Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #21
Vecheka
shred metalist

If you're just playing/practicing and are a relatively new guitarist then just find a good solid-state modeling amp, like the Peavey Vypyr 15. It gives you a lot of amp models to mess around with and it sounds pretty good for a small solid-state amp.

Other posters are right about the guitar though: you definitely want it to feel very good in your hands. You don't have to go out and blow a ton of money on a high end instrument, but find something that fits your style and feels good to play. You can find many used guitars on ebay, some of which may fit your style very nicely (like an Ibanez Rg1570). Honestly, go to your nearest guitar store and try a bunch of different types of guitars, and then look those up online to find a good deal. You should be able to find a decent used mid-level guitar and a nice modeling amp for bedroom practice for $500-600.
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Vecheka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:07 AM   #22
dannyalcatraz

Generally speaking, I prefer the portable digital modelers over digital modeling amps. All the little tools- metronomes, tuners, etc.- coupled with portability is a powerful combination.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #23
dspellman

I'd forgotten about the little modelers.

I've got an old Korg PX-3D and a newer PX-5 (the silver one in dannyalcatraz' photo). Between that and an iPhone or iPad, there's an awful lot you can do.

The Korgs have an impressive list of amps/cabs/FX (plan on doing some tweaking if you're picky about the sound). Mine also has drum patterns, bass patterns, metronome, tuner, etc. I can bring in a song or backing track on the phone, play along with that through the Korg. I can use the iGizmo to look at tab, "sheet" music, etc. I can record sections onto the Korg and use that as a phrase trainer (over and over and over and over...). The Korg will shift its pitch without changing the timing, or it can change the timing without shifting the pitch (so that I can ramp up my speed). You can record via USB to a computer (my PX5D came with Ableton or some such) or to an iPhone/iPad (Garage Band or other DAW). Tons more. I've actually run the thing into a 50W tube-amp powered 2x12, and it makes a pretty decent preamp. In a pinch, you could gig with it.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #24
JakeFrmStatFarm

How exactly do those little digital modelers work? I've never heard of 'em.
JakeFrmStatFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #25
dannyalcatraz

Plug & play, baby!

Essentially, all will have a jack for headphones/guitar cable output and one for your guitar input, plus possibly some others, like a USB and/or some kind of removable chip drive.

There will be gain, volume, bass and treble controls like on an amp.

There will be some preprogrammed models for certain kinds of amps and effects, a tuner, a metronome, and maybe even some drum beats.

The more expensive models will offer looping/phrase training, programmable models that can be saved, and so forth.

Now, in all honesty, some of those digital models are terrible. But so far, every one of them I've tried has had some great ones, too. Oddly, it will even very within brands, from model to model- just because you like the "Jazz" setting on one Korg doesn't mean it will be good on a different Korg modeler.

They run on batteries or with adapters, and they will fit in your guitar case, so you can take them anywhere. That means you can grab your guitar and jam in the park on a sunny day.

And because they work primarily with headphones, you can practice at 2AM while your housemates and neighbors are sleeping.

And as was pointed out, there are apps for smartphones and tablets (at least, iOS and Android) that deliver similar functionality.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 11-12-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #26
JakeFrmStatFarm

That actually sounds like a really interesting possibility. Around how much do they cost?
Old 11-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #27
dannyalcatraz

The cheapest ones are the size of a 4G Wi-Fi hotspot, and cost @$99.

The more powerful ones can cost $150-300. That does not include your cables, headphones batteries or power adapters.

Yes, that does mean they can cost more than a modeling amp. However, miniaturization always costs money. And its a lot easier toting around one of these little things than a modeling amp.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #28
JakeFrmStatFarm

Is it worth going for a 200 dollar model, or do you get a LOT more for 300? Since I am on a very limited budget, I need as much bang for my buck as possible.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:02 AM   #29
dannyalcatraz

I just looked- $200 will get you a lot.

1) the Boss Micro BR 80 is running $250
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BR80/

2) the Korg Px5 can be had for $200
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pa...715-i1387080.gc

3) the Korg Px4 has been resurrected as a stompbox
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PandoraSTOr/

4) the Pocket POD is still a winner for $129
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PocketPOD/

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 11-13-2013 at 06:05 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #30
JakeFrmStatFarm

Versatile little buggers, aren't they? I mean, just taking a real quick glance at 'em, and it seems I can do anything with 'em. Wanna jam in silence? Put my headphones on. Wanna impress the friends? Plug it into anything! (Seems like you can at least. I see no reason I couldn't get it to play through a stereo if I wanted to.)

Thanks. I will consider one of those for sure. I'll have to try a few out first, but I wouldn't be surprised if I owned one pretty soon.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #31
dannyalcatraz

They're not a sub for a true amp, but they are incredible practice tools, and I actually used one for 3 years before buying an amp. In a sense, it bought me time to sort out what I really wanted...and save up for it.

I figured out that my primary desire in an amp was a crystal clear clean channel...a tabula rasa I could muck about with using a ton of pedals. So I bought a 40w Fender HRD combo.

I ALSO figured out my secondary desire is to have a good amp for heavier genres, especially since the HRD ain't gonna cut it. So an Orange combo amp is on my GAS list.

Quote:
I see no reason I couldn't get it to play through a stereo if I wanted to.

I'm not sure if I could hook one up to my current component system, but I know I could plug into most boom boxes. And I bet you could hook into any car with an AUX jack or USB connectivity.

That last trick would be even easier if you went with a smartphone/tablet modeling app...

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 11-13-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #32
JakeFrmStatFarm

I know my little Vox amPlugs can be played through a stereo just through your standard audio jack, which I assume these have if you can use headphones. Regardless, I'll be putting them on my list.

Rate This Thread: