Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Punk & Ska
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #21
man_suits
and stuff...

Blood Meridian -Cormac McCarthy (best book ever)

Donald Barthelme, Hemingway, Tom Robbins, and just a lot of other off beat post modern stuff.
man_suits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #22
MattTheArsonist
Registered Stooge

I've only ever read Child of God by Cormac McCarthy, but from what I hear everyone seems to love Blood Meridian, I suppose I better sit down and read it.
MattTheArsonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:10 AM   #23
Iluvpowerchords
Flau-BEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

Blood Meridian is a durn good yarn and contains perhaps my favorite antagonist of all time so read it.

Reading is neat. I recently fell into The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon and have no choice but to read my way out. I can't believe I slept on dude so long.

His descriptors are amazing, evocative, et al.

They are disarmingly weird but incredibly apt and it makes the things he is describing excitingly vivid. This is where I would give examples for a school paper.

He is also great at describing food. I am finding that oddly very important to me in a writer. I think it is a mark of quality even. I suppose it is because having a relationship to food is such an integral part of the human experience that if you can convey that in any kind of novel way you will probably do well with other, weightier aspects of it.

For instance I just finished reading The Windup Girl, which is a novel partially about what happens when we **** with our food supply too eagerly and I was not impressed with it at all.

OMG sometimes I think I have wasted all my good thoughts on this silly website. Must find other mediums of expression.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:00 AM   #24
bradulator
new sincerity

The REAL question is do you use physical books or e-books?
bradulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #25
MattTheArsonist
Registered Stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvpowerchords
Blood Meridian is a durn good yarn and contains perhaps my favorite antagonist of all time so read it.

Reading is neat. I recently fell into The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon and have no choice but to read my way out. I can't believe I slept on dude so long.

His descriptors are amazing, evocative, et al.

They are disarmingly weird but incredibly apt and it makes the things he is describing excitingly vivid. This is where I would give examples for a school paper.

He is also great at describing food. I am finding that oddly very important to me in a writer. I think it is a mark of quality even. I suppose it is because having a relationship to food is such an integral part of the human experience that if you can convey that in any kind of novel way you will probably do well with other, weightier aspects of it.

For instance I just finished reading The Windup Girl, which is a novel partially about what happens when we **** with our food supply too eagerly and I was not impressed with it at all.

OMG sometimes I think I have wasted all my good thoughts on this silly website. Must find other mediums of expression.

If you haven't read Kavalier and Clay by Chabon, you gotta. That book will blow yo' mind. I love Wonder Boys by him, too.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #26
MattTheArsonist
Registered Stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradulator

I read both, sucka! Mostly physical.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #27
man_suits
and stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradulator

I prefer to own a physical copy of the books I read, but thanks to college owning my bank account I have to make do with what I can afford.

This is the main reason why I wish that the used book store thing would catch on in my area.

I love used book stores.
man_suits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:07 AM   #28
█▐▌█▐▌

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvpowerchords

i have been keeping a diary lately it is so much better, i recommend it.

Last edited by █▐▌█▐▌ : 07-19-2013 at 01:00 AM.
█▐▌█▐▌ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #29
eric_wearing
KillerOfIdiocracy

I read these three great books involving punk culture...well one but the other two are worth a mention:

Mosh Pit. This lesbian learns this other chick is no good for her all while living the stereotypical punk bohemian lifestyle of a girl with a doped up mommy.

Heavy Metal & You. Despite the title and the main character's love for all things metal, it's more punk than metal. Anyway, it's about a metalhead teen who finds this preppy girl who he's taken a liking to. The Girl turns out to be evil.

Godless. Agnostic going on Atheist kid decides to start his own religion as a joke with his friends (well..they aren't friends) and it goes too far causing problems for the entire city. Better watch what's in your water

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBKGUITAR
To be a good lead guitar you must be VERY GOOD AT RYTHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
My motto: Play what the song needs you to play!
eric_wearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:56 AM   #30
pinheadslts75
BrainDamage

These days mostly textbooks and R.A. Salvatore.
pinheadslts75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: