Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-07-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
AEnesidem
controversial since 1993

Blackstar HT series

Hi everyone!

In my last thread i asked for amp suggestions. The amo that stood out to me was the Blackstar HT-50.
The problem is i cant test the amp anywhere. if i buy it, i have to order it from Germany. That is why i'm asking around if any of you have had any experience with these amps.
On youtube they sound pretty good and get positive reviews. Thing is, that was the same case with my valveking and that was a huge dissapointment.

The tone i'm looking for is a bad cat like tone with a nice roar and a good bottom end. I like tight and smooth distortions. Part of my dissapointment with the valveking comes from the fact that it has a very gritty amd messy sound and has a very loose bottom end which is everything i dislike. I'm currently trying to conclude a deal for a PRS guitar so my guitar already has the tone im looking for.

TL;DR: have you guys got experience with these amps? Objectively how is their bottom end and roar?
How tight is their distortion? Do you think i can get the tone i want out of it? (think porcupine tree, tool, karnivool.

Thanks in advance!
AEnesidem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
Robbgnarly

You want Bad Cat tone, get a Bad Cat.

I'm not a fan of the HT series you'll find the same of most members here.

Have you tried a tube and speaker swap on the VK?
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:38 PM   #3
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

The Blackstars sound OK. The problem is is that company lies to get sales and recognition. No thanks. There is enough lying and misrepresentation in this industry as it is.

Maybe you should look at a Marshall DSL or Laney.

The Valveking is pretty loose. I owned one. Once I got an OD pedal, EQ pedal, new speaker and some new tubes it was a great amp. I'm not saying you need to do all of that but at least the VK is an all tube amp and lots of potential.

The second post of this sticky would be very helpful in guiding you.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1588141
Old 11-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
You want Bad Cat tone, get a Bad Cat.

I'm not a fan of the HT series you'll find the same of most members here.

Have you tried a tube and speaker swap on the VK?
This. Especially the last sentence.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Alesis Quadraverb

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:24 AM   #5
AEnesidem
controversial since 1993

If i had the money, i would buy a bad cat. I know i can't get the exact tone of a badcat, that's not what i'm asking for either. But a tone somewhere in that kind of tones.

My valveking has the mesa/jcm mod, a tube swap, 2 celestion V30 speakers and an OD 808 in front of it but i'm still not happy about the sound. On JCM mode it's a lot tighter but it stays too grainy for me. It's true i can get better tones than before and it isn't terribly bad anymore but still i'm looking for something new, more streamlined.

Thanks for the opinions guys, cause the internet always seems to be so over-positive about things. These are the first negative things i read about it.

Other question: I was also looking into buying a Line 6 pod HD pro to put before my amp. I can use the power amp of my valveking to power it, right? Would that be a good idea? or would the messy tone of my valveking still shine through?
Old 11-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
Robbgnarly

I say try the POD into the VK, you can use the 4CM that will let you use the amp and the POD functions which will expand your tonal pallet.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 11-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
AEnesidem
controversial since 1993

Doesn't the 4C method leave your amp as main preamp too? Cause that's the thing, i'd like to use tha amp modelling as well then, because i don't like the tone of my VK. In the demo's i saw, the people used the 4C method to retain the tone of their amp and use the POD as effect-processor.

Or can it be used to remodel your amps too?
I can't seem to find how you'd need to connect your POD HD pro if you want to remodel your amp.

Last edited by AEnesidem : 11-08-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

doesn't badcat have a cheaper, made in china range which thomann stocks? I've never tried them (nor "real" badcats), so that's obviously not a recommendation, but they might be worth a look.

er....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
doesn't badcat have a cheaper, made in china range which thomann stocks? I've never tried them (nor "real" badcats), so that's obviously not a recommendation, but they might be worth a look.

yeah, they are designed by Bat Cat and made by Kustom in China. They actually sound pretty good. Closest to a Bad Cat sound you'll get with out dropping some serious cash
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 11-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #10
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah thomann still seems to have a few in stock.

er....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #11
AEnesidem
controversial since 1993

Thanks guys i'll check it out. Sounds interesting. I did found some interesting amps on the secondhand market though, both for 700 euros: A Hiwat high gain 50 and a Laboga Mr.Hector (apprently the last series that was still handmade). That amp may be too metal for what i want but since it seems to be handmade it's worth checking out.

Well in the end i don't really look for the badcat sound specifically but i really like the tone of porcupine tree. Their distortion is tigh and smooth and has a nice roar to it. That's what i'm looking for. And i realize that's hard to find in a lower price range. If i don't find what i'm looking for i'm probably gonna buy the POD HD pro to update my studio gear in one way and have a decent live tone. With that said. Do any of you guys know how to connect the POD HD pro to your amp if you do want to use amp modeling? I only seem to find the 4 cable method with which you retain the original amp sound.

Edit: damn they seem to all be combo's, i want a head because i have V30's that i want to put in a cab.

Last edited by AEnesidem : 11-08-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #12
Flux'D
Plays a pitchfork

The HT series is pretty much garbage, however their Series One amps are monsters. I got mine through a trade deal and wasn't sure what to expect. After playing both an HT-50 and the 50W S1 I have, it's not even close. Tonally it's a cross between a Recto and a high gain Marshall... think of a modern sounding Marshall with a clear and tight bottom end.
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60
Flux'D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:25 AM   #13
godgrinder

Bad Cat makes a pedal tube preamp which might be worth looking into, you could plug that into the fx return of your VK then that would bypass the preamp of the VK.
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke preamp | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Engl E530 | Krank Rev Jr | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
godgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: