Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #61
BirdRiverCustom

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself
This is looking great man. I think you're a bit late to challenge for 100 2012 though

Yeah, i just barely missed the cutoff.

Heres some more updates on the painting.

I wound up having to do three coats, do to the fact that i didnt mix enough dye into the first coat so i went heavy on the paint trying to get it dark enough. This resulted in some bad running on the sides and much forehead slapping. So then i had to sand down the runs and put two additional coats of the smoke burst. I used the StewMac dye, not a solid black, mixed into the lacquer. Heres a shot of it immediately after being sprayed an under a heat lamp bulb. Its black, but looks purple in the light spectrum, which makes me want to recreate that shade of purple. I also sanded through some of the green on the edges. Also forehead slapping worthy, but it will be covered up anyway with the black, so not the end of the world.

Heres an overall shot after the first coat of the smoke burst.

Also, we figured out that it was smarter to spray the sides first, then let it sit for 30 minutes, than do the top and bottom to avoid any runs from the sides getting too saturated.

Now im gonna allow it to set up and then do one final layer of lacquer (bringing the total to 5 (4 on the body, 3 on the smoke burst) and then do the 50/50 lacquer/lacquer thinner top coat.

Heres a crappy shot (some photographer i am) that sort of allows you to see the grain pattern on the back, albeit a little bit fuzzy

To Do:
Top Coat of lacquer
tung oil neck
finish sand and buffing
reassemble electronics
BirdRiverCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #62
BirdRiverCustom

Just a quick update. i purchased some System 3 mirror coat yesterday and plan on doing the application of the epoxy to the fretboard this weekend as well as the final topcoats on the body. I've been traveling a lot and the shop i have access to is a 45 minute drive away so i just haven't been able to get out to work. Hopefully this will be done before the next Build Challenge kicks off. No promises though
Old 10-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #63
BirdRiverCustom

I'm just gonna go ahead and call this my entry into the 2014 challenge

Life happens, but now building happens. I spent saturday doing the top coat of the body and touch up/prep on the neck. I didnt take pictures of the body but needless to say spraying is done, and after the 72 hour cure period i will get to buffing. I need to either get a new buffing arbor or new foam pads for the compound before that can happen.

I sanded the hell out of the fretboard at 800 grit and am basically satisfied with the finish level as is.

The figure shows up really well and the birds eye really pops with a bit of mineral spirits applied. Im using the mirror coat system to finish the surface, just need a blow torch...

Also decided to do a color matched headstock. Heres a coat of green applied. Just need to tighten up the edges slightly.

New goal is to finish this by the end of October, here we go!
Old 10-02-2013, 02:50 AM   #64
N_J_B_B
Nicko.

What sort of radius are you going to put on the board?

Looking good man.

is it still under 100 pounds?

Stay classy, pit.
N_J_B_B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #65
BirdRiverCustom

The neck is all maple and quite light (without the tuners obviously). Ill have to do a total weight before and after hardware once its assembled, but its not too heavy as is. Its lighter than my old Peavey Millennium by a longshot. Fretboard has a 16 inch radius on it

Rate This Thread: