Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
ethan_09

Will this hold some one back from letting me join a band?

I found a guys post on craigslist about wanting to start a band in my area in the same type of music Ive been wanting to for a while now. He has a drummer, guitarist and singer already. I texted him and he asked me how long I have been playing and I told him several years, but I had never been in a band before.
Is that a turn off, I guess you would say, when somebody is looking for someone to join a band. like what that make him less likely to wanna jam with me.
I'm a pretty solid guitar player from what I've heard from others who I've jammed with, but I was wondering if the fact that I've never been in a band will hold some one back from letting me join.
ethan_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
gorkyporky
I like pie.

It wouldn't be a turn off for me. As long as you can play i don't see what a problem would be. Just make sure you get to the jam verry well prepared. There is nothing that turns me away from a potential band member than a guy that comes and say "Yeah, i only learned the first 2 riffs..."
Old 05-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
accadacca97

I doubt, everyone has to start somewhere. And most people will have played along to songs, and that's not a million miles away from playing with a band
accadacca97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
mjones1992

depends on the guy. Some people I've known have been sticklers about how much live experience someone has, but it's FAR less important than actual experience on an instrument.

I would say be proactive about it. If you really want to join this band, then set up a tryout/jam date with this guy to see if he likes your style of play. Don't be overbearing, but press him to try out. You may get a place in the band based on the fact that you're taking the fact that you want to be in this band seriously. go for it!
mjones1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

I would say it's more about your being able to perform, than the fact that you've not been in a band before. As long as you can play well, I would say most bands would overlook the fact that you've never been in a band.

The only other thing you need to think about is band practice vs. performing at a gig. It's one thing to practice with the boys, but an entirely different thing to perform in front of the crowd. As long as you can keep your nerves in check, you'll do well. Seasoned performers have gotten the boot for making too many screw ups during a performance.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
mjones1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven

The only other thing you need to think about is band practice vs. performing at a gig. It's one thing to practice with the boys, but an entirely different thing to perform in front of the crowd. As long as you can keep your nerves in check, you'll do well. Seasoned performers have gotten the boot for making too many screw ups during a performance.

I think the trick is more to make band practice and performing the same.

During band practice, after awhile anyway, you shouldn't be making mistakes all the time. You should be practicing "your set" from start to finish, and even practicing what you're going to say inbetween songs, as well as stage presence, movements, and your "guitar faces". In other words, practice the performance rather than the songs. Yes, you should be able to play every song perfectly, but after you achieve that, practice every other part of what makes a performance great. It'll help when you get on stage, even if it means just looking like you've played a handful of shows rather than none.

As far as performing goes, you should treat it pretty much the same as a band practice (but with no stops. Band practice should be like the above). No performance is going to be 100% perfect, but don't get too drunk before, and make sure you're doing the things you've practiced to the best of your ability during performance.

As far as crowds go during performance, most of the places I've performed have the stage lights shining so bright as to not be able to see any more than 1 or 2 rows of crowd, but no matter how much you can see, it's better to not worry about it. it's not like they're going to nail you to a pole and burn you if you suck. shit happens. we're all human. Just have fun. The more you seem to be having fun (while putting on a good performance), the more the crowd is going to have fun watching you.
mjones1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
link no1
Also cute and fluffy!!!

I wouldn't be bothered if somebody hasn't been in a band before. I'm the only member of my band that has ever had any previous experience in a band. This is actually the question I hear the most when I have a potential new member, so I wouldn't worry about it.

If the guy sees this as a problem then he has all rights to say no but I find it unlikely somebody would say this unless they are in a hugely well established band. Just do the usual things like:
- take everything you think you might need (pedals, extra picks, extra lead etc.)
- learn any songs you have been told to properly, not just one riff.
- Bring some cash. If you're hiring a room when you meet up you may need it. Really, you shouldn't be expected to pay anything towards the cost if you're just trying out and if you don't want to then don't but let's be honest, money talks and if you offer to contribute they may warm up to you a little more.
- Don't worry. Everybody get's nervous at these sorts of things and they will expect you will be nervous. Just try and be yourself the best you can. Don't try to be somebody your not. Just play and try to have fun.

The only other thing I would say is don't back out once you have committed. If the day you meet up you have no picks or you where only able to learn 75% of the song turn up anyway. Shit happens and you have more of a chance of it turning out well than if you don't turn up at all. I've said yes to somebody before that only knew about 3/4 of a song. He obviously tried to learn it since he nailed the parts he knew, he turned out to be an excellent guitarist.

Quote:
No performance is going to be 100% perfect, but don't get too drunk before, and make sure you're doing the things you've practiced to the best of your ability during performance.

When you get to performing, this.
Stage fright is a thing and alcohol does help but too much will make you sloppy and sound like ass.

I have massive stage fright (which is the thing I hate most about myself) and as a result have never played a gig sober. I've tried to but I've always started freaking out and panicking before I go on and the the other members ended up buying me drinks to calm me down -.- This is not to mention the obvious mistakes I would have made in both playing and performing.

Anyway, when we came to the realization that I have such bad stage fright and can't do it sober , rather than come to the decision of firing me (I was contemplating leaving but non of us wanted me to go because of this) the bassist had an idea...Practice 100% how we play...100%...which means I get drunk at every practice.

It seems silly but it means they can keep an eye on what I am drinking, how much I can drink and still be in 100% control with my playing and my actions and work out an average of what I am allowed to drink before playing a gig.

It's obviously not an exact science but it backs up the argument to practice 100% how you will play because since I have been doing that our gigs have been going amazingly. The worst thing to happen since doing this is tripping up getting off stage, which could easily happen sober.

If anything, this is a nice silly story for people of a guy who crumbles in the public eye until he finds a super powered substance that helps him defeat the public's evil, judgmental stare. For anybody who also has stage fright and solves it with alcohol it's a tip to not just turn up and think "I'll be fine, I know without prior testing that I can play 100% fine drunk"

Last edited by link no1 : 05-02-2013 at 09:59 PM.
link no1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #8
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

It's like any job. Some jobs don't require experience, but the better jobs do.

I personally wouldn't bother with someone who hasn't been in a band before, I personally don't have time for pet project members, a weak link in the band or sitting around while this bloke figures out how to play with other people.

But that's not the attitude of all bands, so I wouldn't let that discourage you. As noted above, some people wouldn't care.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:39 AM   #9
kilbie
Super Noob

If given a choice of two guitarists that are identical in all ways except for their experience, a band will almost certainly pick the guitar player with more experience. However, there are other things that are more important than experience. Reliable transport, equipment, guitar playing skills, motivation to learn songs, availability to practice and personality.

I don't think lack of experience is likely to hold you back all that much. And the bands that will hold it against you are probably not the right band for you anyway. It's not like every musician who has 'live gigging experience' will always be the right fit for the band. I've seen some pretty bad gigs and the musicians who played those gigs have 'gig experience' and 'experience playing in a band' but I certainly wouldn't want them in my band!
kilbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #10
Michele_R

Well, I think it may be a problem only if the band has other players who want to join the band and have to make a choiche between all of you...than, if the band has a certain way of thinking, they will try only the most experienced ones.
If you are the only one willing to join or if they make a practice with every person who wants to; than they'll decide according to your skills.

For example, I joined a band 1 month ago, and there was another guitarist willing to join them too.
I told them I've been playing for only 2 years and that I don't have live experience (even if I've been in a band), but I would like to try, maybe just as a rhythm guitarist (the band has 2 guitar players).
The other guy is a lot more self-confident and has been playing for 4-5 years...
But eventually both me and the other guy had a practice with the band (both of us had the same songs to learn) and they decided they want me to play in the band, because I seemed to be more reliable and serious about the band and with better playing skills compared to the other guy, even if I don't move around much when I play and probably I'll have some kind of stage fright at the first gigs.

So, I think that you should just practice 1 or 2 times with the band, so they can see how good you are at playing (and vice versa); if you have good skills, you'll have good chanches to be a member of this band.
About having been in a band before...it shouldn't really be that important...I know people who never been in a band ad do fine and other who has been in "bands" but still can't handle being part of/organizing one...

Of course, it's just my opinion, and sorry for any english mistake.
Michele_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #11
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

It really depends. A band that really wants to take things seriously and be professional and what-not might be turned off by no experience. When my original band was looking for a guitarist, we insisted on players having a demo. That didn't necessarily mean "experienced" in gigging, but certainly weeded out the inexperienced players. But for where we were at that time, being a band that was playing main stages at festivals and getting radio play, it was what we were insisting on.

The band I'm in now is almost the opposite. From a gigging standpoint, I have probably gigged more than everyone else in that band combined. None of them have ever recorded before. But for where I am now, I was looking for a project that was gong to go out and gig, but just play covers and have a good time while making some "new gear acquisition fund" money. For that, experience is mostly beside the point. They're good musicians and good people. That matters more for this particular project at this particular time.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.

Last edited by axemanchris : 05-17-2013 at 11:41 PM.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: