Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
CanadGuitarGirl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
7 week progress (youtube video playing yankee doodle)

Hello

I'm a beginner at playing guitar and new to this forum. I've decided to track my progress on YouTube. I haven't been able to practice regularly, usually am only able to squeeze in about 10 minutes of practice a day.

I just posted my first progress video, 7 weeks in. It helps to watch these videos as I can see how poor my form is and what needs to be fixed. Feel free to throw in some feedback

Thanks!

Here's the link to the clip:
youtube.com /watch?v=ZfSCXcdMYCM
(remove the space after .com!)
CanadGuitarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
Wolfie60
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Well done, keep up the practice and enjoy what you do
Wolfie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
omnilux
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
I may actually have to steal a page from your book and start doing this myself. It's always rewarding and motivating to see yourself making progress, wish I would've thought of video recording my progress sooner.

I'm a beginner myself (early January), although not the same genre of music. Keep it up and the main thing is have fun.

Edit: Thought I'd add what I've read so many other people say before, 10 minutes of practice each day is better than 4 hours once a week. So the more you can pick the guitar up the better.

Last edited by omnilux : 03-25-2013 at 03:17 PM.
omnilux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:01 AM   #4
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast
 
vayne92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
It's very hard for me not to say that this video gave me cancer..

Ummmm yeahhhhh. Keep at it and one day you'll get there
__________________
~My Gear~
Sterling JP60
Ibanez RGT6EXFX
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
bondmorkret
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Cool idea man, don't let people's harsh criticism get you down though, use it to fuel your passion. Keep us posted on your progress!
__________________
Online guitar lessons - Fusion, rock, metal and jazz!
bondmorkret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
CanadGuitarGirl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Thanks guys
CanadGuitarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
robertwilliam9
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadGuitarGirl
Hello

I'm a beginner at playing guitar and new to this forum. I've decided to track my progress on YouTube. I haven't been able to practice regularly, usually am only able to squeeze in about 10 minutes of practice a day.

I just posted my first progress video, 7 weeks in. It helps to watch these videos as I can see how poor my form is and what needs to be fixed. Feel free to throw in some feedback

Thanks!

Here's the link to the clip:
youtube.com /watch?v=ZfSCXcdMYCM
(remove the space after .com!)



The progress tracking is a cool idea. Definitely try to practice daily if you can, and I'd shoot for more like 30 minutes to an hour. Still, anything is good.

Are you getting into any open chords?
__________________
Paul Reed Smith CE-24 2005 and Santana SE with Seymour Duncan pickups.
Line 6 Amplifiers
Boss Effects and Steve Vai's Wah Pedal
Dunlop Picks and Elixir Strings .48


WEBSITE
guitarchalk.com
robertwilliam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
What songs and bands do you like? There's very simple songs that you'll probably like playing a lot more. Make sure your guitar is in tune, get a tuner on your phone. Learn some chords, read up on the position of the notes on the fretboard, how chords are constructed and what the major scale is.

If possible get a Teacher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vayne92
It's very hard for me not to say that this video gave me cancer..

Ummmm yeahhhhh. Keep at it and one day you'll get there


Ignore this troll.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.


Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
Geldin
Registered User
 
Geldin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
What songs and bands do you like? There's very simple songs that you'll probably like playing a lot more. Make sure your guitar is in tune, get a tuner on your phone. Learn some chords, read up on the position of the notes on the fretboard, how chords are constructed and what the major scale is.

If possible get a Teacher.

Good advice that every guitarist should have on a poster in their room.

Quote:
Ignore this troll.

Bad-guitar induced cancer is no joke. I went into my local guitar center and only just got off chemo.
__________________
I have an album. Listen to it.
The Sleeping Fury

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #10
wiggedy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil

If possible get a Teacher.
.


This!

After 34 yrs, I still suck.... should have found a good teacher. The sooner the better.

Tracking your progress is a very good idea, never stop doing it. Soon you will be shredding like Lori Linstruth.


Last edited by wiggedy : 03-26-2013 at 06:16 PM.
wiggedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:53 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.