Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
pursuit

Time to copyright?

This is probably a stupid question because I think I'm 99% sure what the answers going to be, but I'll ask it anyways;

One of the people I work with has a daughter that's in a band with the guitarist from vixen, and has played a lot of shows around NYC including an all girl tribute to the big four, a lot of original shows, etc. Right now shes on tour with Manowar, and my co-worker said that if I bring him a copy of our demo CD he'll give it to his daughter to see if there's anything she can do for us, try to hook us up with anything, or just help us out in general.

Should we copyright our music before we do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfirstpubes
Forreal. Tingle was a baller just trying to make a living. He never gave up on the hustle.
pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
guy_tebache
is not a duck

certain copyright entitlements kick in as soon as you write or record a piece of music and you dont have to do anything else, but its always safest to put the copyright mark on anything you do. That way just about any use of your material has to be run by you first.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
Quintex
Still Learning

Ingacy Jan Paderewski (1860 - 1941)
Quintex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
pursuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintex

Yar I read it first, but that's more generalized I just wanted advice on our specific situation

Quote:
Forreal. Tingle was a baller just trying to make a living. He never gave up on the hustle.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:32 AM   #5
Quintex
Still Learning

You only have to prove Prima Facie of the song either through a dated recording or first public presentation of the work to get copyright or any other provable method.

The United States is part of the Berne Convention so that covers you for most of the world. Keep in mind that statutory damages and attorney's fees are only available to registered works in the United States which is unique in the world.

So yes, to answer your question if you are located in the United States, I would register the copyright before shopping it through third parties. Other countries do not have the registration restrictions (my understanding is under the convention that it is prohibited to require formal registration).

As always I will state that I am not professionally qualified to advise you in this and that this opinion is only based on my experience. Seek professional advice if this is a concern.

Ingacy Jan Paderewski (1860 - 1941)
Quintex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:42 AM   #6
pursuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintex
You only have to prove Prima Facie of the song either through a dated recording or first public presentation of the work to get copyright or any other provable method.

The United States is part of the Berne Convention so that covers you for most of the world. Keep in mind that statutory damages and attorney's fees are only available to registered works in the United States which is unique in the world.

So yes, to answer your question if you are located in the United States, I would register the copyright before shopping it through third parties. Other countries do not have the registration restrictions (my understanding is under the convention that it is prohibited to require formal registration).

As always I will state that I am not professionally qualified to advise you in this and that this opinion is only based on my experience. Seek professional advice if this is a concern.

Very insightful! Grazie my friend I appreciate the advice :)

Quote:

Rate This Thread: