Old 04-19-2013, 04:17 PM   #61
Freddiez79

SD jb sh-4 and sh-1 59n
Freddiez79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #62
DarthV

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosmithfan95
Also, since I missed your this whole amp thing in my first post, i thought I'd add some insight.

Both of these posts basically tie in with what I believe. Tubes aren't always better than Solid States. As MrFibble said, solid states seem to handle lower notes a bit more and from what I've witnessed, Tubes are good with anything higher than Drop C/C Standard. I mean, why do you think so many bassist use SS amps as opposed to tubes? Tubes usually won't handle really low notes (like on a 7-string) so well with the downside of the higher pitched not have a "pleasing" sound (most of the time, that is).

And yeah, considering many people have different definitions of what they classify as "Thrash Metal", I think the Peavey Vypyr 30 is a great choice. I actually had the opportunity to play them a bit and they can handle a vast amount of tones that sound great even for a modelling amp.

The reasons a lot of bass players play solid state are because they want to stay clean and due to how much power you need to drive the low frequencies. They usually are going for heads that can output 300w+. For a tube head, that's 6 power valves, beefy OT and a lot of weight. Fender, Orange, Ampeg etc make valve bass amps. Just cheaper, more power and lighter to go SS.

Have no idea where you get the idea that valve amps can't handle low frequencies, there aren't many metal bands that don't use valve amps. That's with 7s or 6s tuned well below C standard.
Kemper KPA
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:23 AM   #63
FLuX25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthV
The reasons a lot of bass players play solid state are because they want to stay clean and due to how much power you need to drive the low frequencies. They usually are going for heads that can output 300w+. For a tube head, that's 6 power valves, beefy OT and a lot of weight. Fender, Orange, Ampeg etc make valve bass amps. Just cheaper, more power and lighter to go SS.

Have no idea where you get the idea that valve amps can't handle low frequencies, there aren't many metal bands that don't use valve amps. That's with 7s or 6s tuned well below C standard.

so do you think that blackstar ht-5 would be ok with a 7 string and wont get too muddy with the low string?
FLuX25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:41 AM   #64
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLuX25
so do you think that blackstar ht-5 would be ok with a 7 string and wont get too muddy with the low string?

If you know what you're doing it will definately work.

http://tonefinder.com/files/38-ssdTest-17.mp3

Here's a boosted HT-5 with a 7-string.
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
JesusCrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:23 AM   #65
FLuX25

Wow that sounds **** amazing! Can anybody tell me how loud the blackstar ht - 5 combo can go compared to a line6 spider III 30 watt? the rythm guitarist in my band has the spider III30 and it copes fine with small gigs and practices so if the ht-5c is as loud as that it will be fine.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #66
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Just out of curiosity, have you tried any of the systems designed for amplifying basses, or perhaps keyboards?
Not with low tunings. I tried an Orange bass amp with regular 6-string Eb Standard, chasing that early electric blues tone, and didn't like it very much. I've heard people using keyboard amps and small vocal PAs with guitar and it's sounded okay clean, not heard anyone trying it with distortion, though.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #67
Doadman

A 5w valve amp will live with a Vypyr 30w, partly because as the volume increases, valve amps tend to sound better whereas solid state amps start to sound worse. The only problem with a 5w valve as opposed to a 30w solid state is a lack of clean headroom. A 20w Jet City is a very good amp and quite cheap but again, not huge amounts of headroom.
Mark Tremonti Wah & Carl Martin Quattro
Doadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #68
FLuX25

when u say head room what exactly do you mean ? I'm pretty new to this sort of thing.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #69
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLuX25
when u say head room what exactly do you mean ? I'm pretty new to this sort of thing.

Headroom, how clean the sound stays as you crank the volume up before it starts to distort and potentially turn ugly. In tube amps some poweramp distortion is considered a good thing and is usually the source of classic rock distortions. But even that can be not desireable. With solid state amps poweramp distortion is always a bad thing, it sounds terrible.

Blackstar HT's are hybrids in both pre and poweramp section, I have no idea how it behaves when pushed loud.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 04-20-2013 at 03:36 PM.
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #70
FLuX25

What i was trying to find out earlier but didn't get an answer was how loud can the blackstar ht-5 Combo http://www.blackstaramps.com/products/ht-5c/ go compared to a 30 watt modeling amp.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #71
Doadman

It depends on the sound you're after. If you want it loud and clean, probably the Vypyr will be louder because it will have a bit more headroom on the clean channel but the more you push the distortion on the Vypyr, the worse it will sound, which is why you need a higher wattage if you're gigging with solid state amps. By the same token, distorted solid state amps can often sound better than distorted valve amps IF you're playing at bedroom levels but the louder you get, the better the valve amp will start to sound. The solid state amp will not only start to sound worse as the volume rises, it will also tend to cut through the mix in a band worse as well. This is why solid state amps are great as practice amps but if you want to gig with one, you'll need at LEAST 75w and preferably higher so that you can be loud enough without having to turn the amp up too much.

I use a Blackstar HT 60w, which is the same series as the HT-5 so I can give you some general pointers about it. Firstly, it does sound better and better as it gets louder. The distortion is fantastic. It's a bit like a Marshall but with a more modern edge to it. I use a 60w because it gives me clean headroom as well as a couple of other features that don't come on the smaller ones that are useful for gigging. My Blackstar also dispels another myth that is often put about on here - namely that when you're gigging you need a 'stack'. Rubbish - you don't. I used to use a Marshall 4X12 cab with my amp and it was completely impractical and largely a waste. Firstly, when you're playing in a pub/club, space is REALLY at a premium so a 4X12 just uses up valuable space on stage and gives you transport issues. Secondly, I found that on a 4X12, most of it is wasted. The bottom 2 speakers go straight into the audiences legs unless you're up on a reasonable size stage so you're only left with 2 speakers. I find I can get much the same effect by using a 1X12 combo on an amp stand, especially as a lout of what the audience hears is coming through the PA anyway.

If you want an amp for playing at home or something to tide you over until you can get a valve amp, get the Vypyr 30w as it is very good for what it is. If you want an amp to practice at home but also have the odd practice session with a band and the odd jam night/gig, get a Vypyr 75w as it will be great at home and is adequate for very limited live use. If you really plan on gigging, you really are better off with a valve amp and for gigging, I'd say 15w is an absolute minimum and if you want any sort of clean headroom, you'll need at least 30w. My first valve amp was a 40w and it was enough. The only reason I have the 60w version is the features it has on it that the 40w Blackstar doesn't. If you REALLY like cleans, get a 40w Fender and a couple of good distortion/overdrive boxes. The other guitarist in my band uses a Fender 40w valve amp and a Blackstar HT-Dual pedal and the result is awesome. Realistically, valve amps cost more so it may not be something you can afford to do right now and that's fine - we all have to start somewhere but if you go solid state, please don't spend much money on it because you honestly won't be wanting to keep it long term. The first decent sized amp I got was a 65w solid state and I wanted to use it for gigs. It soon became apparent that it wasn't ideal and although I started playing with a band using that amp, by the time we did our first gig, it had long since gone and I'd changed it for a valve amp. I'd never go back. When I tried that 65w solid state amp I also listened to a valve amp and thought they both sounded good but looking back, I now realise that my ear simply wasn't developed enough and doing the same exercise now, the solid state amp sounds awful in comparison. Your ear will also develop over time and you'll wonder why you ever thought a solid state 30w sounded good.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #72
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Even though I think doadman is extremely biased, I will say that he's right about getting a tube amp over and Vypyr for gigging.

In my experience, the Vypyr is unreliable. It's not just a solid state, but also digital software, and buggy at times. I've used most of the firmwares, and the one I'm using now is the least buggy, but it still freezes when I cycle through that presets too fast. I don't gig with it, and I'd be scared if I had to. For bedroom play and band practice, it's not a big deal, but I wouldn't want to use it in a show.

Sorry I didn't think about this earlier. And I'll also mention that those problems that doadman mentioned, about solid states sounding worse as the volume increases, aren't really an issue on a Vypyr. It doesn't sound better like a tube amp might, but it certainly doesn't sound worse.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #73
Doadman

Although it's fair to say I don't own a Vypyr, in my defence, my cousin has a Vypyr 30w that he bought on my recommendation so I have played through it a few times. It is good as a practice amp and I have no issue with that but I stand by the fact it's not a gigging amp.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #74
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

The thing about solid states and power amp distortion is you have to be driving them really absurdly hard and loud to get any power amp distortion at all. Yes, when it does happen, it sounds awful. But they stay clean for much longer, even at the same wattage. A 5w valve amp will be maxed out and clipping far, far before a 30w solid state amp will (or a 5w SS amp, for that matter).

Almost all distortion with solid state has to be intentional. You can't really drive a solid state unless you're boosting everything five times over. Valve amps can be distorted with much less force; simply turning them up loud usually does the trick, or using higher-output pickups will do it.

A bigger and more common problem with solid states is that by the time the power amp is clipping, you're driving the speaker so hard it's going to sound atrocious (if not clipping itself) and most peoples' experience with solid states is with small combo amps that have crap speakers to begin with.

That said, solid state amps' volume is more directly related to their power than with valve amps. A 10w valve amp and a 50w valve amp can both be equally as loud, quality of the sound notwithstanding. A 10w solid state amp will be completely drowned out by a 50w solid state amp. Not to mention, when pitting a valve amp against a solid state, the solid state needs far more power to seem as loud. Even though solid states and valve amps technically create the same volume, to human hearing the valve amp will be much louder.

With valve amps, you buy more power for more clean headroom and less compression. With solid state amps you're buying more power for more volume, especially when you need to drive more speakers.

As far as the 5w valve vs 30w SS thing goes, I personally do not think it particularly matters. If anything I would lean towards the solid state, at least for any kind of metal. A 5w valve amp can just about be heard over a drum kit, but not well and at that point you'll be getting such a compressed sound that even if there were no drums, nobody would really be able to tell what you were playing. I personally would not use anything less than 15w. 25w or more is what I'd aim for, if I was sticking with valves.
With solid state, clarity isn't such an issue. It's going to sound pretty much the same no matter what volume you're playing at. The issue becomes pushing enough air and having enough presence to the sound. A 1x12", or single-speaker combo, isn't going to cut it. You're going to need at least two 12" speakers and power to match.

As someone who uses solid state and valve amps simultaneously, I really wouldn't recommend either 5w valve or 30w solid state. 15/50 is what I'd aim for, minimum.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #75
aerosmithfan95
Call me Billy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthV

Well, I should have been a bit more clear on that. With basses, when you play them through a tube amp, they sound a bit weird and odd to me. Now, the thing with down-tuned guitars (Drop B or a 7 string), the notes are in the frequency that bass guitars usually play and most of the time, it sounds bad to me.

And I agree with you, Solid States for bass allow you to get louder while remaining clean. In my opinion, I don't think lower frequencies don't do justice to tube amps and vice versa.

And again, I just woke up, so I'm sorry if this is a bit foggy.

Edit: There have been instances where lowered tuned bands sound great, but most of the time, I don't like their tone.

Guitar --> Pedals --> Amplifier

Last edited by aerosmithfan95 : 04-21-2013 at 04:35 PM.
aerosmithfan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #76
nick@lacemusic

If you're looking for clear passive tone that'll run with thrash metal and down tuned sounds but still hold true give the Lace Drop and Gain a shot with a Nitro Hemi in the neck. The Drop and Gain has the backing of metal man Wino, and Bill Kelliher runs the nitro hemis in his Gibson Custom guitars. I personally had to back off a bunch of mid range just cuz of the power in these bad boys. We like to think they can run with any active pickups, and they dont get too much bite when clean like a SH-8 or some of the other high gain pickups can. Very smooth sound but enough bottom end to chug the single top string. hope this helps feel free to ask about more i work for Lace.
nick@lacemusic is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: