Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #161
daytripper75
First Sword of Braavos

This may have been avoided if the rest of the world chose to intervene back in 1982 when Assad was rolling through Hama, slaughtering possibly tens of thousands of civilians.

SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE!
daytripper75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #162
gabcd86
isn't French.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytripper75
This may have been avoided if the rest of the world chose to intervene back in 1982 when Assad was rolling through Hama, slaughtering possibly tens of thousands of civilians.

Cold War though, innit.

It's pretty absurd to judge international relations on the basis of morality, tbh. It's cold hard state interest. Occasionally, something low-cost and easy will get done that's pretty cool, but insofar as the state's primary responsibility is to its citizens, it's absurd to expect that they'll expend blood and treasure sending their young men halfway around the world for no tangible benefit.

Also, Iraq and Syria really aren't very analogous. In fact, no two interventions are alike enough to make them worth comparing, so I don't know why this thread has descended into Iraq, apart from the usual oh so controversial "We supported the Iraq war" posters.

"En una revolucion, se triunfa o se muere, si es verdadera." ~Ernesto "Che" Guevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeb rocks
I guess that does technically make you the Che to my Fidel if it makes you feel better

UG Amplified
gabcd86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #163
Carnivean
UG Board King

Exactly, no tangible benefit, no intervention. That said, there are benefits to intervening in Syria, I think it's just a matter of how reliable/certain those benefits are, as well as much they outweigh possible risks.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #164
gabcd86
isn't French.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivean
Exactly, no tangible benefit, no intervention. That said, there are benefits to intervening in Syria, I think it's just a matter of how reliable/certain those benefits are, as well as much they outweigh possible risks.

Yeah, so much depends on the opposition, I think. If they become a coherent, credible force, then maybe there's something for outside intervention to support, and at that point, the West especially has lots to gain from getting rid of Assad. But I don't think they'd be too keen on helping any sort of Islamic groups take power over a country bordering Israel.

"En una revolucion, se triunfa o se muere, si es verdadera." ~Ernesto "Che" Guevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeb rocks
I guess that does technically make you the Che to my Fidel if it makes you feel better

UG Amplified
gabcd86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #165
TunerAddict
UG Freak

The key to success for the rebels in Syria is elite defection.
TunerAddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: