Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #2901
Magero
Nothing to say, Bats?

Both of the last posts pretty much sum up why I dislike the newie.

On Ritual, the band was clearly trying to expand their riff lexicon with different rhythms and patterns, ideas, etc. On the new album, the only song that even remotely feels like it's "trying" is Every Rope a Noose. Every other track is literally composed of simplified versions of previous BDM riffs. It's uninspired with no life or real "kick". I find myself zoning out while listening to it, because nothing that happens is as groovey or interesting as Ritual or Nocturnal.

Production wise, it's crisp and clean and perfect, I have no idea what DP is talking about. No mud whatsoever. It's basically the same production job as Ritual, tbh.

...that somehow...

somewhere...

...all of this makes sense!

Magero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #2902
NosferatuZodd09
Maiden thread -> Barf

Even though I can see that, I can also tell a lot of the riffs are quite derivative from Nocturnal [in Ritual] and they're up a bit in complexity in Everblack lol. If anything it's the pedal point riffs (sort of the majority of their riffwork in basically all albums) in Ritual that feel incredibly simplified/lazy when juxtaposed with Miasma and Nocturnal :/ same with the tremolos..

I see what you mean by the rhythm part.. but aside of the nifty Den of the Picquerist I'd say it was pretty fail with abortions like Malenchantments lol or On Stirring Seas.. :/ if anything I feel like Everblack's an improved version of Ritual. Although it is missing a standout riff like that fast run in Carbonized haha.

Bottomline is I guess I just find Everblack more interesting musically or guitar-work-wise :S which is why I like the intricacies in Miasma and Nocturnal as opposed to the more incredibly simplified Deflorate and slightly more streamlined Ritual.
NosferatuZodd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:45 PM   #2903
Burning_Angel
Valar Morghulis

I'll be honest, I dont like this band, havent for years. Most of their stuff strikes me as being almost exactly the same with variances in how technical it might be or how annoying the vocalist is. But this really made me lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Pleasures
Of course i know many metallers LOVE muddy recordings. Who the flip knows why.

I havent listened to the whole thing but Magero is right. It's crisp and clean and clear and honestly? It sounds so incredibly processed it sounds fake to me.

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Burning_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:02 AM   #2904
Magero
Nothing to say, Bats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosferatuZodd09
Even though I can see that, I can also tell a lot of the riffs are quite derivative from Nocturnal [in Ritual] and they're up a bit in complexity in Everblack lol. If anything it's the pedal point riffs (sort of the majority of their riffwork in basically all albums) in Ritual that feel incredibly simplified/lazy when juxtaposed with Miasma and Nocturnal :/ same with the tremolos..

I see what you mean by the rhythm part.. but aside of the nifty Den of the Picquerist I'd say it was pretty fail with abortions like Malenchantments lol or On Stirring Seas.. :/ if anything I feel like Everblack's an improved version of Ritual. Although it is missing a standout riff like that fast run in Carbonized haha.

Bottomline is I guess I just find Everblack more interesting musically or guitar-work-wise :S which is why I like the intricacies in Miasma and Nocturnal as opposed to the more incredibly simplified Deflorate and slightly more streamlined Ritual.

Fair enough, I just feel the exact opposite Malenchantments and On Stirring Seas are two of my favourites because of the rhythmic patterns. Totally unlike them, and they pull it off. However, I really do feel that the pedal tone riffs on Everblack are WAY more simplistic than the ones on Ritual. Listen to the At the Gates worship in The Window's verse riff, and then compare it with the first few tracks from Everblack. It literally feels like Everblack should have come out AFTER Deflorate, and before Ritual to me.

But hey, opinions, etc

...that somehow...

somewhere...

Old 06-22-2013, 12:36 AM   #2905
NosferatuZodd09
Maiden thread -> Barf

haha I was thinking about that actually, the first track is actually really simplistic as you mentioned, most of the others do change though and become more complex. it seems on Ritual most of them were like, **** pedal points, all of them will be the open strings.

That's hilarious though, well maybe it's the -core connection, you like your.. chugs and what not, personally I like it when it's.. done better lol. It seemed fairly dull and uninspired, a lot like the intro to Into the Everblack. Except they at least spiced that up with some octaves haha. I noticed on those they also kinda used what I call "cliche" death metal riffing to where it's like OMG LOOK GUISE WE CAN BE DEATH METAL TOO, but it quite isn't? haha.

Check out Map of Scars though that one's probably my favorite haha. I like what they're doing with the sustained arpeggios.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:20 AM   #2906
Dead_Pleasures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magero
. It literally feels like Everblack should have come out AFTER Deflorate, and before Ritual to me.

But hey, opinions, etc

Im with you there definitely.

Still loving the whole album though.I dont mind that the riffs are a bit on the simple side cause as long as its pleasing to the ears im fine with it. Not every riff has to be a hand breaker to be awesome.

My fav song has to be Sepukku.
Dead_Pleasures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #2907
Magero
Nothing to say, Bats?

It's all about the dynamics for me. Those slower tracks give that album a much more even pace, just as Den of the Picquerist helps balance out the "even faster" side. I still love Nocturnal more than anything, but on the whole "Everblack in comparison to their other works" topic, Ritual feels like their most advanced album to me. Everblack does feel a bit like a watered down version, opposed to a refined version, at least to me.

Least it's not a shit album tbh.

...that somehow...

somewhere...

Old 06-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #2908
NosferatuZodd09
Maiden thread -> Barf

Well I think the refinement went into making some of the types of riffs on Ritual more complex. I think the impression from the first track overpowered anything else you heard though tbh. What I noticed is they took away from parts that I found as detrimental in Ritual and added in others that I also saw the same way, as if they tailored it for me to like it better. hahaha.

I don't really see it as advanced in any way beyond "oh look we have more technically able solos now" Because the riffs are that much simpler than Nocturnal. They have more leads now though, albeit some are still fairly simple but effective (The Raven).

I guess I can see what you mean but when it comes to dynamics or changes.. the note movement and the note choice have to be interesting to me, and well in this case, for me, it wasn't lol. I felt like they decided oh hey let's add one of those funky start stop riffs, no don't bother to make it our own. In a way it's like my favorite albums of theirs seem to be more.. dense in some way? where as Ritual feels way thin. lol

Anyway my order's probably like... Nocturnal > Miasma > Everblack > Unhallowed/Ritual

Last edited by NosferatuZodd09 : 06-22-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #2909
Sky Scourge

so what's people's favorite song off Everblack?
Mine is probably RIHBVOT
Sky Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #2910
RiffYourFaceOff
burned and died

Actually I haven't listened to it yet, but I did like the track that Ryan did the demonstration video with. I think I'll listen to it tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghisgandhi
I don't care what my dad says, you metalheads are alright.
RiffYourFaceOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #2911
NosferatuZodd09
Maiden thread -> Barf

Map of Scars, it topped into my top 5 or top 10 TBDM

Rate This Thread: