Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
STONESHAKER
UG Fanatic

Inertia (Progressive Rock/Metal) (C4C)

https://soundcloud.com/onelightminute/inertia

EDIT:

now with original intro, better mix, vocal tracks, etc.

Last edited by STONESHAKER : 05-28-2013 at 09:34 PM.
STONESHAKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Sir-Shredalot
Banned

Pretty chaotic. Huge mix of styles that sound crazy together. Cool clean guitar tapping Your solo is very linear ala jazz. Your vocals were flat throughout. You do have a nice guitar touch and nice guitar tone.

Id keep it simpler in general, and get a singer.
Sir-Shredalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
Shawn Zak

Good stuff! Drums definitely need some work, new samples and mixed a little better (kick is pretty inaudable on certain speakers, and snare doesn't stand out).

Talent and songwriting is definitely there, just need to execute it a tiny bit better. Agreed with the vocals, maybe new vocalist as mr shredalot suggested.

Keep it up though I love me some progressive metal/rock, I do similar music, minus vocals.
https://soundcloud.com/shawnzak-1

I'm debating whether vocals are necessary but I don't trust myself as a singer/lyricist
Shawn Zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:42 AM   #4
moostifur

Hey man. I really dig it for the most part. Being a fan of math rock bands like Tera Melos and Mars Volta I can get into it. The guitar parts are really cool; love the energy and chord progressions you have going. The solo on the clean part is cool too. I like how the phrasing goes in and out of triplets.

The only gripe I have are the vocals. Personally, I'd really like to hear this track as just an instrumental. That's just me though; I'm partial to instrumental bands.

If you have a chance check out my band's new EP on my post and tell me what you think. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1591297

Keep on doing what your doing. It's really cool.
moostifur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
STONESHAKER
UG Fanatic

Thanks for the critiques guys. Moostifur I commented directly on your thread, Shawn Zak I commented directly on your SC and followed you. Sir Shredalot, you didn't post a link to a track so I couldn't C4C but if you have one post it and I will gladly.

Yeah, vocals are my newest instrument, so to speak. I've been playing guitar for over a decade now but I have just taught myself how to sing like a few months ago, still improving rapidly. I'm going to keep teaching myself how to sing just like I taught myself how to play guitar and probably re-do all the vocals once my album is done and I've had a year or so to practice singing.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
naybnbyuwn

Love the classic Metallica feel of the intro (to live is to die-ish).
Overall, the composition is very complex and well done, but i find it a bit disjointed, expecially your transitions (e.g. 3:05)- maybe do a "proper" transition where you lead into it melodically or something rather than just fading one out and fading the other in.
Vocals reminded me a lot of the good old grunge days- sounds a bit strange (not bad though, just new and unique i guess) with progressive / math rock but its a good concept and i'm sure that it'd grow on me.
Clarity and mixing is really good, although i'm not a fan of the guitar tone (i'd probably make it a bit brighter and with a tiny bit more distortion).
Overall, solid piece of work!

C4C? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1594949
naybnbyuwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
Jehannum
Registered Abuser

Pretty refreshing sound. Not reminding me of anything else. Rhythmic and stylistic variety maintains interest throughout, yet there's a consistent overall vibe. I like the arpeggios in all their forms, particularly the wild, dissonant ones. Good, moody outro. Was the lead improvised?

Vocals are too low in the mix and compete for frequencies with the guitars somewhat. Voice could do with a little more compression; it's improved considerably at 3:00 by the harmonisation.

C4C? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1595609
Jehannum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
STONESHAKER
UG Fanatic

Well, the first transition I was going for a really jarring one. The idea with the riff that alternates between F#5 and F# b2 was "alarm clock". As for the outro solo, nope, wasn't improvised, I sat down and composed it.

I am going to continue to teach myself how to sing simply because writing the lyrics is big for me and I feel like if I have someone sing, other people won't use my lyrics.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:23 AM   #9
mattmakaha

Wow, really good drum programming to me, what did you use--software? I'm old school with a Boss DR770 drum machine.

For some reason, in the intro I was kinda reminded of the beginning of Metallica's "One"
Not the chord progression, but just the vibe. Of course that changes at 0:59

Caught me a little off guard, in a good way, at about 01:26 with that kinda electronica effect there. That was cool. At first I thought it was a synth part there, but that's a guitar right?
I like the clean guitar outro at the end.

Overall, it's a good balanced mix. Solid guitar playing. I think your voice fits this song pretty well.
Could you go to my thread and leave a comment there:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1594336

Last edited by mattmakaha : 04-03-2013 at 12:26 AM.
mattmakaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #10
STONESHAKER
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmakaha
Wow, really good drum programming to me, what did you use--software? I'm old school with a Boss DR770 drum machine.

Caught me a little off guard, in a good way, at about 01:26 with that kinda electronica effect there. That was cool. At first I thought it was a synth part there, but that's a guitar right?
I like the clean guitar outro at the end.

Nope, it's a clean guitar with a stereo delay effect and lots of feedback. What I'm doing is making a barre chord with my left hand, then tapping and pulling off from a fourth higher than the fretted note on each string. I can't remember who I got this technique from but I'd wager it was someone from the 80's.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #11
GuerillaGorilla

Really digging it, you do a good job keeping things interesting and writing two distinct guitar parts. Not much I can say that hasn't been said by the others here, but you might want to mess around with your snare to make it fuller (maybe more low end?). Your vocals complimented the prog style of the song well and your tapping parts are really good.

Keep at it, you have a really unique style!
GuerillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:05 PM   #12
DaveMindframe

Great playing dude! I definitely like me some prog!

Though the mix needs some work in my opinion. Especially the drums sound really stale and unnatural, no big deal though.

Are these your vocals? If you ever want to do something like a collab (vocals or guitar), let me know!
DaveMindframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
STONESHAKER
UG Fanatic

Thanks for the feedback guys, and yes, those are my vocals. I am open to collaboration, but I want to discover myself as a musician and songwriter by finishing my first album first, which I am hoping to have pre-production demos complete for by August or September, so any time after that. Who knows though, I might change my mind before then.

RE: the drums though, I am pretty new to using superior drummer. Anyone have any tips for me as far as getting them sounding better? I'm using the Metal Heads expansion.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:39 AM   #14
DaveMindframe

Try combining just the metalheads snare and the bass drum with the avatar kit using x-drums (thatīs how I do it). As far as mixing goes, check out youtube tutorials, there's loads of them around.
DaveMindframe is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: