User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-18-2014, 03:59 AM   #61
FatalGear41
War Mastiff!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
Don't knock the low end stuff. There's cracking things coming from the Indonesian Cort Factory.

Yes, Jeff Berlin would agree!!!

FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:48 AM   #62
Spaz91
RIP Terry

Hey. You. Why I oughtta.
Spaz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:44 AM   #63
Grendel40

General Information
First Name: Sean
Been Playing For: 15 years give or take
Which Instruments Can You Play, Besides Bass: Tenor Sax, Bass sax, clarinet, tuba, baritone horn, bass clarinet

Bass Guitars
Current Bass(es): Ibanez SR885 5-string, Ibanez BTB676 6-string
Favourite Bass You Own: the SR885
Favourite Bass You've Played: Warwick Vampyre NT 5

Amps
Current Amp(s): Ampeg BA-115 1x15 combo
Favourite Amp You Own: the BA-115 (cuz it's the only one I own)

Genres
Genres You Play: Everything but country
Genres You Enjoy Playing: Same as above
Favourite Genre to Play: Funk

Knowledge, etc
Which Aspect of Basses Do You Have the Most Proficiency: Playing and theory
Favourite Famous Bass Player: Les Claypool, Steve Harris, Geddy Lee, Victor Wooten
Famous Bass Player You Think You Most Resemble in Style or Personality: Somewhere between Cliff Burton and Geddy Lee
Grendel40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:37 PM   #64
FatalGear41
War Mastiff!!!

Welcome to the world's best Low End Forum, my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:08 AM   #65
Pastafarian96
Tears of poison

I've been occasionally posting here for a while and lurking longer so I might as well fill this out:

General information:
First name:Axel
Been playing for:3 years 5months (or so)
Which instruments can you play, except Bass: piano, accordion, guitar, mandolin, ukulele, lap steel (pretty badly) and I bought a violin this afternoon

Bass Guitars

Current Bass\es: just one ( ), Squier Affinity Series Precision bass
Favourite Bass you own: that p-bass
Favourite Bass you've played: Fender Jazz bass (I don't remember details)
Dream Bass: Rickenbacker 4003

Amps
Current amp\s: Fender Rumble 15
Favourite amp you own: that rumble
Favourite amp you've played on: one that was made out of an old record player/radio cabinet, it was really nice
Dream amp: god, anything better than a fender rumble 15

Effects
Do you use effects?, if so, which?: fuzz if I feel like it.
Which effects do you own: MXR bass fuzz deluxe
Favourite effect: definitely the fuzz

Genres
Genres you play: Jazz, blues, rock (from rock and roll all the way to progressive and experimental) and a little bit of reggae and ska,
Genres you enjoy playing: reggae usually has nice syncopated bass lines and ska for having the off-beat accent like reggae but usually being faster.
Favourite genre to play: the more experimental side of rock.
Bands you are in: none at the moment.

Knowledge etc

Which aspect of Basses you have the most proficieny in, (Playing and Technique\Building and maintaining\Composing and theory\ Gear: definitely theory, nearly all from 8 years of piano lessons
Favourite famous bass player: toss up between Patrick O'Hearn (Zappa) and Herbie Flowers. Tom Fowler (also Zappa) gets honourable mention
Famous bass player you think you most resemble in style or personality: I have no idea

Honoured friend of Harvey Swick

Pride in my work
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
like an emo Jesus

"he cried for your feels"
Buy me a dress, I'll be whatever you want
Pastafarian96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:02 PM   #66
Jeremy.R5544998

Hello all. My name is Jeremy. I am actually new to bass. I have been playing guitar for over 13 years, and am switching to bass for a particular band. The only thing comfortable about the bass is the rhythm part of it. Since I work on rhythm all the time, I can naturally get a good groove going, BUT the picking technique feels SO different, and the size of the frets are intimidating. Other than that I have a LOT of fun playing bass.

I don't understand how people can look down on bass players or why people think they're "too good" for it. This stuff is FUN!!!!!

Also, I haven't yet bought my own. Any tips on what to look for? I know for sure my favorite fretboard is rosewood. But what else should I look for if I want a good sound for metal/hard rock (sort of like BFMV), that also looks real nice? Thanks!!!!
Jeremy.R5544998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:48 PM   #67
Spaz91
RIP Terry

Welcome! Give us a budget for your bass in the Forum Plan thread and we'll think of something. (Probably Ibanez though.)
Old 02-21-2015, 07:29 AM   #68
varunmalya

need an amplifier. Bass amps need more power to drive the lower frequencies so I would get one that has at least 50 watts.There is also a Bass trainer that is pretty cool.
varunmalya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:54 PM   #69
Spaz91
RIP Terry

Any ss bass amp under 200w might as well be 10w.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:43 PM   #70
Sliide90027

General Information
First Name: Sliide
Been Playing For: 38 years (except for the 7 years after I first saw Adam Nitti and sold him my cabinet)
Which Instruments Can You Play, Besides Bass: anything, just really really bad

Bass Guitars
Current Bass(es: Ibanez BTB1006 6-string Fretless, BTB456, BTB455, BTB405
Favorite Bass You Own: the 456
Favorite Bass You've Played: the 456

Amps
Current Amp(s): Genz Benz NeoX400-112t (x2), GBE600, ShuttleMax12.0, 3x Genz Benz NeoX112t, 1x NeoX212
Favorite Amp You Own: the NeoX400-112t (except that the speaker is shaking it apart) or the GBE600

Genres
Genres You Play: Everything but Rap
Genres You Enjoy Playing: Same as above
Favorite Genre to Play: Progressive

Knowledge, etc
Which Aspect of Basses Do You Have the Most Proficiency: Where to begin? Classically Trained on DBV from 9 to 17, pretty much self taught on BG since 11, Outstanding 7th Grader in Strings out of 4-5 Elementary Schools, Jazz Band 4 years in H.S., accepted to Northside H.S. for the Performing Arts in ATL, 2 years Jazz Improvisation Studies in H.S., All-State Jazz Performance Semi-Finalist for 2 year in H.S., 2 year Jazz Performance Studies University level, use loads of effects, inspired Univ. Instructor to buy the 5th K.Smith Contrabass ever made.
Favorite Famous Bass Player: John Entwistle, Geddy Lee, Jaco Pastorious, Adam Nitti, Mark King
Famous Bass Player You Think You Most Resemble in Style or Personality: Somewhere between Entwistle, King, and Lee. People say I look like Geddy, but quiet like Entwistle.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Sliide90027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:49 PM   #71
Spaz91
RIP Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliide90027
Current Bass(es: Ibanez BTB1006 6-string Fretless, BTB456, BTB455, BTB405

There's a man that knows what he likes. Any thoughts on the Workshop BTBs?
Old 03-31-2015, 06:27 AM   #72
Sliide90027

Funny you ask Spaz.

For my tone, influenced by Entwistle on My Generation, which is a Danelectro, to Greg Lake's Alembic 8 String, and Geddy's Rick [which was actually his 65 Jazz], I was never after depth or mush. Such things were easy to get with a P Bass and neck position playing.

The 1006 does depth due to the Mahogany Core. Would like an Ebony Board, but that would be even yet more darkness.

Getting closer to the answer you seek...the 400 Series of the BTBs are all I could ever tonally dream of.

Basswood clarity. I desire no color or darkness.

Walnut stringers. The Bubinga on the 1006 needed adjustment first before any of my Walnut basses. [In January the 1006 took a spill right on to the head stock on a stepped stage. It was moved -2 cents out of tune on the lower strings. It is still going.]

Maple Top and Neck sections for beauty and snap.

Bolt on Neck for punch. [Adam Nitti told me of this in 05. I had to finally get a hold of a top of the line Ken Smith to feel no joy in the Holy Grail of 6 Strings, and then wander around the Bass Gallery a few more minutes and find a Bolt on Ken Smith to find the inspiration was in steel screws,]

Variable midrange frequency sweep [None of the Preamp makers get the mid frequency right for me]

This is what I have learned is the root of my tone, which made the MD at Dollywood literally drool and say "God, I love the tone! Where have you been?"

Workshops just do not have any, and I mean ANY, of these attributes.

I look into buying used 400 Series for parts and refinishing to get a Blue 6 [I talked about them too much on another forum and the 456's are now so long to find], as I wait for Ibanez to do a 10 year Anniversary reissue of the 456. Even a 15 year Anniversary of the 406 in Blue.

If the neck aspects on the StingRay were not battish, I would not have ever looked at the BTB...well except when I found a 6 String.

So, because of the 6 String models, the 400 BTB stands in a non substitute position for me. [It easily gets the Ray Tone, and the Danelectro]

Because the 456 inspires me more than a One Piece Ken Smith, it has indeterminate value to me. It is quintessential to what Ken has done with the Bass Guitar, but for us poor folks, yet it kicks his set neck bass's ass.

P, J, Sting Ray, Ken Smith, BTB456 - for me the evolution was complete. The only curiosity I have right now is a Status 6 with the LEDs and a non standard body shape that I would have to have worked up.

Inspiration to me is this- when you pick up an instrument and you begin playing and hearing things that you never believed you could do nor imagined.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Morely A/B
Old 03-31-2015, 06:20 PM   #73
Sliide90027

Wow, just realized that I posted on this thread last year or so ago.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Morely A/B

Rate This Thread: