Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
sweetdude3000

Need advice on a strat

I love the look, feel and tone of these guitars.. Only problem there are many different strats and I don't know much about the particular nuances of all of them. I want to get the most for my buck and most importantly don't want to run into any unforeseeable problems. I definitely want the vibrato arm on them and I am looking to play a lot of those Gilmour and Albert King big bends. Roadhouse, Deluxe Player, 60s reissue... so many different types and not sure what, if any noticable difference it makes between them. dget would be up to $1k
sweetdude3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
dannyalcatraz

Are you thinking Fender only, or are you open to Strats from other guitar makers?

New or used?

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ +1

if you want big bends, you could probably discount the ones with vintage (7.25") radius. I can do whole tone bends fine on them, but anything much more is iffy unless you raise the action quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
sweetdude3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Are you thinking Fender only, or are you open to Strats from other guitar makers?

New or used?

Open to anything.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
dannyalcatraz

I have nothing against Fender, but I can't reccomend them- I haven't found one that feels right in my hands. That is entirely subjective- they really are good guitars otherwise.

In terms of quality & bang for your buck, a used G&L USA Legacy, Godin Session or Progression, or Fernandes Retrorocketor Revolver Classic would all be winners, but with Dave's insight, those may not be suitable. I think they all have 12" or 14" radii.

You might also check out Fret-King, though. I got a Blue Label Super 60HB earlier this year and love it. The only knock on it IMHO is that its a pain to attach the trem arm for the Wilkinson. Can't speak to its specs in terms of radius, though.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 07-22-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ oh no they'd be fine. anything much over 7.25" radius should be fine for bigger bends. ~9.5" (like on the modern spec fenders) and up should be ok. I think the fret kings are 10", but don't quote me on that.

Quote:

Old 07-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
sweetdude3000

Cool cool! So ~9.5" radius

Can you get a trem for these G&L USA Legacy, Godin Session or Progression, or Fernandes Retrorocketor Revolver Classic ? They stay in tune ok? Are these better build than the Fender?

I looked at Fret-King but it seems they are in the UK.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ yeah i think all of those ones have a trem (or the option for a trem). I dunno about staying in tune, I haven't really tried them.

And yeah fretking will be hard to come by outside the UK. No worries.

Quote:

Old 07-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #9
kurt_cobain9
UG's Favorite Creeper

I recommend locking tuners. not only will they help with tuning stability while using the trem, when you break a string, re stringing is fast and simple. I also recommend trying a brass tremolo block.

You can't really go wrong with your standard alder body. maple fretboard vs rosewood is kind of a personal choice. I like rosewood necks, but I also love glossed maple necks. I think 9.5" radius would be pretty good for you. new pickups in the future wouldn't hurt if you go the way of a MIM fender standard. Those are all ceramic mags. Not that there are anything wrong with them, they just all kinda have the same feel and vibe after a while.

IMHO, the greatest thing about a strat is that they can be modified to your personal tastes and liking. I'm at the point that I'm never happy with stock, off the shelf strats. I tend to buy my strats as cheap as I can, with the closest features I prefer, then put the time and money into it to make it perfect for me. Get a strat and experiment. You'll eventually get it right. Take notes on other guitars you own that you like. What pickups do you like? What radius? What scale? Size of the fret wire? Etc. eventually, you'll be able to find, or make or mod a strat that is right for you.

kurt_cobain9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdude3000
Can you get a trem for these G&L USA Legacy, Godin Session or Progression, or Fernandes Retrorocketor Revolver Classic ? They stay in tune ok? Are these better build than the Fender?

I looked at Fret-King but it seems they are in the UK.

All of those have trems or have it as an option.

I own a FK- impored from the UK- and have tried the G&Ls and Godins in question. I haven't tried those Fernandes models, but I have tried others (my own Fernandes has no trem). All of those should have decent tuning stability.

They are not necessarily better than the Fender, but may deliver a little better value for your money.

Oh yeah, you might also want to check out Carvin Bolts- another very good Strat type guitar.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 07-24-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #11
sweetdude3000

Cool thanks for all the responses guys!

Rate This Thread: