Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-08-2013, 11:26 PM   #21
LeviMan_2001

If you just move it up a bit ( away from the carve) id think itd still balance well.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:12 AM   #22
MG_Sora
UG's Industrial Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
Unfortunately the standard place to put them is a place where the guitar balances perfectly.

Seriously, you have to think a little bit out of the box, it's not like everything ever done is perfectly calculated, you know? Let him try, nothing is written in stone.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:56 AM   #23
DESTROYER5000
Banned

Why not use a strat jack, that's what I'm using simply because where I'm putting will be more out of the way.

Also, what does fanning frets do/accomplish?
DESTROYER5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:23 AM   #24
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviMan_2001
If you just move it up a bit ( away from the carve) id think itd still balance well.

You can see the factory hole for the strap button in one of the pics, it looks pretty out of the way. I'll probably leave it, and if it really bothers me once I play it, I'll install some flushmount strap locks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESTROYER5000
Why not use a strat jack, that's what I'm using simply because where I'm putting will be more out of the way.

Also, what does fanning frets do/accomplish?

Fanned frets accomplish a multiscale. The last string could be one scale, for instance 27", and the first string could be another, like 25.5". This causes more tension for the lower strings. Plus, a fan can be more comfortable, depending on your posture.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #25
Rusty_Chisel

do you need to do anything special when you do the crown and fret leveling? Also, how are you going to determine where the fret slots will go?
Rusty_Chisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #26
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_Chisel
do you need to do anything special when you do the crown and fret leveling? Also, how are you going to determine where the fret slots will go?

Leveling and crowning is the same process. And you can use this to figure out the fret placement.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:46 AM   #27
Phoenix V
Registered MUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Can you recommend a better place for the strap buttons? I might relocate mine, but i have no idea where I'd put them.

Don't locate them until you've finished the lot and everything is in. Where the buttons go now to balance it, will not be where they should be when its finished.

Good going so far. Well done.

My gear is in my Profile

Hondo 780 Deluxe Refurb

Gibson Studio Build
Phoenix V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:28 AM   #28
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Cool stuff. I changed one of my guitars to have a sculpted heel as well.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:50 AM   #29
the tree

Looks great so far .
the tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #30
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Updates aren't very frequent because I have a lot going on. After a lot of sanding, filling, and sealing, I've finally got the finish on the body. Sorry about the quality of the pics, I had to use my cell phone:

It's my first burst finish, and it was a pain in the ass. I'm told that a tobacco burst or other such finish will feel easy now I'm pretty happy with it. It's not perfect, but a helluva lot better than I thought it would turn out. I was going to do the faux white binding like the Gibson has(don't know if there's is real or paint though), but I decided against it when I realized it didn't look good enough to justify the extra headache.

For anyone that's curious, I used Reranch for the silver and Becker's lacquer for the burst and clear.

Next I'll be radiusing the fretboard to a 20" radius, dying it black, and fretting. And I've decided that I'll be winding my own pickups for it, rather than using my EMGs. I bought a rail bobbin, so the bridge pickup will be sorta like a Crunch Lab.

Last edited by W4RP1G : 04-13-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #31
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler

Well it's about time.
Looks pretty good to me.

Paddy von Layzonfon! Founder of The Spell it RELICKED Club
von Layzonfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:46 AM   #32
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Cool.