Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
FlightofIcarus

Greenback vs G12H30 vs ?

Well, It's another one of those gear moments - One that makes me think I'm just too much of a tone %*#)@, and can't seem to stop tweaking with stuff!

I'm possibly considering more speaker experimentation w/my new cab already. I ordered an Avatar contemporary 4x12 with greenbacks in it not too long ago. I had 2x2 combo of WGS Veteran 30's and ET-65's I was gonna put into it, and sell the GB's w/my old 1960A cab. I ended up really liking the GB's, and selling the Marshall w/the WGS stuff in it.

Although I've had my fun playing around w/the GB's in my new cab, I finally got a chance to actually turn my amp up with them a bit (ENGL Fireball 60). I absolutely LOVE the rich, musical tone, and aggressive mid-range bark that they have, but I'm finding that when the volume goes up, that they break up a bit too early for me - The low and high characteristics end up changing quite a bit, and while it's awesome for some things, it's not what I'm looking to have color my high gain metal tones.

The real question I have, should I give the GB's more time? (They're not what I'd call fully broken in yet), or should I consider yet another swap? I'm not looking to go back to Veteran 30's or ET-65's (Both nice speakers, but not to my preference w/the ENGL - The Veteran 30 is pretty different than a real Vintage 30 IMHO. The ET-65 is nice, but is more balanced to my ears/lacking mid-range bark), but was considering the following options..

- Switch to G12H30's? (Not much more wattage, but I hear they handle lows better/tighter than a GB at higher volume)

- Switch to WGS Reaper 50's? (My favorite WGS Speaker from what I remember, but it's been awhile since I've played through them - and it was w/a different amp when I had one).

- Other options? (Recommend me something! )

Overall, I guess I'm after something rich and musical/mid-rangey like a GB, but that can also handle high gain/modern tones a bit cleaner/tighter, with higher wattage. I suppose the Vintage 30 is the "go-to" choice in my situation, but to me, the GB/G12-H style speakers (from what I've heard), have a different character/warmth to them that I prefer.
Nothing about a 7 string guitar is different than a 6 string except for extra string. You don't play it differently, you don't lick it differently, and you certainly don't take it to cheap restaurants either, you saucy boy.

FlightofIcarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

you could maybe try a mix of g12h30s and greenbacks? i like that combo. I only play at lower volumes, though, so bear that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

It sounds like you want Splawn Small Blocks. They are more or less GB clones, but higher wattage. I have some and they have the exact characteristics you are after: rich midrange, "musical" as you call it, and they definitely won't break up as quick as standard GBs (they are rated for 55 watts)

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
Most_Triumphant
is being Excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
you could maybe try a mix of g12h30s and greenbacks? i like that combo. I only play at lower volumes, though, so bear that in mind.

This. Try the mix, I've only heard nice things about that.

Like The Who? http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/thewhoclub/
Most_Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
FlightofIcarus

Sounds like I'll have to try the whole speaker mixing thing again! Oh, the never-ending quest for tone..

Dave, you own a cab with the GB/G12-H30 combo? I heard that the H30 has less mid bark, but tighter lows/smoother highs. Just trying to get a bit more info there if possible before I throw a pair of GB's up on CL.
Nothing about a 7 string guitar is different than a 6 string except for extra string. You don't play it differently, you don't lick it differently, and you certainly don't take it to cheap restaurants either, you saucy boy.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Hey dude. Good to see ya again. You're description of the H30 seems valid. That is why I got one at one point because I wanted tighter low end and less mids. I paired it with a Classic Lead 80 for my Splawn Quick Rod. That was a good combination for down tuned heavy bass type stuff that I like.

I sold that cab to gregs1020 to fund my Splawn cab - which has Small Blocks. I can highly recommend those too
Old 05-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
Guitar-KID125
UG's Hottest MoFo

*cough* Scumback M series *cough*

In all honesty though, I enjoy a good v30/greenback combo for metal.
People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Guitar-KID125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightofIcarus
Dave, you own a cab with the GB/G12-H30 combo? I heard that the H30 has less mid bark, but tighter lows/smoother highs. Just trying to get a bit more info there if possible before I throw a pair of GB's up on CL.

not currently, i still have the speakers but they're paired up with different things

i'm not sure about the smoother highs (it really depends on how you describe it), but tighter lows and fewer mids sound about right for the g12h30.

i also have a cab with a tayden high brit and great brit, which is a bit like a greenback/g12h30 combo, but not exactly.

Quote:

Old 05-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
MatrixClaw
UG God

Buy some Splawn Small Blocks.

Seriously, VERY underrated speaker - They're like Greenbacks on steroids. They're basically a Heritage G12M with a bigger lowend and a more round top end. Great speakers, and you can get 2 for a little more than one G12H30, they're also 55w, so you have more headroom
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #10
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
Buy some Splawn Small Blocks. Seriously, VERY underrated speaker - They're like Greenbacks on steroids. They're basically a Heritage G12M with a bigger lowend and a more round top end. Great speakers, and you can get 2 for a little more than one G12H30, they're also 55w, so you have more headroom

See, I know what I am talking about, if a mod says it then it has to be true

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #11
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
See, I know what I am talking about, if a mod says it then it has to be true

Yep, we're two peas in a far out pod, man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #12
ikey_

a reaper is a g12h30 clone...with whatever mods WGS did to it
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Accountant Comp, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #13
Robbgnarly

I have a 2x12 cab with a Eminence GB128 and a WGS Reaper HP and they sound really good. I was skeptical at first, but they ended up working really nice with my amps
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #14
FlightofIcarus

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

In a bit of a dillema of sorts. Those Splawn small blocks sound like they're probably pretty awesome speakers. However, I also have the chance to score two H30's for about the same price (way under normal retail). I'm guessing since they're Celestions, I could probably flip 'em for what I'd be able to buy them for if I ended up not liking them? (Guessing that probably isn't the case w/the small blocks).

EDIT: Jumped on the deal for the G12H30's. Should be here sometime next week for me to try them out. Getting kind of curious on the idea of a G12H30/Small block combo too...

Last edited by FlightofIcarus : 05-25-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #15
FlightofIcarus

Bringing back this thread, only to let anyone curious know how things played out. Was definitely interested in the Splawn small blocks, but had to jump on a deal for G12H30's (i.e - cheap enough that I'd be able to recover my losses if I didn't dig 'em).

The G12H30's definitely live up to the "greenback on steroids" description I've heard quite a bit in the past (I had never hear an actual Celestion G12H30 in person until now. The low end is much stronger/tighter, and there is more clarity in the highs. They have slightly less mid bark than the greenbacks, which is a good thing with the G12M/G12H mix, because the G12H's are slightly louder than the G12M's (The mids of the G12M help out w/it's lower Db rating)

My overall impression for now? I think I prefer the tone of the greenbacks over the G12H for most things (Medium magnets = sweeter tone?), but the G12H wins when it comes to handling the heavier/more modern stuff (But still has some vintage vibe to it). I'll have to play around with this combo for awhile/possibly tinker around with other mixes in the future. I used to think I was too much of a pickup junkie - But I now know that speaker swapping has proven to be quite the Pandora's box of tone hunting for me!

Last edited by FlightofIcarus : 05-30-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:36 PM   #16
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ yeah speaker swapping is addictive nice score, and thanks for keeping us updated.

yeah that sounds like a g12h versus g12m in a nutshell. It's probably worth pointing out that the anniversary isn't quite as sweet-sounding (IMO) as the heritage version (i have the 55Hz version) or the tayden great brit, at least out of the box.

Quote:

Rate This Thread: