Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
VelvetBananas

What can I do to improve my singing?

Hey I am new here, and I am also new to singing. I am 15 years old and not 100% tone deaf but there is just something about my voice that just doesn't sound right. Any help is greatly appreciated!! The song I am singing is "After Hours" by the Velvet Underground. Also I recorded this in one take so you can say about my guitar playing (I play guitar much better not singing, and I know I messed up a bit) but I am really just looking for singing help. I am pretty self-conscious about my tone. I don't care 100% about hitting the notes ATM (I'm a jazz guitar player) So what I want most help on. Thanks!!

picosong.com /FfVq/
It is this but take out the space sorry it is a forbidden link
VelvetBananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
LiamG96

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetBananas
I don't care 100% about hitting the notes ATM

if you dont hit the notes it wont sound good ever, and you seem to be more like saying them in a melody instead of fully singing them , if that makes sense, you lack feel and vibrato (Im not a singer so I cant really give you much advice/criticism, sorry brah!)
LiamG96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
Doveri

well first off, your not breathing fully. You have to breath from your upper abs. try fixing that first.
Doveri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
Tyson2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamG96
if you dont hit the notes it wont sound good ever, and you seem to be more like saying them in a melody instead of fully singing them , if that makes sense, you lack feel and vibrato (Im not a singer so I cant really give you much advice/criticism, sorry brah!)

i haven't listened to the recording yet, and i'll comment on this later with a full critique, however this just led me on a tangent

Notes are important, yes, but a missed note is not the end of the world. If you screw up rhythmically, a whole hell of a lot of people are going to notice. If you screw up a note, generally only other musicians and people who know the song are going to notice. People are stupid.
Tyson2011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: