Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #21
Guy_Mitchell
Terminally Salty

I have a Warmoth with a recessed Wilkinson and an LSR roller nut with locking tuners.

Stays in tune like a dream. Can't use it for extreme trem action, but it stays in tune better than my JP BFR, which used to have the best tuning stability for non locking trems in my book.

I think if I put an LSR on the JP, that'd be hilariously stable.
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Guy_Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:54 PM   #22
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I'm not sure if I overlooked this or not, but why exactly do you not want a locking nut?

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:51 AM   #23
dazza027
Serial Pain in the Arse

Any Fender style trem can be set to float. There are numerous videos on Youtube showing how to accomplish it. Pretty easy mod, I did it to my Jackson but found that the trem arm needed to be bent outwards a tad to allow dive bombs etc (will also get the router out and recess into the body to allow the trem block to move further). Most important thing to do is to get the string tension equal with the springs and keep the nut and saddles lubed to allow settling of the strings after a wham which will help it stay in tune...
Ibanez Artcore AS73 TBS
Squire 20th Anniversary Strat
Fender Princeton Chorus
Digitech RP255 multi fx
DSL100H coming soon
dazza027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:45 PM   #24
Fumble fingers

All G&L's American or Tribute series have Leo Fenders patent DF are floating tremolo and have no locking nut , the DF stands for dual fulcrum ..... very nice controllable trem
Fumble fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:49 PM   #25
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

I had a strat+ that came with locking tuners. Relatively stable tuning, but you have to wrap the strings on the post perfectly for this to work. No overlaps, and the right amount of winds to take it near the bottom of the post.
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:28 PM   #26
bchampion96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
I'm not sure if I overlooked this or not, but why exactly do you not want a locking nut?

I tend to hop around string gauges quite often. I just don't want the extra hassle when it comes to changing strings. That's why I'd prefer no floyd rose as you have to (with some of them) clip strings as well and use allen keys all over the place.
bchampion96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:08 PM   #27
monwobobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchampion96
I tend to hop around string gauges quite often. I just don't want the extra hassle when it comes to changing strings. That's why I'd prefer no floyd rose as you have to (with some of them) clip strings as well and use allen keys all over the place.

ummm... if you change string gauges then you'd have to reset up the trem for floating. this is a downside of any trem set to float. you need to retain the same string tension for it to float regardless. I have 1 of my strats set to float and it does work well as long as it doesn't bind at nut. as for pull up without rear routing you are fairly limited. of course you can bend a note up then pull on trem to more of a scream (takes a little practice but Uli Roth (Scorpions) used that method and it sounded cool.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:50 PM   #28
bchampion96

Quote:
Originally Posted by monwobobbo
ummm... if you change string gauges then you'd have to reset up the trem for floating. this is a downside of any trem set to float. you need to retain the same string tension for it to float regardless. I have 1 of my strats set to float and it does work well as long as it doesn't bind at nut. as for pull up without rear routing you are fairly limited. of course you can bend a note up then pull on trem to more of a scream (takes a little practice but Uli Roth (Scorpions) used that method and it sounded cool.

I realise that a full bridge re-setup is needed, but the locking but is another obstacle that I'd prefer not to have. I also change tunings a lot and it'sa hassle (or so I've been told) with fine tuners. Locking tuners and a tremolno should make that a lot easier.
bchampion96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:29 PM   #29
monwobobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchampion96
I realise that a full bridge re-setup is needed, but the locking but is another obstacle that I'd prefer not to have. I also change tunings a lot and it'sa hassle (or so I've been told) with fine tuners. Locking tuners and a tremolno should make that a lot easier.

not really you would still have to rebalance the bridge for each tuning. I have a roller nut and locking tuners on one of my strats and that changes nothing in terms of rebalancing the bridge for any changes. as I said this is a downside to floating bridges locking or not.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: