Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 05-21-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
DaFjory
In Lane we trust

Does anyone play legato licks like this?

So I'm trying to learn bits and pieces of the Fade To Black ending solo, specifically the part right at the end where he does the legato licks followed by the big whole tone bends. However, I seem to be playing them in a weird way which still works perfectly well IMO. Observe the hammers and sparse pickstrokes...

Code:
|-15p12----12h15p12h14p12----12h15p12h14p12----12-| |-------12----------------12----------------12----| |-------------------------------------------------| u d d d d d d |-17p14----14h17p14----14h17p14----14h17p14----14-| |-------15----------15----------15----------15----| |-------------------------------------------------| u d d d d d d d d |-19p15----15h19p15h17p15----15h19p15h17p15----15-| |-------17----------------17----------------17----| |-------------------------------------------------| u d d d d d d |-21p17----17h21p17----17h21p17----17h21p17----17-| |-------19----------19----------19----------19----| |-------------------------------------------------| u d d d d d d d d

I don't actually pick much except the first note on each pattern to get things going, and 2 downstrokes to get from the fifth to the sixth string. Everything else is hammered or pulled. Otherwise, it feels pretty much like sweeping and has a nice flow.

So does anyone else do it this way? I normally loathe economy picking, but I can't imagine ever playing this lick differently. I even do the same for the Holy Wars solo (the fast pentatonic bit).

What would be the normal picking pattern?

Last edited by DaFjory : 05-21-2010 at 08:54 PM.
DaFjory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Timothongz

I guess the normal picking pattern would be to pick the first, second and fourth note in the pattern.

Something like 12 15p12 14p12
Timothongz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
DaFjory
In Lane we trust

Ergh. People really do that? Isn't that just adding more pickstrokes for the hell of it, when 90% of the notes can be legato'ed?

If it's a tone thing, then... well, surely that's negligible when played at speed with loads of gain.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
plainsight

I will attempt to be brief...

Choose your method of playing based on what is comfortable, efficient, and agreeable to the ear (tone). Freepower, Shawn Lane, Paul Gilbert, etc. are not going to kick down the door to your house and beat you up for not playing a certain way. The previous stigma is propagated all over this forum...you are playing for yourself, no one else. Sometimes you need to get a certain tone by playing a certain way that may or may not be deemed most efficient.

If I were you, I would practice different patterns of pickstrokes just for the hell of it. See what different types of sounds you can get.
Originally Posted by Junior#1
Gilbert mutes with both hands. Palm muting and left hand muting. As for anchoring, he doesn't. He doesn't need to. After all, he's the creator of life, the universe, and everything.

Last edited by plainsight : 05-21-2010 at 12:23 PM.
plainsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
van01010100
My pinky? What's that?

I pick in the same places but different upstrokes/downstrokes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDiUEjFrwKk#t=1m13s

Solo covers:
Floyd - Money, Time, Comfortably Numb, Shine On, Another Brick
Nancy Sinatra - Bang Bang
Radiohead - Nude (Improv)
Satriani - Baroque
Zeppelin - SIBLY
Metallica - FTB
Queen - BR
Vai - FTLOG
van01010100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:15 PM   #6
DaFjory
In Lane we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsight
Choose your method of playing based on what is comfortable, efficient, and agreeable to the ear (tone). Freepower, Shawn Lane, Paul Gilbert, etc. are not going to kick down the door to your house and beat you up for not playing a certain way. The previous stigma is propagated all over this forum...you are playing for yourself, no one else. Sometimes you need to get a certain tone by playing a certain way that may or may not be deemed most efficient.

Oh it's definitely comfortable, and it seems very efficient (as in, despite perhaps being 'wrong' in terms of picking norms, there's a definite flow to the way I'm doing it), and I think it sounds lovely. I can see myself getting them up to full tempo quite soon.

Basically, all I was trying to get at was if others also do it the same way. Nice answer, though. It's appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by van01010100
I pick in the same places but different upstrokes/downstrokes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDiUEjFrwKk#t=1m13s

Nice guitar, and nice playing.

Last edited by DaFjory : 05-21-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFjory
If it's a tone thing, then... well, surely that's negligible when played at speed with loads of gain.

Personally I don't find so but then I do favour a tone which exaggerates pick attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

I'd probably play that something like they way you're playing. Sometimes licks have their own little logic and they don't "fit" as well into even accomplished picker's preferred style - I generally alt pick but there's some licks that only make sense with eco picking.

Quote:
Freepower, Shawn Lane, Paul Gilbert, etc. are not going to kick down the door to your house and beat you up for not playing a certain way.

>.>

<.<

Thanks for the alibi, buddy.

(and the seriously flattering company. )
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #9
Kurai X
Jason Becker die-hard fan

Hey don't worry, it's perfectly fine, youre doing a little of "economy picking", the little sweep.
You don't HAVE to pick every note, it just depends of the sound or the feel you're looking for.

But if you're looking for "physical perfection" I'd say that's the best way to play that lick.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:04 PM   #10
GbAdimDb5m7
UG's Nutsack

I like to play like the original,It gives the notes more power and in my opinion it sounds better,What I hate about the solo is the part where you put your hand on 2 strings and bend the 3rd a couple of times,I never get that prefect.
GbAdimDb5m7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #11
Aleksi
More Metal Than Thou

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFjory
Ergh. People really do that? Isn't that just adding more pickstrokes for the hell of it, when 90% of the notes can be legato'ed?

Picking and legato have very different sounds. Personally, I don't really like the sound of legato much, so I pick almost everything.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:38 AM   #12
DaFjory
In Lane we trust

Well, it didn't take me too long to get this technique up to a reasonable speed. I'm at about 150 now, so I'm very happy.

Anyone who hates picking excessively should try this, because it feels like your fingers are doing a happy dance!
Old 06-22-2010, 02:50 AM   #13
DeathByDestroyr
not autistic

I would just play that strictly inside-picking. But hey, we all play a little different, thats the cool part. As long as you don't waste a bunch of motion keep it up!
Old 11-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #14
azrael667

That's just the way I play it. Whenever I see a pattern like that (and Kirk likes those patterns) I just legato it. At that speed you can barely hear the difference.
azrael667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #15
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael667
That's just the way I play it. Whenever I see a pattern like that (and Kirk likes those patterns) I just legato it. At that speed you can barely hear the difference.

You bumped a three year old thread to say that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #16
azrael667

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You bumped a three year old thread to say that?

I swear it showed up for me on the UG front page
azrael667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #17
DaFjory
In Lane we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael667
I swear it showed up for me on the UG front page

Told ya.

Works great, don't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicer666
he sucks on the remnants of Lane's testicles

Let some LIGHTS into your life!

Now read about her!
Old 11-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #18
joshbeetler

I think that's exactly how you should do it man.
joshbeetler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:20 PM   #19
nubsedasse

Bumping this here interesting thread...

Legato has nothing to do with picking a note or not picking a note. Legato simply means that notes are tied together with no distinguishable pause.

You could say that you are rearticulating a note when doing hammer-ons since the rapid left hand fretting on the note rearticulates it practically like picking the note. When using pull-offs the lower note, usually the index-finger, has much less sustain and could be called non-rearticulated.

When doing slides and bends you are playing legato-mode without rearticulation.

Legato does not exclude rearticulation (as picking is) but merely defines that a sequence of notes are to be played in succession with no distinguishable pause between them.
nubsedasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: