User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #1261
Fisheth24
Lord Of The Dark Things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless-john
Are there any particular Flash arcs you (or anybody else) would recommend?

Been wondering this too, my knowledge on The Flash is next to nothing
Schecter Blaxjack ATX V-1
Vintage Musicman Bass copy
Fisheth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #1262
uhh_me?
schmendrick.

Never read anything Flash. Not a whole lot of interest in the character or really superheroes at this point. I guess at some point I would like to go back and read the very oldest of Wonder Woman stuff, but in no rush.

I am reading Stray Bullets which is great. Does so much really well.

What else? The first issue of The Wicked and the Divine that came out last month was excellent. Anyone else reading it? Seems to be dealing with pop music and celebrity worship in an interesting way. Well worth picking up.
uhh_me? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #1263
jwizzle5786
JJ

Waid's Flash is supposed to be one of the best, though I think the volumes are out of print.

Also, I picked up Stokoe's Wonton Soup and am very much enjoying it.
jwizzle5786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:39 PM   #1264
BelowTheSun

Waid's Flash is okay. It has one really good story (The Return Of Barry Allen), but after that it kind of tails off. I'm in the middle of Geoff Johns' run, which is great because Geoff Johns.

For an introduction to Barry Allen, I'd say read The Flash: Rebirth (Barry's return from the dead) and the Flash series that Johns wrote under the Brightest Day banner, before the reboot. After that you've gotta go back to the 80's to find Barry stuff.

Actually, that's a lie, because the Bucellato/Manapul Flash book was maybe the best of the New 52.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:21 PM   #1265
homeless-john
authentic kung fu action

I'll have a look into some of that stuff then.

Started watching Arrow today and it's a really fun show. It's well acted and the character dynamics are keeping me interested. Not to mention the action, which was been pretty well choreographed. It's a far better show than Agents of SHIELD. Arrow is like going round to a friend's house, getting offered a chicken sandwich and it's really good. Agents of SHIELD is like going round to a friend's house, getting offered a chicken sandwich and getting bread and butter because they might need the chicken for something one day maybe.

Also, Preacher: Book 4 was kind of disappointing. I still enjoyed reading it but it was way too dense with various character backstories. Herr Starr gets one. Arse Face gets one. Jody and TC get one for whatever reason. They were all good in their own right but I want to get on with the main story here.
homeless-john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #1266
BelowTheSun

Arrow honestly has the best hand-to-hand combat scenes I've ever seen on a television show. Just wait until Slade Wilson shows up.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:52 PM   #1267
AnAngrySquirrel

You guys hear the rumour about Jason Momoa being Aquaman in the films? Really weird choice.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:25 PM   #1268
homeless-john
authentic kung fu action

I just have no idea how they make Aquaman work in that universe without it being a complete tonal mess. For what it's worth though, I think Jason Momoa has a decent on screen presence.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:13 AM   #1269
BelowTheSun

I think Aquaman would work if the Atlanteans were the antagonists of the Justice League film. I don't know if they'd want to make Aquaman the 'villain' as such, but it works either way.

They might want to do something like have a coup of sorts happen in Atlantis, and some guy (Black Manta?) raises the Atlantean army to attack the surface, forcing the League to team up and help out, until Aquaman himself breaks free, joins the surface fight, the League defeat Manta (or whoever) and then Arthur calms down the Atlanteans and boom, peace, Justice League formed, Aquaman integrated.

Or you can make Arthur declare war on the surface himself, but I could only see that working if some alien with a bigger plan (Brainiac? Darkseid?) 'tricks' him into thinking the surface are attacking Atlantis, then it plays out pretty much the same - League form, fight, Aquaman shows up, the League are all 'we didn't do shit bro', they realise someone else is the problem and go punch him in the face.

I love speculating on what's gonna happen in these films, but I hate it at the same time because it will never, ever be like that because Goyer, Nolan and Snyder don't have enough respect for the source material to make actually good adaptations like that.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:22 AM   #1270
AnAngrySquirrel

If they went with the whole Atlanteans attacking the land dwellers, they could go with Arthur's brother leading them. There was an arc where that happened in the new 52 a year or two ago.

Aquaman is my favourite hero so as long as they don't make him the comedic effect, I'll be happy.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:37 AM   #1271
homeless-john
authentic kung fu action

If I remember Man of Steel correctly, I'm not even sure they had enough respect to ever properly call him Superman.

Also, found a cheap used copy of Flash Rebirth. Should be here within the next few days!
Old 07-08-2014, 07:47 AM   #1272
AnAngrySquirrel

I think that's what's wrong with the DC films. It's like that they're ashamed that the films are based off of comics. If they just embraced it, they would make much better films.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:15 AM   #1273
theguitarist
I closed your thread.

all this dc/marvel talk

anyway last week or so: read Metabarons complete book in one long 6hr sitting and it was great. Jodorowsky gets a bit deus ex machina at times with the powers and feats of the various metabarons. get the feeling that Moebius was the down to earth one with the Incal, lol. want to read before/after the incal now since it changes the whole story in that
show

also read Masmune's Orion which is even more ridiculously guilty of jumping from over the top deus ex machina event to the next, barely stopping along the way to explain wtf is happening. used to that in one shot mangas though. was fun despite the characters not getting enough attention.

and been getting through the recent Tank girl collections and I don't remember the stories being so all over the place. thought there was a lot more stable plots rather than Hewlett and Martin screwing around all the time. still good though.

O__o

Goodbye and Good Luck
theguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: