Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-28-2013, 01:19 AM   #1
beau05
UG Senior Member

Am I in bands for the wrong reasons?

Afternoon all!

This is a long one, patience is a virtue

I currently play in 3 bands, 2 being originals and 1 a tribute band (Nullifier, Stormforge, STD-Anthrax tribute)

It all started about 18 months ago. I was jamming with Stormforge when I was asked to fill in for STD, it was no problem as it was only a tribute band, and I pretty much knew all the songs anyway. Unfortunately I had to leave Stormforge (power metal) as it wasn't the 'complete package' of a band that I really needed at that time, but I continued with STD.

So in STD, the guitarist and drummer play in Nullifier. Nullifier to me was the complete package, music I loved to play and listen to. I've been in this band since October 2011, we've done some awesome stuff and its been a lot of fun

Stormforge in the mean time after I left, recruited this amazing guitar player from South America. Due to me leaving and him joining, they went on to open for Lord, and then were offered an opening slot for Nightwish. Unfortunately his visa expired, so I was asked to fill the void temporarily (they know its temporary, but want me to stay), which I've been slaving away at for the last 5 months

Due to the intensity of the last half of 2012, I've found myself exhausted, uninspired, and unmotivated. Its come to the point where I'm not enjoying playing music any more, as if its become a job or a chore just to even pick up the guitar and practice. I've made promises to Nullifier, as I see them as brothers, and to Stormforge, as all they need is exposure. STD is just a fun band, but that too is pretty taxing.

I feel like I'm only in these bands not because I feel I can't be replaced, but because it feels as if my fellow band members are making me out as irreplaceable. I know full well that there's some kid out there waiting for his chance in the spotlight, who would love the opportunity, but the way it stands in NZ, musicians are few and far between, it takes up to a year to find the right people, even then people have to be 2 or 3 bands just because there aren't enough muso's to go around. There are also a lot of gigs/plans coming up for all 3 bands, with EP's for both the originals bands in the works

I've already enjoyed my 5 minutes of fame, I'm just looking for advice to see if its a wise decision to take a year off and disappoint my bands, or tough it out. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but lately I really just can't be f*cked

Thanks in advance to those who read this. Cheers
Old 01-28-2013, 03:24 AM   #2
crushingmetal

Wow ok here's my 2 cents.

You say that playing music has become like a job or chore, well to me it seems like music pretty much is your job. You're in 3 bands, you do it extensively, no wonder it feels like a job. I think that anything you do for long enough, writing, sports, computer programming, whatever, will eventually start to feel like a job and if you're getting burnt out playing music, absolutely give it a break for a bit. That's why companies give employees leaves of absence, why sports players do sabbaticals, because everyone gets tired with whatever they're doing if they do it for too long.

Sure if you take a year off you'd disappoint your bands, but if you're as "irreplaceable" as they make you out to be, I'm sure they'd understand where you're coming from. An alternative could be cutting down the number of bands you're in, just focussing on one maybe so you don't have so much on your plate.

I appreciate what you're saying about the scarcity of musicians in NZ and the fact that your bands have EP's and gigs coming up so you don't want to ditch them just as they could be about to make a breakthrough. On the other hand though, if one of your bands does make a breakthrough, you'll be locked in long-term and it will probably be even harder to take a break. Although I guess you might start enjoying things more if a band starts getting more popular. It's a hard one man, good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:42 AM   #3
rolandroi
it is known

you should be glad you're in a band.
rolandroi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:40 AM   #4
beau05
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushingmetal
Wow ok here's my 2 cents.

Thanks for your advice man

Another issue is I'm starting a building apprenticeship in February, and this is something I've always wanted to do as a career, and for security. I'm definitely at a point where I need to make a choice, as I've been asked by both bands if I ever wanted to tour/go to Europe etc., and the simple answer is no, that whole 'buy a house and raise a family' buzz is something I've always wanted, as much if not more so than becoming a 'rockstar'

They could definitely find someone to replace me, its just more a matter of time. It could take a week, a month, or even a year, but the longer that hole is left the less likely the band will be willing to carry on, and this year is looking to be a relatively big year for both bands (in NZ at least). If either band stops because they can't find a suitable replacement, that would suck balls

I'll just have to see how it goes, sleep on it for a while, talk to the drummers from each band (these guys are the reasons I'm in the bands/joined the bands), and play it by ear haha

Cheers
Old 01-28-2013, 04:50 AM   #5
Rawshik
Homophobic Racist

Hey! My band is called STD. Give it back.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:59 AM   #6
beau05
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawshik
Hey! My band is called STD. Give it back.

Haha sorry man, its just an Anthrax tribute band (Spreading the disease). Do you have a band link/facebook or something? I'll talk with our drummer and see if we can change it if we have to
Old 01-28-2013, 06:39 AM   #7
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Looks like a choice has been to be made, what can you say, growing up sucks!

You are quite right that a lot of people would like to be in your position, or at least the fantasy part of it. The question however for you is whether you want to take up music full time, see if these bands "make it" or not. Personally I'd give it a shot as I think you only get one, and this is it for you. However if you feel you want to put other priotities forward, the apprenticeship/family stuff, go ahead and do that.

Im always at war with real career and music too. Should I move to a larger firm at the cost of my music obligations? Or continue music knowing that I wont reach my full potential as a high class lawyer? The answers are really unclear and youre probably asking the same questions of yourself.

As for getting burnt out, that happens, but youre not in a position to leave for a year, not if you expect others to wait for you.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:35 AM   #8
beau05
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Looks like a choice has been to be made, what can you say, growing up sucks!

Thanks for your advice man, and I agree growing up sucks balls! haha

I don't fully expect the bands to wait for a year for me to come back, that would be a pretty shitty thing to do, its more about me taking a break, weighing up my options, and then getting back into the scene (if I want to), whether it be in an existing band (not the ones I'm currently in), or starting fresh

I think I will see how it goes though, cut back on the bands I'm in (like has been said above), play it out for 6 months or so, and then reassess my situation

I'll see how working on my 'real' job and playing music at the same time pans out, I'll probably need to make some difficult choices in the near future if it gets out of control

Cheers
Old 01-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau05
I'll see how working on my 'real' job and playing music at the same time pans out, I'll probably need to make some difficult choices in the near future if it gets out of control

Sounds like a plan. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Rate This Thread: