Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
ZJones1994

Wanting to learn guitar, need help picking guitar

Hey y'all, I've been wanting to learn guitar lately and it would be for country 99% of the time. Maybe some classic rock songs so I figure an acoustic is a better place to start. Eventually, assuming I want to and get to that point, I will probably get an electric for some of the newer country. I have a budget of no more than 350 for the guitar. Depending on the price i may get a hardshell case since im about to leave for the Navy and will be taking it with me to whatever base i get stationed to. I've heard look for Alvarez or Takamine and possibly Yamaha. I quickly realized theres a lot to learn and wanted the advice of people who knew what they are talking about and arn't trying to sell me something.
ZJones1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
ZJones1994

This is one I've been looking at. I like the sunburst finish and with that i should be able to get a hard shell case, stand and some picks, strings, a strap etc to get me started. Thoughts?
Alvarez RD16CE Regent Series Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric Cutaway Guitar Sunburst Dreadnought. I couldnt post the link but its on musicians friend.

Last edited by ZJones1994 : 07-12-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
stepchildusmc

you squids... i tell ya...
i havent tried one yet but a Fender Tim Armstrong model Hellcat should fit what your looking for. 275 and enough left over for a HSC.
i first learned to play with an Ovation Thunderbolt that i "borrowed" from a squid on the John C. on my first cruise to the middle east years and years ago.
with Hellcat being a sacred Navy name, how could you not get it?
Old 07-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #4
ZJones1994

I'll definitely look into it! I'm going to look at one of the Alvarez guitars at a local shop with one of my friends next week and if that doesnt suit me I'll ask about the fender! And thank ya for your service
Old 07-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
stepchildusmc

this video has a really good lesson on solid wood tops vs laminated wood tops(toward end ).
if your looking for good sound quality and it's something your going to keep for a few years, i'd go with a solid top. the "lam" top on the alvarez your looking at will lack sound quality once you start getting an understanding of a guitars sound characteristics.
the Yamaha's FG series is usually the most recommended guitar in this forum. solid tops, great sound, all around good "bang for the buck" the FG700, a Snark tuner, and a good capo( kyser, G7th) will put you under your budget and you'll have everything you need.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
laiceps11@gmail

sir can you please visit this video. i just want to know if what technique i used on this video thanks. [forbidden link]
laiceps11@gmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
laiceps11@gmail

guitar picking
Saturday, July 13, 2013
[forbidden link]

can someone tell me if i used the wrist picking style or arm picking style on this video?thanks for all comments
Old 07-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
laiceps11@gmail

guitar picking
Saturday, July 13, 2013
[forbidden link]

Rate This Thread: