Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
Krauser
Ibanez Recommender

NGD! (and a couple questions as well)

So long story short, I picked up a USA-made Ovation 6778 Elite Standard today for $399 in great shape. The only thing on it is a little blemish on the headstock and really light pick scuff that'll come out no problem if I bothered to buff it out. I've just got a couple little questions about it (as a couple things concern/intrigue me about it), but before I ask them, on to some pictures.

Here's the questions I have. There's some fret buzz around the 12th and 13th frets on a few of the strings and after checking the neck, there doesn't seem to be any weird warping or anything but I did notice that there is a slight uneveness on side with the thinner strings and that the portion from the 12th fret upward is slightly higher than the rest. It's very slight, but is it something to worry about? It almost looks warped but it is ever so slight and it appears to be something I can just fix by raising the action (as I'm pretty sure there's no truss rod adjustment on this thing, which is odd). I wish I could get a good picture down the neck, but I can't get one where the fret level is visible. It just kinda looks weird... sort of like a very slight S shape... but very slight. That said, it's enough that it's making the frets buzz at 12. Perhaps I'm overthinking it and I just need to raise the action.

Speaking of action, I know that you raise it by adding shims to the bridge, but I don't actually have any of the shims. Can I just makeshift these things by any chance, or would I need a particular shim?

Also, I couldn't find any prices for the Ovation 6778 Elite Standards besides that of the LX models so I don't know if $400 was a screaming deal or I made a meh purchase. Can anyone confirm what these things should cost on the used market? It's not the LX model, but it is made in America. I think it's just from an earlier time when all the 6778's were American made so the need to designate an AX or LX model wasn't necessary.

All questions aside, I really like this guitar. It plays incredibly well (minus the buzz at the 12th frets), looks awesome, and feels wonderful. It's got a very unique tone and I really enjoy the way it sounds even though some really don't like them that much. All in all, I really like the thing and it's doing its job of getting me away from my electrics so I can focus on acoustic songwriting which I'm getting much more into. Thanks guys!

EDIT: I can return this, so if anything comes off as a red flag (the fret buzz, potential warp, price I paid), I'll return it. I more picked it up because I liked the way it played and felt and figured I'd ask the community how it was as an instrument. The buzzing has me more worried than anything, so if you think it's warped and not worth keeping, let me know!
Peavey 5150 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube

Last edited by Krauser : 07-09-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Krauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

first off, you don't use the truss rod to change the action - you use it to correct the neck relief. i'd wait a few days before doing anything, as your home may be more or less humid than where the guitar just came from, so let it acclimate.

you can raise the action by getting a new nut and saddle and having them fit to your guitar.

your best bet is to take your guitar to a knowledgeable tech or luthier for an inspection. they don't usually charge anything, btw.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
stepchildusmc

that's a great price for a USA made 6778 ! if the truss rod isnt under the cover on the neck( which i see it has no cover), it can be accessed by taking the back cover off. i'd suggest adding a shim or 2 under the saddle first though. the previous owner probably removed all 3. i usually keep at least 1 there. you can make your own shims, just need a thin plastic sheet( can be had at most craft stores..i.e. Micheal's etc.) i've seen cut up thin guitar picks used as well as a milk jug as a donor shim. shims are readily available online.
it should still have LX on it's model # the Ovation fan club has a link to decoding the serial # easily as does Ovation's website.
that's a great deal for that guitar. i've recently released all12 of my Ovations and 1 Adamas. i still have my favorite Adamas though. i miss the O's. i'll probably start picking up a few more here and there soon.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
Krauser
Ibanez Recommender

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake
first off, you don't use the truss rod to change the action - you use it to correct the neck relief. i'd wait a few days before doing anything, as your home may be more or less humid than where the guitar just came from, so let it acclimate.

you can raise the action by getting a new nut and saddle and having them fit to your guitar.

your best bet is to take your guitar to a knowledgeable tech or luthier for an inspection. they don't usually charge anything, btw.

My apologies, I didn't mean to change the action. The neck angle is damn near flat (straight as an arrow) so I was just wondering if giving it a bit of relief would make the difference, but yes, I'm taking it tomorrow to a knowledgable luthier down the road from me to have him look it over. I'm very knowledgable in the field of electrics, but acoustics were never my thing and I'm only now getting into seriously playing and writing acoustic pieces

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc
that's a great price for a USA made 6778 ! if the truss rod isnt under the cover on the neck( which i see it has no cover), it can be accessed by taking the back cover off. i'd suggest adding a shim or 2 under the saddle first though. the previous owner probably removed all 3. i usually keep at least 1 there. you can make your own shims, just need a thin plastic sheet( can be had at most craft stores..i.e. Micheal's etc.) i've seen cut up thin guitar picks used as well as a milk jug as a donor shim. shims are readily available online.
it should still have LX on it's model # the Ovation fan club has a link to decoding the serial # easily as does Ovation's website.
that's a great deal for that guitar. i've recently released all12 of my Ovations and 1 Adamas. i still have my favorite Adamas though. i miss the O's. i'll probably start picking up a few more here and there soon.

I did a little more digging and from the serial code, I found it to be a 1997 model. Also, an Ovation forum that broke down all of the models seems to state that there's a 6778 as well as a 6778 LX model, implying that they're different, but all I can tell is that the LX models are newer. It doesn't say anywhere on mine that it's an LX but it's a '97, so that makes sense. I just can't seem to find any info on what they're worth and the only completed auction on eBay for one put it at 470 bucks.

Last edited by Krauser : 07-09-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:46 PM   #5
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

I'll check my guitar price guide tomorrow and see what it shows.

Edit: Went ahead and checked it tonight for you anyway. My 2012 Vintage Price Guide does not include the Elite Standard model you list - only the Elite Standard 6868.

Last edited by KG6_Steven : 07-09-2013 at 11:51 PM.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:52 PM   #6
Krauser
Ibanez Recommender

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
I'll check my guitar price guide tomorrow and see what it shows.

Edit: Went ahead and checked it tonight for you anyway. My 2012 Vintage Price Guide does not include the Elite Standard model you list - only the Elite Standard 6868.

Gotcha. Thanks for checking man. I'm going to keep looking and see if I can find some definitive info.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:19 AM   #7
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

if the neck is flat and you have some buzz, find the truss rod.

btw, i fell in love with that guitar when it came out - it's awesome
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:56 AM   #8
Krauser
Ibanez Recommender

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake
if the neck is flat and you have some buzz, find the truss rod.

btw, i fell in love with that guitar when it came out - it's awesome

That's the only thing weird to me. It's flat but appears to bump itself up a little more at the 13th fret onward, leaving those higher than the prior, and thusly causing notes at 12 and 13 (and other random ones around there) to fret out and buzz. It's just weird to me that there'd be buzz at only those frets and nowhere else, which would seem to indicate neck warp. Either that or I'm missing something.

But yeah, otherwise it's awesome.

Rate This Thread: