Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-08-2014, 04:02 AM   #1
disfigured-scum

EMG 18 volt mod gone wrong?

so basically i wired up a my ltd ec-1000 with the 18 volt mod using this diagram.

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums...18VoltMod-1.jpg

first i accidentally wired it to what i think is parallel and no sound came out. i wired the black to black and red to red then joined the two battery harnesses to black and red. then i wired it in series like diagram and i had super low output. so i took the mod out and put back in the standard 9 volt wiring and i still had low output. so i unplugged my battery while still playing through my amp and sounded the exact same without any difference. so even with the battery it still puts out the same output as it does without the battery. i'm thinking maybe i fried something when i wired it wrong? idk no wires seem to have come undone but i'm guessing maybe it has something to do with the battery box/harness. i'd thought i'd ask cause i can't take it to a shop right now.

Last edited by disfigured-scum : 06-08-2014 at 04:41 AM.
disfigured-scum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:12 AM   #2
Invader Jim

I don't suppose you have a multi-meter?
Old 06-08-2014, 05:30 AM   #3
disfigured-scum

I do. what should I be checking with it?
Old 06-08-2014, 03:44 PM   #4
disfigured-scum

I've read that if you reverse the polarity with 18v that it'll fry the pickups, so I'm guessing that's what happened... anybody wanna confirm the bad news?
Old 06-08-2014, 05:10 PM   #5
Explorerbuilder

It shouldnt have burned them out. I have one of my main guitars wired that way, but without the 3rd clip to joint them together. It shouldnt have a negative affect.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Gu...142725369133117
Explorerbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #6
disfigured-scum

just to be clear this is how i intially wired it. then after getting no signal from the guitar at all, i then wired it correctly like the diagram and now regardless if i have a battery plugged in or out it always has the same output as it does as an emg without a battery.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #7
Invader Jim

Make sure the pickups are getting the voltage. Just measure it with a 9v battery hooked up and measure it *at the pins on the bottom*.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:53 PM   #8
disfigured-scum

the pins at the bottom of the pickups? my mult-meter is in a buddy's car so i can't check it at the moment. also, if the pre-amps are in fact fried on the emgs. does anyone think the actual harness (pots, wires, connecters, jack etc.) would still work and that it's just the pu's? cause i actually wanted to donate the emgs from my ltd to another guitar before all this sh*t. if not, oh well i suppose.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:36 AM   #9
Invader Jim

Yes, the pins on the bottom of the pickups. The pots and stuff will be unaffected. I doubt that the pickups are fried; it seems very unlikely that the engineers who designed them wouldn't include polarity protection. Still, it is possible...

Since you don't have a meter at the moment, try wiring the pickups, one at a time, directly to the battery, bypassing the switch, controls, and stereo output jack. Connect the pickups' hot and ground wires to a guitar cable with clip leads or something. Assuming the battery snap is functional, you should get normal operation of the pickups, in which case your output jack was probably wired incorrectly.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:23 AM   #10
sytharnia1560
I hate sanding

Did the batteries get hot?? this happened when I first tried doing the 18v mod but when I did it right it was fine
sytharnia1560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:44 AM   #11
Invader Jim

Oh yeah, if the battery gets hot, then the + and - terminals are shorted together.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:32 PM   #12
disfigured-scum

I don't remember the batteries getting hot or not. but i've got a buddy coming over with his guitar with emgs and hopefully we'll figure it out.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #13
Invader Jim

If the voltage at the battery terminals measures 0v (when the battery is plugged in of course) then the battery is shorting. Fix the problem then use a new battery if possible, as having one short output will drain it very rapidly.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:18 PM   #14
094568029434geo

I saw one guy on ebay is selling a made up kits for 18v emgs (without pickups) that might look handy for people that don't want to mess with their wires.
094568029434geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #15
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

I find this really difficult to get my head around because the 18v mod is just about the easiest mod you could do to a guitar.

(・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:41 PM   #16
Fastmerc

If I read you post and understand it correctly, you originally wired the batteries in parallel (positive to positve and negative to negative) which means you sent 9v's to the p/u's and doubled the amps which should not harm the circuit as the amount of amps needed is determined by the draw of the pickups. So it should have sounded exactly like 1 9v. If you weren't getting any sound something else was wrong.
Fastmerc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: