Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
stiklyman
blaqk as nite

Picking hand questions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXS-...eature=youtu.be I have a few questions on my pick hand technique. I am into the fast playing styles and I don't really feel comfortable with picking any way I've tried. I've been playing for nearly 3 years and I've switched up my picking hand too many times for anything good to come up. I'm starting to get frustrated with myself and I'm turning to you lovely fellows here at UG.
stiklyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

When I'm teaching a new student, I show them the proper way to hold a pick. If they later decide not to use what I've shown them, I may let them know if I see it causing a problem. The correct method always seems to work best.

I'd recommend you stop changing your style and use the correct method. The problem is, when you change your technique, you have to adapt to it and you don't give your body/brain a chance to perfect or improve it. Pick one style, hopefully the recommended one, and go with it. Remain positive and upbeat about your playing and don't allow yourself to become frustrated.

Best of luck!
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:39 PM   #3
timothy95

What ever technique you're using in that Paul Gilbert lick video, it seems to be working good for you.
timothy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
B&J

I always recommend using a stone pick, i have said this a million times before but seriously they rock (no pun intended). I have this stone pick which has like... levels, and you just have to hold it properly or you cant play with it. The best way to play anything is to start with a stone pick... imo
B&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:39 AM   #5
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&J
I always recommend using a stone pick, i have said this a million times before but seriously they rock (no pun intended). I have this stone pick which has like... levels, and you just have to hold it properly or you cant play with it. The best way to play anything is to start with a stone pick... imo

I think you're missing the point here, besides the fact that the advice to use a stone pick is purely subjective.

The original question was in regards to technique. All you did was suggest a type of material, not a proper technique. I could be using a pick made out of gold, which has like, levels, and if I don't hold it right there will be issues. You have to address the technique, dude, not the type of material in the picks he's using. Unless... unless, the type of material the pick is made of magically causes you to improve your technique.

To say "the best way to play anything is to start with a stone pick" is, as I already said, highly subjective. Is it the best way to play jazz? Nope. I actually use felt picks for jazz. Is it the best way for someone who like nylon picks? Nope. Is it the best way for someone who likes their strings to last more than a week? Nope. Personally, I think the best way to play anything is to use the proper technique.

Finally, have you really said it a million times? C'mon, really? I'd be willing to bet it's really like 50 or 60, tops.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:25 AM   #6
stiklyman
blaqk as nite

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'll just find something that I really feel comfortable with and I'll try to stick with it.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:42 AM   #7
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiklyman
Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'll just find something that I really feel comfortable with and I'll try to stick with it.

The important thing is not that you feel comfortable now. Watch Freepower's videos on picking and so on and go with the method that seems best and then stick with it.

Nothing about playing guitar is natural; none of it is comfortable to begin with. It becomes comfortable in time as you get used to being in that position a lot. That's really one of the most important things about good technique: everything feels comfortable if you do it enough so you should pick something that's advantageous to begin with and make it habitual rather than just going with what feels most natural to begin with.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:31 AM   #8
Zoomyrs1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
When I'm teaching a new student, I show them the proper way to hold a pick. If they later decide not to use what I've shown them, I may let them know if I see it causing a problem. The correct method always seems to work best.

I'd recommend you stop changing your style and use the correct method. The problem is, when you change your technique, you have to adapt to it and you don't give your body/brain a chance to perfect or improve it. Pick one style, hopefully the recommended one, and go with it. Remain positive and upbeat about your playing and don't allow yourself to become frustrated.

Best of luck!

All that and you never mentioned how you hold the pick.

I've been trying to get a handle on my right hand here recently and I have a hell of a hard time using a curled grip, somewhere along the line I got used to holding the pick with my index, middle and thumb and leaving my ring and pinky open (as well as anchoring with the pinky). Which isn't working, anymore. So time to re-train that one, only about 19 years of bad habit going on there
Zoomyrs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #9
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Personally, you're anchoring in three places... doesn't that seem a bit restrictive? There's a big difference between just "touching" the guitar and actually exerting pressure, but if your hand is fixed to the guitar in 3 places it's going to create a lot of resistance and tension. You need to touch the bass string to keep them muted but no more contact than that. More detail -

I think the way you're holding the pick looks fine, generally speaking the main issue with picking is that it's really hard. People underestimate how much work it takes to pick well.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
stiklyman
blaqk as nite

Freepower, THANK YOU. When you talked about the overreaction thing, I felt like you were speaking directly to me, haha. Now when I think about it, I liked my 3-point anchoring style because it was restrictive and forced me to make small motions. I'm certainly going to watch your video several more times and really focus on relaxing and getting rid of excess tension.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #11
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomyrs1
All that and you never mentioned how you hold the pick.

I've been trying to get a handle on my right hand here recently and I have a hell of a hard time using a curled grip, somewhere along the line I got used to holding the pick with my index, middle and thumb and leaving my ring and pinky open (as well as anchoring with the pinky). Which isn't working, anymore. So time to re-train that one, only about 19 years of bad habit going on there

You're right. There are enough videos and even previous threads on this site that mention the correct method.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #12
B&J

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
I think you're missing the point here, besides the fact that the advice to use a stone pick is purely subjective.

The original question was in regards to technique. All you did was suggest a type of material, not a proper technique. I could be using a pick made out of gold, which has like, levels, and if I don't hold it right there will be issues. You have to address the technique, dude, not the type of material in the picks he's using. Unless... unless, the type of material the pick is made of magically causes you to improve your technique.

To say "the best way to play anything is to start with a stone pick" is, as I already said, highly subjective. Is it the best way to play jazz? Nope. I actually use felt picks for jazz. Is it the best way for someone who like nylon picks? Nope. Is it the best way for someone who likes their strings to last more than a week? Nope. Personally, I think the best way to play anything is to use the proper technique.

Finally, have you really said it a million times? C'mon, really? I'd be willing to bet it's really like 50 or 60, tops.

Sorry dude but i have to disagree with you, since i have been working with a stone pick, i can work with any pick. The thing basically thought me the technique i needed... I dont know if this works for everyone but it sure did for me
B&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #13
InfiniStudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Nothing about playing guitar is natural; none of it is comfortable to begin with. It becomes comfortable in time as you get used to being in that position a lot. That's really one of the most important things about good technique: everything feels comfortable if you do it enough so you should pick something that's advantageous to begin with and make it habitual rather than just going with what feels most natural to begin with.

+1 Confucious couldn't have said that better. Zaphod Gold right there.

Last edited by InfiniStudent : 01-24-2013 at 12:12 PM.
InfiniStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #14
guitarcello

Man,

Take a look at this web page, maybe it helps you about your questions.

http://www.thewizardofshred.com/ind...ision-and-power
guitarcello is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: