Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
michaelgroves

Caged System

Hey guys,

I'm currently learning scales by using the caged system, I just read an article on UG and it said there that you should not not learn the caged system because it places a huge number of restrictions on your ability to freely use scales in music.

What do you guys recommend me to learn? Is it true that the caged system teaches you some easy scales but not something you can use in the long run? English is not my native language so sorry if I made any mistakes.

Thanks,
Michael
michaelgroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
HotspurJr

I like the caged system a lot.

I think it's a great way to learn your way around the fretboard. Like a lot of structured systems, you may eventually outgrow it, but I think somebody saying you shouldn't learn it probably doesn't understand pedagogy very well.

Wanna link to the article in question?
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
I like the caged system a lot.

I try to distance myself from the caged system now. However, it was the first thing I learned along with the notes on the fretboard, and I have to say that it's not a bad first step. It's easy to understand and can make understanding other things easier, later on.
CryogenicHusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr

I'm not well versed in the CAGED system, but from the diagrams I've seen online it seems like a really handy way to apply open position chords to the rest of the neck. Seems like it would be good knowledge to have if you want to connect arrpegio shapes together like a lot of metal leads do.

The thing about it(along with box shapes) is that like Hotspur said, you eventually outgrow them, and if you don't recognize that fact then you will probably begin to lean on them as a crutch. Something to always keep in mind.

Edit: ^^I think this is the one he's referring to Hotspur.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/less... n_guitar.html
Enginere

I'm Good at Math

Last edited by J-Dawg158 : 11-28-2012 at 04:19 PM.
J-Dawg158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
michaelgroves

Yeah, thats the one. So what I make up from you guys is to just learn the Caged system for now. Thanks voor the advice.
michaelgroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
guitarcello

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelgroves
... I just read an article on UG and it said there that you should not not learn the caged system because it places a huge number of restrictions on your ability to freely use scales in music...
Hi Michael,

Well man, I have to disagree with this article, for me the CAGED system is almost a way of musical life, it opens lots of possibilities to think about the guitar neck.

It is so serious that in my country we have a famous guitar teacher calls Mozart Mello who has a entire book about this subject, in that he teaches us almost everything about the CAGED system and nusic. You can check it out at http://www.aprendamusica.com.br/Dow...arra_Fusion.zip unfortunately it is in brazilian portuguese, but you can see all the tabs and understand what I mean.

have a good reading.

cheers
guitarcello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
cdgraves

CAGED is just some moveable shapes. Very basic stuff. Once you've got your diatonic chords and scales up and down the neck it's time to move past shape-based concepts.

It's good because as you learn/write more complex music you'll always be able to "dumb it down" to the basic triads and scales.

Last edited by cdgraves : 01-29-2013 at 10:34 AM.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:28 AM   #8
20Tigers

I also like the CAGED system. If studied correctly it should show you
+Where to find any given major triad in five different places across the fretboard.
+The full major scale in any key across the entire fretboard (inclding where each scale degree is located)
+The notes of the fretboard.
These three things are quite valuable. Combined with a bit of knowledge regarding music theory such as chord construction etc it is provides fretboard freedom.

The goal of course is to learn the fretboard. This system simply breaks it down into five maneagable overlapping chunks.

It is not restrictive. It is a useful learning tool.

Best of Luck to you.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:48 AM   #9
bondmorkret

I don't use it much. I try to visualise all the roots, then see small one octave patterns coming from each root. Entire fretboard covered in one
Old 01-30-2013, 05:58 AM   #10
20Tigers

that sounds similar, in some ways, to the caged system..

Caged starts with visualize the roots across the fretboard. Next step add the third and fifth to get major chord shapes/arpeggios, Recognize similarity with open chord shape, then fill in the remaining scale degrees.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
guitarcello

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondmorkret
I don't use it much. I try to visualise all the roots, then see small one octave patterns coming from each root. Entire fretboard covered in one

Yes, man...

that's ok see the fretboard in octaves of the root and take patterns from this but if you think better you'll see that it is really possible to do this inside the CAGED system and better, in any mode of the main scale, just memorizing five, nothing else than five simple shapes and, of course, knowing some music theory.

Everything comes very fast into our minds after a little bit of practice

Think about

Last edited by guitarcello : 01-30-2013 at 08:56 AM.
guitarcello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #12
ouchies
UG's OG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Tigers
that sounds similar, in some ways, to the caged system..

Caged starts with visualize the roots across the fretboard. Next step add the third and fifth to get major chord shapes/arpeggios, Recognize similarity with open chord shape, then fill in the remaining scale degrees.

yeee
Old 01-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #13
Vlasco
Turn of the century man!

It creeps more and more into my teaching method as time goes on. I don't use all of it but it's useful in a lot of ways.
Vlasco is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: