Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #281
SteveHouse
trys hard, loves the game

If you bump this tomorrow evening, Dready, I'll read it. I'm busy tonight and won't remember by tomorrow.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

SteveHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #282
Ahteh
no

Contact is a cool book. I read it when I was like 10 and it blew my mind.
Ahteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #283
fonkeymonkey
Oh so fonkey

Generally very good: interesting and comprehensible. Here are my thoughts on little things that could be improved:

Introduction
Second paragraph
• States the paper explains the 'single question of “how do stars become neutron stars”', then follows up with another two questions.
• Imaginary sliding scale doesn’t give an idea where quark stars are on it, and the sentence could be worded better.

Stellar Evolution
First paragraph
• Third sentence could be worded better, not sure if grammar is correct.
• Final sentence may need ‘average mass stars’ rather than ‘average stars’.

Fourth paragraph
• State that the stellar remnant must be below the Chandrasekhar limit: at the moment, it is ambiguous to whether you are referring to the original star mass or the stellar remnant.
• Say that above (or at) the Chandrasekhar limit, the stellar remnant will collapse into a neutron star, rather than just ‘collapse’.

Degenerate Matter and Quark Stars
Second paragraph
• White dwarfs are electron degenerate, but are not "essentially a giant sphere of matter comprised entirely of electrons", as there are ions in there too. Although the ions may not be degenerate themselves, it is important to state they are there, as otherwise, when the mass increases above the Chandrasekhar limit, the reader may question how electrons turn into neutrons.
Above the Chandrasekhar limit, the inward gravitational force overcomes electron degeneracy pressure, and electrons are captured by protons to form neutrons via inverse beta decay. This creates a neutron star, which is neutron degenerate.

All in all, it was a good read, and provided a neat insight into the more exotic final states of stars.

Last edited by fonkeymonkey : 08-20-2012 at 07:51 PM.
fonkeymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:29 PM   #284
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

^ Very good input, thank you. Like I said, I'm a non-scientist so I am not familiar with atomic level interactions when it comes to exotic stars (or anything, really), so I appreciate that particular piece of information. The degree is a BS in Space Studies, of which only a portion is dedicated to actual space sciences. Other things included are space weaponry, logistics, law, weather, etc.

Last edited by Dreadnought : 08-20-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Dreadnought is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #285
Floods_Solo

space
Floods_Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #286
iHurricaneGTR
Big Gumbo Jones

how was this not bumped like a few hours ago?
so much spacey shit going on today and it just now gets bumped

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFromTheVoid
I smoked weed with my mom once.
It was the weirdest moment of my life, and I`ve been caught with my dick in my hand, by my brother, with a giant close up of a dudes face on the tv.

iHurricaneGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #287
SteveHouse
trys hard, loves the game

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

SteveHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #288
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

Awesome video of coronal rain:

Last edited by Dreadnought : 02-26-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Dreadnought is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #289
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

This place is dead yo.

So yeah, I'm writing a research paper on the Oort cloud (the topic was of my choosing but had to be significantly related to comets, meteors, or asteroids) and I definitely nerded out a bit while reading about its supposed formation. It's also really convenient that the initial paper by Oort describing the cloud was only published in 1950, so I can use it as a primary source.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #290
AllJudasPriest
UG's Loro

Good luck. Sounds like it was a lot of fun to read/write about.

Going to post how you did?
AllJudasPriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #291
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllJudasPriest
Good luck. Sounds like it was a lot of fun to read/write about.

Going to post how you did?

Yeah sure if anyone wants me to. It's not a particularly challenging or long research paper (minimum 6 pages [which I intend to do]) so it's nothing to write home about. The research paper I did on quark stars was longer, around 12 or 13 pages, but it was another topic that I was interested in.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #292
Whoots
Banned

Taking an astronomy course to fulfill some requirements and just ****ing destroyed the midterm.

Go astronomy.
Whoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #293
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoots
Taking an astronomy course to fulfill some requirements and just ****ing destroyed the midterm.

Go astronomy.

Sweet. Space classes are the best
Old 02-14-2014, 10:17 PM   #294
Floods_Solo

Ma niggas get this shit up. I have nothing to contribute but previous posts are amazing. If one person reads this and then looks at the first few pages and develops an interest then mission accomplished.
Floods_Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:38 PM   #295
Seref
Gob****e

Location: Miami, Florida, United States of America, North American Continent, Earth, Terrestrial Planets, Solar System, Local Cluster, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe, Multiverse, Omniverse, Eternity
Necrobumping this shit.

So SpaceX did their first real test of their reusable first stage yesterday (Falcon 9R). They aimed to bring the first stage down under its own power in the Atlantic ocean. They estimated an 80% chance of failure.

The test was a success. First stage touched down in the designated location in the ocean and continued sending nominal telemetry for 8 seconds until system shutdown (automated shutdown when the stage goes horizontal while floating).

This is one of the biggest breakthroughs in launch technology of the last decade. They estimate that a reusable first stage could cut launch costs by 50% or more. They'll start testing solid ground landings later this year or early next year.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #296
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/sept...ml#.VBhpkvldV8F

My guess is that they'll stop the reliance on Russian flights to the ISS and either offer contracts to private companies or outright announce the contract award to SpaceX.

AFAIK, unless there's some super secret stuff, NASA doesn't have the organic capability for LEO human flights (to the ISS), and the SLS/Orion is far from being ready.

Rate This Thread: