian Scale = 1-2-b3-4-5-b6-b7 [= Aeolian]
source: http://www.ehow.com/how_4457553_pla...ale-guitar.html
source: Guitar Pro Scale database

Ethiopian Scale = 1-2-b3-4-5-b6-b7 [ascending] / 1-2-3-4-5-b6-7 [descending only]
source: http://www.medianmusic.com/ScaleForeign.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, a relative mode of this scale was used in Bartok's Mikrokosmos: No 10.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanjames10
Hail you can take your bully attitude and f*ck off.
Hail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #25
Hydra150
not so cowardly
 
Hydra150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scotland
Is that Andrew Scott?
__________________
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #26
Hail
i'm a mean bully
 
Hail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
(:
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanjames10
Hail you can take your bully attitude and f*ck off.
Hail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:55 AM   #27
TheHydra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgraves
What's harmonic about that scale now?

The Harmonic Minor isn't named so because the 6th has some special harmonic property. It's called that because it shows up primarily when harmonizing the dominant in a minor scale.

An augmented vi chord is harmonic as fuck, man.
TheHydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:36 AM   #28
ha_asgag
Registered User
 
ha_asgag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronowarp
the modes of it work great over some altered shit.


And so with the harmonized scale...

"C Ethiopian Scale" or C Ionian(b6) = [C-D-E-F-G-Ab-B]
Have fun with the chords.

*C-CM7-Caug-CM7#5
*Dm7b5-Ddim7
*Em7-Eaug-E7-E7b9-E/G#
*Fm-Fm6-FmM7-Fdim7-FmM7b5
*G-G7-G7b9-G6
*Abaug-AbM7#5-Abdim7-AbmM7b5-AbmM7#5
*Bdim7

Last edited by ha_asgag : 03-21-2013 at 12:56 AM.
ha_asgag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:54 AM   #29
ha_asgag
Registered User
 
ha_asgag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
another additional name: Indian Sarasangi Scale from the 72 melakartas.
ha_asgag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:12 AM   #30
jerrykramskoy
Registered User
 
jerrykramskoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by food1010
TS, why do you need a name for it? It is what it is, how does a name help you at all?


shorthand. same as all scale names and chord names.
__________________
https://soundcloud.com/jerry-kramskoy-1
jerrykramskoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:03 AM   #31
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
 
MaggaraMarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ha_asgag
another additional name: Indian Sarasangi Scale from the 72 melakartas.

Why did you bump this thread?



BTW, regarding harmonic major, what kind of BS is this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_major_scale
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 08-11-2015 at 08:47 AM.
MaggaraMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:45 AM   #32
Hail
i'm a mean bully
 
Hail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
because he had valuable and correct information that might still be relevant to TS

and because he likes to make my blood pressure boil over
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanjames10
Hail you can take your bully attitude and f*ck off.
Hail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:07 AM   #33
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
 
theogonia777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Backwoods
He necrobumped a NecroComet thread. That's silly.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
That's right I have a four inch penis.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
write 3 page long posts with the wrong opinions until people who don't actually read here or know anything about music theory promote you

worked for 20T


Pats killed McNair


Now you have no excuse...
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:25 PM.

Forum Archives / About / TOS / Advertise with us / Customer Support / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2015
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.