Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-18-2014, 03:20 PM   #6861
abyssspecter
worlds biggest ego

please, Jim, teach me your ways.

Is that resistor going to go through the hot, or the ground?

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
abyssspecter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:49 AM   #6862
Invader Jim
Jim'll fix it.

Technically it doesn't matter but conventionally it would be in the hot side so that goes: hot wire->resistor->EL strip->neutral wire.

As for the math, it's just Ohm's Law and Watt's Law. Here is a PIRE wheel:

It tells you all the combinations of Ohm's and Watt's Law equations. Note that the pic uses W instead of P for the power terms. Most people use P so I will as well.

We know that the thing uses 100v and 0.5W at most and we need to know its resistance and current to be able to figure the series limiting resistor. Looking at the R quadrant we see that R=E^2/P. The square of 100 is 10,000. 10,000/0.5=20,000. So the EL strip has a resistance of 20k ohms.

To find the current draw, we look at the I quadrant and see that I=E/R. 100/20,000=0.005A or 5ma.

If you draw a series circuit of two resistors across a 120v supply and fill in all the known values for the resistors it helps a ton. Unfortunately I can't do that here so I'll make a list. R1 is the EL strip and R2 is the limiting resistor.

R1:
I=0.005A
R=20,000 ohms
E=100v
P=0.5W

R2:
I=0.005A (only one current can flow in a series circuit)
R=???
E=20v (the supply is 120v and 100 of that is already used by the EL strip)
P=???

Now we need to find the resistance of and power dissipated by the limiting resistor R2. Since we know the voltage and current already we look at the R quadrant and find that R=E/I. 20/0.005=4000 ohms. 3900 is the nearest standard or you could use 4200 for a bit of an extra safety margin.

Looking at the P quadrant tells us that P=I*E so 0.005*20=0.1W or 100mW. You should always try to use at least double the calculated wattage so a standard 0.25W resistor is plenty.

Make sense?
I can't imagine a hand made Russian spec Big Muff would be that desirable. Maybe I'll just use both and crush people with my epic russian gain penis.
Invader Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:36 AM   #6863
Izvire

Hi,

if anyone could tell me ever part I need to completely rewire my Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013, I'd be more than grateful.

Basically I want to get rid of the PCB design, and install 50's wiring. Preferably something similar to Slash's setup (I know..).

Only got the single wire pickups so I just need what? Pots, caps and what else?

I plan on doing the work myself this time, so I just need help ordering the replacements.

EDIT:

Would this set do?

http://www.thomann.de/fi/montreux_8...iring_kit_3.htm

I currently have the push-pull knobs but I don't use them since I don't plan on using push/pull pickups.

Last edited by Izvire : 04-19-2014 at 05:40 AM.
Izvire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:16 AM   #6864
Invader Jim
Jim'll fix it.

That set will do but you'll be wasting your money on those audiophile tone caps. Plain old film or ceramic is a lot cheaper and will sound exactly the same. You'll save a crap load of money if you order the parts yourself rather than buying a kit like that. Their price is crazy.
I can't imagine a hand made Russian spec Big Muff would be that desirable. Maybe I'll just use both and crush people with my epic russian gain penis.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:50 PM   #6865
abyssspecter
worlds biggest ego

Yea, it makes sense. I really appreciate the detailed explination. Now, all theres left to do is make flashy lights happen.

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:04 PM   #6866
-dbv-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izvire

Would this set do?

http://www.thomann.de/fi/montreux_8...iring_kit_3.htm

I currently have the push-pull knobs but I don't use them since I don't plan on using push/pull pickups.

69 for parts worth max. 10. . Take a look at ebay, you'll find 500k potis for ~1 each. The other parts are very low cost too.
-dbv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:54 PM   #6867
Invader Jim
Jim'll fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abyssspecter
Yea, it makes sense. I really appreciate the detailed explination. Now, all theres left to do is make flashy lights happen.

Good luck. Let me know how it goes.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:04 AM   #6868
abyssspecter
worlds biggest ego

i do know I'm returning the one i have for a shorter one. i don't need 3 meters, and god forbid i try to shorten the wire myself.

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:52 AM   #6869
Invader Jim
Jim'll fix it.

If you're returning it anyway try to find one that can work with straight 120v ac or smt easy to work with...
Old 04-20-2014, 01:53 PM   #6870
abyssspecter
worlds biggest ego

from what I've read, the EL wire/strips are the longest lasting with brightest lights. I've considered LED strips, but at a price point of $10, EL wire seems in the lead.

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM   #6871
offspring93
offspring93

Hi, I designed a wiring diagram for my hsh-strat (well currently it is not yet a hsh-strat). To me it looks like everything works but I'm not experienced and I hope some of you experts can tell me if this will work properly.
Besides the positions I am worried about a few things...:
Will there be nasty pop sounds when switching between the positions? Or will there be EMI hum or so because something is not grounded properly? (the electronics cavity is full of shielding foil, so all pot- and switch housings will be grounded nicely) ...I stumbled on this problem in the Ultimate Killswitch Thread..and the coils in my diagram are not completely grounded when not used in some positions..is that ok? I am confused..
Long story short: Can someone please take a detailled look at this wiring diagram?
I also have a thread for this but no replies yet. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...68#post32531068
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...chmentid=111994

Last edited by offspring93 : Yesterday at 06:39 PM.
offspring93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: