User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #21
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
That would be predicated on whether the theory was applied at the time the song was written, or at the time (now), when theory is being used to dissect it, now wouldn't it?

Because this forum has the potential of making mountains out of molehills. Let's say for example, we decide to analyze a I, IV, V song. We heck we could dredge up musical history over the ages, and trace the lineage of I, IV, V. We could examine the relevance to the well emotional being of the listener, because of the return to the tonic. We could say the I, IV, V is a microcosm of the circle of life in a dust to dusty G major sense.....(yadda, yadda, yadda)......

That doesn't mean shit. It's like saying just because one doesn't think about the law of gravity it isn't in effect. Bullshit my man.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:15 PM   #22
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
That doesn't mean shit. It's like saying just because one doesn't think about the law of gravity it isn't in effect. Bullshit my man.
Reba McEntire was on the CMA Awards Show, and said something to the effect that country music is, "three chords and the truth". So really I don't think that writing a I, IV, V song really requiires an open textbook on music theory, or a dozen experts from UG in a circle jerk dissecting it. Or for that matter, a great deal of premeditation and theoretical contemplation in figuring out "what the resolution will be, or should". It's more along the line of instinctive reaction to musical cultural influences. So back at ya.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 04-28-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #23
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Quote:
Reba McEntire was on the CMA Awards Show, and said something to the effecet that country music is, "three chords and the truth". So really I don't think that writing a I, IV, V song really requiires an open textbook on music theory, or a dozen experts from UG in a circle jerk dissecting it. Or for that matter, a great deal of premeditation and theoretical contemplation in figuring out "what the resolution wil be". It's more along the line of instinctive reaction to musical cultural influences. So back at ya.

My original post was commenting on the fact that MissingSomething said that the song has no theory. That doesn't make any sense.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #24
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
My original post was commenting on the fact that MissingSomething said that the song has no theory. That doesn't make any sense.
I'm kinda thinking he didn't really articulate that post in coincidence to what he meant....or was thinging....Benefit of the doubt, and all that.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #25
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Quote:
I'm kinda thinking he didn't really articulate that post in coincidence to what he meant....or was thinging....Benefit of the doubt, and all that.

Oh ok. Makes sense.

Rate This Thread: