Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
TheWizard33

Does everyone experience this?

I've been playing now for five or so years. I play acoustic, I had an electric for a short while and I'm about to get another. I mainly play he's, rock and roll but also play country and bluegrass. Sometimes I feel like I'm ok at playing but most of the time at feel like I'm horrible even after five years. Do a lot guitarist that have been playing a while feel this way. It's hard to explain really. I guess I just want to be the best and can't seem to get there.
TheWizard33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

I certainly have moments where I think I'm terrible and wonder just exactly what my hands are doing... it doesn't tend to last very long.

You need to try and have some kind of perspective about these things though, try this: flip the guitar over and try playing left-handed (or right handed if you're already a southpaw), just for a tiny amount of time, you don't even need to do this for a minute. Then realise: this is how you were when you started playing. That is how much progress you have made. I don't do this very often but I have done it on occasion just to remind myself of how much I really have improved when all is said and done.

Also: you probably never will be the best, those spots are all already taken and even if you do manage to get there... you won't be the one who decides that you did; focus on trying to make sounds you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizard33
I've been playing now for five or so years. I play acoustic, I had an electric for a short while and I'm about to get another. I mainly play he's, rock and roll but also play country and bluegrass. Sometimes I feel like I'm ok at playing but most of the time at feel like I'm horrible even after five years. Do a lot guitarist that have been playing a while feel this way. It's hard to explain really. I guess I just want to be the best and can't seem to get there.

I've been playing for about 3 years, practicing almost every day for hours because I love playing guitar and everything related to guitar. Still my playing sucks, I guess you'll get used to it.
Also, my father has told me a long time ago that "...if you want to be very good at something, you have to do it for circa 10 years. That is the line of mastery." and I think he had a point there.

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
Chris Janson

I've been playing for 42 years and I still feel like that sometimes. Some days, nothing seems to go right, so don't panic, we all get it.
Chris Janson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
sdbukowski66

I've been playing for about 14 years, and I felt that way for about the first 8-10 years. I still have days where my playing is just horrible. The one thing I would recommend if you haven't done this yet is to start playing with other musicians, preferably ones that are better than you. I noticed when i first joined a band, within a few months my playing had improved by leaps and bounds. Don't give up! You will get to a point where you are happy and confident with your playing, that's when it gets really fun!
sdbukowski66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
AmirT

Lay your guitar down for a week.
Then pick it up and play, sometimes NOT playing your guitar enhance the skill. Really.

It's like your hands are getting enough of it.
AmirT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Some good advice here. It's something that affects all of us. It even affects the pros. The thing is, not to give up, but to keep working at improving your playing.

Not sure about the 10 year rule, but I have heard that experts determined it takes 10,000 hours to achieve mastery of an instrument. I believe it.

Playing with others is the key to getting better. It's one thing to sit in your bedroom, playing along with recordings and backing tracks, but another thing to get out there with a group of other musicians and create some magic. That's where you begin to grow and learn. My lead playing has improved quite a bit, since hooking up with a group.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
sjones
UG's Analrapist

Your issue is certainly not out of the ordinary. I'm sure all of us experience the same feeling at some point.

One aspect of playing guitar that you don't necessarily hear about much is the mental aspect of playing the instrument. Your confidence and mood can impact your playing greatly. There are times when I'm just in a terrible mood, or maybe I'm having "one of those days" where I'm just lacking in confidence and I feel like my playing suffers a bit as a result.

In my experience, if you feel this way while playing (after giving it some time to see if "warming up" remedies the issue) it's sometimes for the best that you just put the guitar down and walk away for a few hours and get your mind on something else. I've found this approach works for me, as generally when I pick the guitar back up, I'm in a better mood and feel more comfortable playing.

Also, when I'm in the midst of an off day I've noticed that I have a tendency to tense up in my hands and try to "push" my playing too much, the latter of which leads to over-playing that generally sounds pushed and stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
Blicer

every day
Old 07-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #10
TheProtoTYPE
Banned

Everytime I play music for other people that also play guitar. I feel like everything I know is just a collection of showing off. In retrospect I absolutely suck at music and everything about it.
TheProtoTYPE is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: