Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
mickel_w

Need help with an amp simulator/Recording device (DI Box?)

I am looking to buy something which I can use as a pre-amp to get the desired guitar sounds, whilst being able to record GOOD quality audio into Garage Band/ Reaper / whatever.

I currently have a Line 6 Pod 2.0, which I have been trying to use for both these purposes. Sucks at recording as it's not made for that anyway (Or there is some recording secret which I do not know about) and it's not all that easy to get a good guitar sound.

Here is how I have tried to record:

Guitar into Pod 2.0, then a 2x jack to mini jack cable, plugged directly from the Pod into my iMac. Garage Band with clean amp setting, all effects done on Pod. Sounds crap, badly distorted when I try anything else than a clean/acoustic sound.

I have also tried it vice versa, clean setting on my Pod, amp sims on garage band. Sounds about the same, but more unwanted sounds.

When I was recording for a cover with a fricking Nikon camera (a damn good one though) which recorded my amp which was connected to my pod for a custom sound it was much better than direct recording... strange.

Then again, I hear it's all about the sound card (If I used my pod for recording but bought a better sound card for my iMac would the quality improve significantly? Or would I be better off buying a USB interface?). Killrbuckeye, this guy that makes covers, used a pod 2.0 and AUDACITY and got some killer professional sounds (Didn't check his soundcard as I'm a newb and can't tell a difference between a potato and a sound card).

Which is the best option for me?

1. Sell my pod and buy a better amp simulator and recording interface (preferably 2 in 1, any suggestions would be welcome)

2. Keep my pod for amp simulating when performing but buy a USB interface

3. When recording, go through pod for a good amp sound and then into interface and then into mac?

4. Other options that would beat both of these?

Can you guys also share any techniques you use for recording or how to get the most out of my pod? I feel like I wasted 100..

Advice on ANY of my problems is highly appreciated, I know I'm asking for tons of help here, but my long research turned out to be inconclusive. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mickel_w : 05-04-2013 at 12:08 PM.
mickel_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
mickel_w

bumppp.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
MatrixClaw
UG God

Moved to the correct forum

Take a look at our stickies, most of your questions can be answered in those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
mickel_w

Thanks, I wasn't sure whether to post this here or under the recording section.
Anyway, I have looked at the stickies, and found them very helpful (they answered a lot of my questions), however this is the problem I've encountered after reading them and I can't find an answer here thats the only reason im asking for help by posting
Old 05-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

The POD will be useful in a live situation (in some cases) but it's not much good for recording more than rough demos.

The Site I Write For / My Soundcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan311
Proving yet again that you consistently have the worst taste on this forum.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:04 AM   #6
gosam

Most people will tell you that plugging directly into your sound card is bad.
So you can either invest in a recording interface, or maybe get one of the POD HDs that allow you to record through USB, acting effectively as your preamp and recording interface.
gosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #7
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

For the money though the PodHD's are huge rip offs... again unless you're gonna use it live all the time and really love Line6's take on High Gain modelling.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 05-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
mickel_w

hmm... is it better to invest in a recording interface or just a new sound card?..
Old 05-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #9
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

An interface IS a form of soundcard. One that is specifically designed for that kind of recording.

So get an interface. We have a sticky about them check it out and feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 05-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #10
mickel_w

Ok... seems like I'm gonna get the Behringer (dont laugh please) for now and go through pod into interface into mac... should be good enough for covers right? At least for now. If I will want to get further into recording then I will look at cashing out and investing in a better option. Unless there is some good and affordable combination of a pre amp and recording interface? Then I would sell my pod and buy that. Affordable is up to 200 for me, as the pod will sell for about 80 - 100 (hopefully).
Any suggestions? The only one I can find on the stickies is the Line 6 pod one... Does this product have customizable sounds or just presets? Either way (as you've even said) I heard they're not that good for either recording or preamp..
Old 05-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #11
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickel_w
Ok... seems like I'm gonna get the Behringer (dont laugh please) for now and go through pod into interface into mac... should be good enough for covers right? At least for now. If I will want to get further into recording then I will look at cashing out and investing in a better option. Unless there is some good and affordable combination of a pre amp and recording interface? Then I would sell my pod and buy that. Affordable is up to 200 for me, as the pod will sell for about 80 - 100 (hopefully).
Any suggestions? The only one I can find on the stickies is the Line 6 pod one... Does this product have customizable sounds or just presets? Either way (as you've even said) I heard they're not that good for either recording or preamp..

If you're going to get the Behringer Guitar Link, get This instead, it's just an unbranded version of the same device (even uses the same drivers).
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: