User Name  
Password
Search:

Old Today, 08:29 AM   #3201
Shotgunmerc
UG's Scootaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainDamage
His average didn't crack .200 until August last year, finishing at .205, and that's with hitting .290 in August (he didn't play in September due to injury). 2012 was the same...average was .208 through July then he remembered that you actually have to hit the ball occasionally if you want to stay in the majors and put up a respectable .267 over the last two months. Power shows up occasionally, he hit 32 HR in 2012 and he will collect a good amount of walks, but he strikes out a lot too.

Stats aside, everyone was so willing to keep giving this guy a chance but frankly I figured he was a lost cause a while ago based solely on watching his swing. I've seen pitchers put better swings on the ball than him at times.

Hmmmmm. I wonder what the Pirates saw in him then.

I'm willing to wait and see on this, it doesn't sound like we paid THAT much for him and we've had other players come here via trade and play well recently, so I'll be cautiously optimistic about this one.
This is my Rubik's cube, I know I can figure it out...."
Shotgunmerc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:39 AM   #3202
Ticket48
-Thread Killer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgunmerc

I'm willing to wait and see on this, it doesn't sound like we paid THAT much for him and we've had other players come here via trade and play well recently, so I'll be cautiously optimistic about this one.

They probably saw his earlier form. When he could put a ball in the second deck with one hand on the bat. He had pretty good power. Then he hurt his foot and never really hit as well. I still remember that giant boot cast thing he had that apparently ended up hurting his foot more. It was a weird situation. The Mets have a history of letting players go that go on to have some pretty good season. Sometimes it's just a change of scenery. Plus, I bet Ike was frustrated with his own performance and made things worse for himself. Maybe he can calm down now.

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
Ticket48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:23 AM   #3203
alaskan_ninja
UG Fanatic

Quote:

He's also always been an above-average hitter against righties, even last year, but has been absolute shit against lefties. The Pirates are going to platoon him with Gaby Sanchez so he will probably provide value there.

e-married to vintage x metal, who makes helen of troy look like helen, my grandmother
alaskan_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:27 AM   #3204
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

Quote:

My guess is platoon with Gaby Sanchez. Davis hits RHP considerably better than LHP (career .256/.357/.471 vs. .202/.267/.331) and Sanchez seems to be the opposite. I hope Davis proves my initial comments wrong though, he was always a good clubhouse guy and showed flashes here and there of being a good player. Maybe getting out of NYC will serve him well.

EDIT: alaskan_ninja beat me to the point
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
BrainDamage is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: